Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade options for 2017 Model X with AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have confirmation from Tesla which models of autopilot will be capable of being updated to Hardware 3 computer and hence FSD in the future?

I have an AP1 MS and want to purchase a MX - but I want to be sure I get one that can have hardware updates to allow FSD in the future since I plan to keep the MX for many (>5) years. I know it’ll have to be 2017 onwards (AP2 or later). But does anyone know if AP2 can have the new HW3 computer installed?

Thanks,
John

Does anyone have confirmation from Tesla which models of autopilot will be capable of being updated to Hardware 3 computer and hence FSD in the future?

I have an AP1 MS and want to purchase a MX - but I want to be sure I get one that can have hardware updates to allow FSD in the future since I plan to keep the MX for many (>5) years. I know it’ll have to be 2017 onwards (AP2 or later). But does anyone know if AP2 can have the new HW3 computer installed?

Thanks,
John
I would also have criteria of MCU2.

MCU1 to MCU2 | TeslaTap

On the Model S and X, the MCU main computing unit, in late February 2018 production was upgraded to a newer design “MCU2” switching from an Nvidia quad-core CPU to one based on the Intel Gordon Peak board, similar to that used in the Model 3. The bluetooth and WiFi were also upgraded. As of this writing, we are not aware of any new features being active with the MCU2 over MCU1, other than the touch response and display updates are faster and 5 GHz WiFi.

Reactions: mswlogo