TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Upgrade your Audio after Delivery?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bnsfengineer, Nov 27, 2017.

1. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Curious as to how many of us not overly crazy about the standard audio system and how much or little did you spend after taking delivery to upgrade? Do I have to spend $5k or can I do it on a smaller budget and be satisfied?

• Like x 1
  2. kdday

kdday Active Member

I bought the NVX 10" sub kit and installed it myself for less than $1200.

I also just bought 4 Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers and am replacing my door speakers this month as well as adding some sound deadener material inside the door panels.

Total cost less than $1500 but I've done all my own labor. Really pleased with results when evaluated against cost.

3. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Wow! Thats what I'm talking about!! Is your garage available for Saturday Install???;)

4. kdday

kdday Active Member

I'd be happy to help you out. I won't do the work but can lend you guidance.

5. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

Well, you can add roughly about 3x for labor to the cost then.

6. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Wait I know you! Is your garage available?? :)

• Like x 1
  7. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

8. stopparde01

stopparde01 Member

I was thinking to add the NVX sub BOOST kit and wondering if it may void warranty or need to be removed for service, as the sub is mounted on the charger port side.
    I was quoted $262 and 2.5hrs for installation plus cost of the kit, here in norcal bay area.
    Mulling on it.......

9. timvracer

timvracer Member

Be aware that just adding a new sub and door speakers without addressing the amps and crossovers (far more important), you will not realize the capabilities of those speakers. I got a Reus system (could be any pro audio shop that really knows what they are doing), and he did not even replace the door speakers, just a new sub and tweeters (including a new behind the mirror tweeter). The real secret was in the amps/crossovers and the tuning. Sound is amazing!

Just saying, just popping new speakers will have a somewhat limited impact given the cost/labor, but if you can do the install yourself, $1250 is certainly is more affordable than $4k+, but I can assure you the difference is dramatic.

BTW, Reus is in Southern CA (Anaheim), so not too far from the OP.

• Like x 2
  10. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

Correct.

11. welcomewagon

welcomewagon Member

How much was your Reus system if you don't mind me asking? I wasn't aware they did a system that didn't include at least the front door speakers.

12. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

I was surprised by this as well, but according to them the stock speakers are not bad...its the other items (amp, crossovers, tuning, woofer) that are really lacking. They do install new pillar tweeters though, and add an additional center channel speaker as an optional upgrade.

13. moore101

moore101 Member

BNSFE I am also in Rancho and have been thinking about an audio upgrade to my MS (standard audio). The NVX sub kit is on my list to pickup soon. If you wanted to do a install party let me know, I have tools and have installed many stereo systems.

I was bummed to miss your wheels, I would have picked them up!

14. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

How many of us in RC?

15. timvracer

timvracer Member

Price list is confidential, but you can spend from 3k to 6k as I recall. I was in between there. Keep in mind I had the UHFS upgrade as well, so not sure of the door speakers in the standard system are kept if upgrading from the standard. In my case he kept the Tesla subwoofer from UHFS, but not as a sub, but for a narrow band of mid-low frequencies (again, crossovers are key), and he installed the new Reus subwoofer as the real subwoofer in one of the trunk compartments (charging port side).

16. bnsfengineer

bnsfengineer Member

Hey in Rancho? Let me know when you decide what your going to do and when and would love to come over for support or extra pair of hands! Also have my 21"s on here and we could make a deal if you feel the courage to install my system!

17. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

About $1500 in gear plus labor, eh? Yikes. Tripling that wouldn’t be far off at any high-end audio shop, yeah.

Makes the Reus systems, which I recommend, even more of a value than they already are.

Note that with a Reus system, it’s the last upgraded audio system you’ll have to buy, as they’ll move it from current car to next car for the cost of labor only.

• Like x 2
  18. xenodata

xenodata Member

How did the Kappa 62.11i install go? Any pictures? After cutting out the factory speakers did the new ones epoxy into the old mounts easy?

19. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I started by replacing the standard front door speakers with the stock speakers from the upgraded sound system. They bolt in place and plug right in. For the small amount of money you can pick them up for, they are a nice little upgrade.

20. playoutside

playoutside Member

3ED4FBAA-0FEE-47EC-9DAD-5814A4C50401.jpeg BB407227-876A-40EF-A234-B5795F615968.jpeg 047CEA05-7FB4-499B-A80F-7DAE0CEA2E02.jpeg 994F645D-5ADB-4631-92CA-E2B969596B29.jpeg A7C28C4A-E6A5-4C81-9A3E-CA1F37A3943A.jpeg 4562A0BC-C085-4608-8681-E47A89E85E8C.jpeg D86C2B46-D145-4E19-9100-89A0A226F937.jpeg Depending on if you can do the labor yourself, $2.5-$5K will afford you an excellent upgrade over the base and premium Tesla sound system.

I recently added Alpine Type R speakers, JL Audio Sub, JL amp, and LCi6 line out converter. I also added sound deadener to all of the doors. It sounds amazing. I’ll provide a full write up and video soon. But here are some pictures as a preview.

• Like x 2