Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[updated with *] P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. "Up to 691HP"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Random: If anyone has a P-anything-D and a bunch of spare cash to help me finish a project... I can get it up to about ~800 HP peak (around 1000 Nm peak torque). Full project is just more expensive than I can deal with at the moment, so it got back burnered. I've been driving a lower power prototype around for months now, though, so the concept is sound. :cool:

Surprisingly doesn't involve any motor modifications, either. The 691 "motor" power number turned out to be quite conservative. lol.

Without giving too much detail away at this point (since I still plan to complete this at some point, regardless)... the process involves removing the battery pack and modifying and/or replacing it with a unit capable of ~2100A peak current with less voltage sag, along with some small changes to the car side to make this possible. Results in higher peak power, and can hold that peak for longer. Doesn't improve Tesla's cooling design on the S/X motors, though, so would still be limited by that in the longer term (beyond a few minutes of hard driving), but still pretty awesome.

By "a bunch of spare cash", probably about $25-30k to make the first full power version... and that's no profit on my end. Eventually would be something reasonably marketable, though, and additional tuning and development could push it over the 900 HP mark, and potentially even as high as 1000 HP with a few more car-side modifications. Would probably market it as something like a $50k performance upgrade whenever I get to that point with it.

I'd expect it'd be about a month from the time I had the funds and vehicle to work with to complete it, and future ones taking less time for sure.

At this point I've tested the concept with a test car I've been driving (a RWD Model S that has no battery pack underneath with all power coming from a custom rig in the trunk that hooks into the normal battery connectors. I've pushed that single motor to it's limits using my custom hardware, and in a dual motor car have confirmed that there is significant headroom for more power with the same technique.

Theoretical max without changing the physical motors is around 980 HP, but I think there would be diminishing returns after the 875 mark or so where the $ per additional kW ends up getting super high. ~850 is a decent target I think.

For perspective, off the top of my head, a P100D hits something like 680 HP max.

If anyone's serious about maybe wanting to do it, PM me and we can chat a bit. Starting with a dual motor performance car, it would definitely be the most powerful Tesla available by far. Closest thing we'll get to Roadster 2025^H0 performance I'd think any time soon. Starting car would just have to be any dual motor performance, preferably with air suspension.

If anyone's serious about maybe wanting to do it, PM me and we can chat a bit. Starting with a dual motor performance car, it would definitely be the most powerful Tesla available by far. Closest thing we'll get to Roadster 2025^H0 performance I'd think any time soon. Starting car would just have to be any dual motor performance, preferably with air suspension.

That's awesome, I really hope someone takes you up on this offer!

if I lived in the US I'd go buy one just to do this

Random: If anyone has a P-anything-D and a bunch of spare cash to help me finish a project... I can get it up to about ~800 HP peak (around 1000 Nm peak torque). Full project is just more expensive than I can deal with at the moment, so it got back burnered. I've been driving a lower power prototype around for months now, though, so the concept is sound. :cool:

Surprisingly doesn't involve any motor modifications, either. The 691 "motor" power number turned out to be quite conservative. lol.

The 2019 P100DL has already been measured at 1250Nm on the wheels in using dyno? (See YouTube)

I don't know if this EPA document was ever added to this thread, but since it's been a few years since one of the most important threads on TMC have been commented I thought it was an interesting document.

So basically this 2015 EPA document states that someone at Tesla knew that the P85D had a rated combined front/rear motor output of 449 HP.

Quote 'Manufacturer Test Vehicle Comments: This is a Dual Motor configuration vehicle Rated HP - 449 combined front/rear motor Axle Ratio Front Motor 9.34 Rear Motor 9.73 Target and set coefficients to lbs and mph.' end quote.

I'm not saying everybody at Tesla knew, but given the number of unsatisfied customers that raised this issue with Tesla, and how Tesla reacted to those customers, I think it is a interesting document.

Document can be found here
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=34295&flag=1

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I don't know if this EPA document was ever added to this thread, but since it's been a few years since one of the most important threads on TMC have been commented I thought it was an interesting document.

So basically this 2015 EPA document states that someone at Tesla knew that the P85D had a rated combined front/rear motor output of 449 HP.

Quote 'Manufacturer Test Vehicle Comments: This is a Dual Motor configuration vehicle Rated HP - 449 combined front/rear motor Axle Ratio Front Motor 9.34 Rear Motor 9.73 Target and set coefficients to lbs and mph.' end quote.

I'm not saying everybody at Tesla knew, but given the number of unsatisfied customers that raised this issue with Tesla, and how Tesla reacted to those customers, I think it is a interesting document.

Document can be found here
https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=34295&flag=1
I’m still waiting for them to reimburse me for crippling the battery in my P85D. So it went from 691HP (claimed) to 449HP down to who knows what after the nerfed the battery.

I wish all the Eco-warriors and Elon disciples would actually read this and not make excuses for the company being shady AF.

Reactions: rns-e