Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade from 85 to 100?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. I've read and reread and I still do not have a straight answer.
Will the 85 model s be able to upgrade to 100? For example I have the p85DL and like to upgrade it to the 100.
I've read that Tesla states its physically impossible, but wk has done some massive homework and says it could.
Just trying to clarify. I'd be game for upping my car to the 100 instead of selling and rebuying. I dont mind my front end being the previous gen bumper either. I can upgrade that too if I chose.

Ok. I've read and reread and I still do not have a straight answer.
Will the 85 model s be able to upgrade to 100? For example I have the p85DL and like to upgrade it to the 100.
I've read that Tesla states its physically impossible, but wk has done some massive homework and says it could.
Just trying to clarify. I'd be game for upping my car to the 100 instead of selling and rebuying. I dont mind my front end being the previous gen bumper either. I can upgrade that too if I chose.
regardless of whether it is technologically feasible or not it more than likely would never happen from tesla. why would they offer this low financial margin upgrade?
regardless of how progressive many of you think tesla is, the reality is that they are a business and businesses need to make profits, a car maker makes profits selling new cars, not performing major upgrading to an already sold one.

Last edited:
It can be done, but even the 90->100 upgrade requires airbag retrofits to ensure the safety of the occupants. An 85 would likely require more extensive modification and may even need tweaking of the suspension.

Doesn't seem to make sense. I know that the weight increase from 85 > 100 is 75 pounds. That doesn't warrant any suspension changes or airbag adjustments. It does require a reworking of the battery cooling system since the cell configuration in the 100 is different than the 85.

It's likely physically possible, but Tesla won't be offering it any time soon - if ever. I'm in the same boat, and I've resigned myself to the reality that I'll likely need to upgrade the whole car.

So when Musk was asked if existing 85 owners could upgrade to the larger pack, this was his response:

"Existing owners can also purchase the pack upgrade, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless usage is on the edge of current range. On average, we expect to increase pack capacity by roughly 5% per year. Better to wait until you have more time on your existing pack and there is a larger accumulated pack energy difference."

So how much larger do the batteries have to get before we can stop waiting to upgrade our 85s to larger packs?????

Reactions: Evee