Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fanboy accusations won't work on me.

The facts stand on their own.

And the fact is, Tesla has admitted no guilt on this matter and has settled it with this group.

Out of that settlement, the 126 plaintiffs will cover their own attorney fees.

At the end of the day, this was much ado about nothing and Tesla can continue on with developing products without this gadfly type lawsuit in the picture.

Nuisance lawsuits like this one happen all the time. And often times a company can decide to offer a token settlement as opposed to a longer legal process for reasons already explained.

But one added bonus in this case is that people like yourself perceive this as the plaintiffs having "won" their lawsuit.

That's great that you think that, when in actuality Tesla is offering up $960k in cash and merchandise, to be split 126 ways, after the attorneys get their cut, to make these people go away.

You are within your right to go ahead believing that Tesla just "lost" a lawsuit because they falsely represented horsepower and was found guilty of lying about horsepower and found guilty of deceiving people about horsepower.

That won't make you a fanboy. Just mistaken.

Last edited:
Fanboy accusations won't work on me.

The facts stand on their own.

And the fact is, Tesla has admitted no guilt on this matter and has settled it with this group.

Out of that settlement, the 126 plaintiffs will cover their own attorney fees.

At the end of the day, this was much ado about nothing and Tesla can continue on with developing products without this gadfly type lawsuit in the picture.

Nuisance lawsuits like this one happen all the time. And often times a company can decide to offer a token settlement as opposed to a longer legal process for reasons already explained.

But one added bonus in this case is that people like yourself perceive this as the plaintiffs having "won" their lawsuit.

That's great that you think that, when in actuality Tesla is offering up $960k in cash and merchandise, to be split 126 ways, after the attorneys get their cut, to make these people go away.

You are within your right to go ahead believing that Tesla just "lost" a lawsuit because they falsely represented horsepower and was found guilty of lying about horsepower and found guilty of deceiving people about horsepower.

That won't make you a fanboy. Just mistaken.

:D - I did not call you a fanboy nor have I expressed any opinion about the outfall of the case in Norway, so I don't know where you are getting all these things from. You said you couldn't remember a case and I said Apple and also just noted the similarity of the two companies loyal customers.

I'm sure you are not a fan of anybody but yourself and your ability to write many and long posts.

:D - I did not call you a fanboy

Awwwww, whatsa matter? Is it that Tesla didn't come out at any worse than it did in this matter and that they elected to settle this suit for the cmall amount that they did?

$960k. That woman who spilled coffee on herself got more than that from McDonalds.

We get it. Some think that Tesla lied about the horsepower. And of course lying about horsepower is a "hanging offense". And Tesla wasn't hanged and some don't like that.

I didn't accuse you of calling me a fanboy.

I was just letting you know in advance that approach won't work on me just in case you were considering using it.:D

nor have I expressed any opinion about the outfall of the case in Norway, so I don't know where you are getting all these things from.

Just being preemptive and informative lest your thought processes be currently, or headed in the wrong direction when it comes to the significance of this latest news on this matter.

It's a glamourless and thankless job. But someone has to do it. And I wasn't busy. :D

You said you couldn't remember a case and I said Apple and also just noted the similarity of the two companies loyal customers.

Yeah, so?

I'm sure you are not a fan of anybody but yourself and your ability to write many and long posts.

That's not true. I'm a Lakers fan too. :D

Last edited:
Indirect feedback, but good feedback.

Interesting observation.

And since Tesla no doubt watches this board, as well as uses other more conventional methods to assist them when it comes to customer "feedback", I wonder what they think when they discover that it's only a few who are so bent out of shape about this matter and see it as a matter of substance.

Also how sympathetic is the general public ("John Q. Public") or a jury going to be towards a handful of people who can afford to spend a $125,000.00 on an "electric luxury car" complaining that they got "gypped" out of a few horsepower because of the wording "horsepower motor power"?

Wouldn't surprise me if Tesla had the attitude that in the overall scheme of things, and with all else going on within the company, that a $960 grand settlement in cash or merchandise to 126 people over the matter, in an area where overall Model S deliveries were said to be down anyway [updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP" was actually "generous" and about all that was worth to them.

Apparently the plaintiffs and their attorneys weren't convinced that any more than what was offered in the settlement after attorney fees and other legal expenses were met, was to be had, as they agreed to the settlement.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: linkster
$960k. That woman who spilled coffee on herself got more than that from McDonalds.

You comparing this to the McDonald's "spilled coffee" lawsuit proves how ignorant you are of all legal matters. She got extreme third degree burns through her clothes and almost died after going into shock. All she asked was for them to cover her medical costs of about 5k and they countered with 800 dollars and some coupons. Eventually a jury awarded her with two days worth of coffee sales or about 2 million, and the money to cover her medical bills as asked for. If you want to actually change your mind on something look up these very NSFW pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/Gt2o8zc.jpg

You comparing this to the McDonald's "spilled coffee" lawsuit proves how ignorant you are of all legal matters. She got extreme third degree burns through her clothes and almost died after going into shock. All she asked was for them to cover her medical costs of about 5k and they countered with 800 dollars and some coupons. Eventually a jury awarded her with two days worth of coffee sales or about 2 million, and the money to cover her medical bills as asked for. If you want to actually change your mind on something look up these very NSFW pictures.

http://i.imgur.com/Gt2o8zc.jpg

A judge reduced the amount to $640k. Both parties appealed that amount before finally settling on an amount said to have been less than $600k.

The plaintiff's attorneys had argued that the coffee was "defective" and should not have been served at hotter than 140 degrees.

That the plaintiff had actually spilled the coffee on herself and sustained her injuries as a result of the spill and the spill was not as a result of any wrongdoing on McDonald's part, is also a fact perhaps not widely known.

It is reported that the woman ordered the coffee at the drive through and as a passenger seated in the passenger seat of a vehicle being operated by someone else.

She held the coffee between her knees, while she removed the lid and attempted to add cream and sugar.

The coffee spilled during this attempt and she sustained the injuries and ultimately McDonalds was sued on the grounds that the coffee was "defective" as it was hotter than 140 degrees. When it comes to any reference to frivolous lawsuits, this case is often times mentioned.

I'm familiar with the public facts of that case. And she should have been compensated for her injuries after spilling the coffee on herself if McDonalds was at fault as her injuries were serious.

But this particular horsepower matter, isn't.

Perhaps this is the reason why it was settled for such a token amount.

Last edited:
A judge reduced the amount to $640k. Both parties appealed that amount before finally settling on an amount said to have been less than $600k.

I'm familiar with the public facts of that case. And she should have been compensated for her injuries as they were serious.

But this particular horsepower matter, isn't.
I agree with you there with the tesla. I didn't mean to come off so offensive but I just hate when people talk negative about that poor old lady. She literally had every major corporation trying to make her look like the bad guy so there could be new litigation laws passed.

Looking at overall Model S customer satisfaction survey results, it would appear that many other owners are quite happy with their purchases and feel that they got what they paid for and then some.

I know I do.

That a comparative handful and extremely small overall proportion of owners who post on this forum with any regularity have harped on the subject matter of this discussion, seems to not have even caused Tesla to break stride.

They continue to move onward and upward despite the perceptions and opinions on the subject of a few vocal owners in here.

For that, I'm grateful and also impressed that Tesla handled this matter, ....what is it that the kids say these days? "like a boss." "like a yeti eatin' spaghetti."

They held out to the very last day. And when it was all said and done, put this matter behind them for about as cheaply and quietly as anyone could have expected.

Offering free merchandise such as wheels and tires, tee shirts, baseball caps, parkas, keychains and coffee mugs, or $7600.00 and pay your own lawyers, and having the plaintiffs agree to go away for that, .....seriously? 126 sets of wheels and tires to put this matter to bed? ....that's laughable. Thats a win no matter how I look at it.

Last edited:
  • Informative
They continue to move onward and upward despite the perceptions and opinions on the subject of a few vocal owners in here.
If someone pulled the number of posts by one single member in here, my guess would be that you are no. 1 in regards to this topic - and congratulations with that, that is impressive.

Again I offer no opinion on the case in Norway.

Good luck with your marathon posting ...

p.s. if you removed the footnote, your posts may reach even greater audience and even more people could benefit from them.

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
That a comparative handful and extremely small overall proportion of owners who post on this forum with any regularity have harped on the subject matter of this discussion, seems to not have even caused Tesla to break stride

Our efforts did cause Tesla to correct the information on their website. We also caused Tesla to add the footnote about 1-foot roll out on their website. And we may never know, but perhaps our efforts are causing Tesla to not exaggerate specs as much as the marketing department might like to.

If someone pulled the number of posts by one single member in here, my guess would be that you are no. 1 in regards to this topic.....

I doubt it, but I could not care less about that even if it is the case.

What's that supposed to make me do? Quit commenting on it?

...Again I offer no opinion on the case in Norway....

Sometimes one does not need to offer a formal opinion.

Their response and reaction will oftentimes be more than enough to indicate, if not outright give away, their position.

...p.s. if you removed the footnote, your posts may reach even greater audience and even more people could benefit from them.

The footnote was put there as a result of this thread.

Others in this discussion were using it, or wording similar on their own postings and one day I asked why.

The reason I found, was that bloggers were using the very posts of members posting in this thread, many of which were along the lines of Tesla having deliberately having deceived buyers, for their blogs.

Not wanting any of my own postings to show up in anyone's blog, I followed the lead of some of the others commenting in this thread and on this matter, whose positions were actually counter to my own, and added what you call the "footnote" on my own signature.

I appreciate the tip bio I think that enough eyeballs hit my posts.

Many belonging to people not even logged in on this board.

Part of my reason for posting, is to let others who may be casually reading know that not every Tesla owner hates his car, feels cheated, and looks at Tesla as being run by a band of cheats with Elon Musk as the next Preston Tucker.

That's why I laugh sometimes when some of the others threaten to put me on ignore.

Often times my responses aren't intended solely for them, even in cases where I've quoted their words.

Indeed, you may have figured out from that, that this very response regarding "the footnote", is not intended only for you but for others aside from you who may have been wondering about it and it's reason to be.

Last edited:
Our efforts did cause Tesla to correct the information on their website. We also caused Tesla to add the footnote about 1-foot roll out on their website. And we may never know, but perhaps our efforts are causing Tesla to not exaggerate specs as much as the marketing department might like to.

There is no established causal and effect relationship, and they may well have done all that you say on their own.