Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgraded To OEM Performance Brakes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the shield for performance is larger if I remember correctly

From memory, id have to agree. But i have been fooled by my memory before. EPC doesn't explicitly say Sport, but 2 parts are listed.

upload_2020-9-23_22-46-30.png

• Informative
Reactions: Murattukaalai
Thanks everyone on dust shield
Another question: I have non performance rotor and adding MPP performance rotor 355, does the wheel get pushed out 4mm or 1mm?
non performance rotor vs performance rotor is 3mm inside for wheel, am I right?

I should be basically the same. Maybe 1mm. The Performance rotors are very thin (3mm or so). Non-performance and MPP rotors are more like 7mm.

Finally found a service guy to sell the parts, do I need to add bolts and other stuff for the rear?

Are these items below good?
RR Brake Rotor Sport Bimaterial 1044636-00-D 2 rotors

Rear brake shield left hand Perf 1044667-00-A
Rear brake shield right hand Perf 1044668-00-A
Jumper LH Perf M3 1098480-00-D
Jumper RH Perf M3 1098481-00-D

Thanks in advance

Finally found a service guy to sell the parts, do I need to add bolts and other stuff for the rear?

Are these items below good?
RR Brake Rotor Sport Bimaterial 1044636-00-D 2 rotors

Rear brake shield left hand Perf 1044667-00-A
Rear brake shield right hand Perf 1044668-00-A
Jumper LH Perf M3 1098480-00-D
Jumper RH Perf M3 1098481-00-D

Thanks in advance
Some service centers or even employees won't sell you parts for a car different than your VIN. Seems you called around and figured that out though.

Your parts list looks good, I added new bolts to mine too because it was cheap (like $4) and good peace of mind in case I somehow strip one or whatever. Highly doubt I'll need them, but not like they go bad and good to have on hand in case. As far as I can tell the bolts are the same on the sport and base brakes.

• Informative
thanks.
Looks like end of quarter they want to
Make money. Here’s the warning I got in email

just wanted to reach out and inform you that the part #'s you requested are technically not for the specification that your vehicle was built to. I am not sure if the change in parts would adversely affect your traction control or ABS system and any modifications to your braking system could affect your warranty should any issues arise in the future. Special ordering of these parts would be non-refundable.

Some service centers or even employees won't sell you parts for a car different than your VIN. Seems you called around and figured that out though.

Your parts list looks good, I added new bolts to mine too because it was cheap (like $4) and good peace of mind in case I somehow strip one or whatever. Highly doubt I'll need them, but not like they go bad and good to have on hand in case. As far as I can tell the bolts are the same on the sport and base brakes.

Reactions: AdamMacDon
thanks.
Looks like end of quarter they want to
Make money. Here’s the warning I got in email

just wanted to reach out and inform you that the part #'s you requested are technically not for the specification that your vehicle was built to. I am not sure if the change in parts would adversely affect your traction control or ABS system and any modifications to your braking system could affect your warranty should any issues arise in the future. Special ordering of these parts would be non-refundable.
Hahaha you're right, Tesla has a propensity to ignore parts requests until end of the quarter. I just got mine and I've been trying since mid July. I didn't get any warnings though, but honestly not too concerned. Pretty unlikely the brake calipers need warranty replacement in the next 4 years unless you really hammer them on the track. And in that case they could deny your claim anyhow, I'm sure track use isn't covered.

I’m sure I need to upgrade the front rotors and pads on my 2018 m3p+ for intended future track use, but unsure how far the performance envelope gets extended if I stick with the stock red Calipers vs going all the way to MPP’s stop tech big brake package. Does anyone familiar have any idea? If the complete big brake upgrade is 100, do the rotors and pads cover 50/60/80% of that overall improvement? The jump in cost is pretty significant, so wondering if the performance jump is similarly sized?

Stock rotors overheat a lot and cooling down slow. I have a feeling that they go beyond any track pad temps. But what is worse, you're going to boil any fluid you put there. Depending on the track - you need to find how long you can go before they give up.

The stock rotors seem like an obvious weak point so i just want to remove them from the equation. The MPP rotors also solve the hub lip issue by extending out by an additional 4mm vs OEM, so that's an added incentive as it opens up wheel options. I'm curious how much the MPP rotors improve the M3P+'s braking performance with the stock calipers and track pads vs the full big brake kit with the additional stop tech calipers. Something tells me all i'll ever need is stock calipers. I'm going to run it past MPP as well.

Reactions: Theraven
The stock rotors seem like an obvious weak point so i just want to remove them from the equation. The MPP rotors also solve the hub lip issue by extending out by an additional 4mm vs OEM, so that's an added incentive as it opens up wheel options. I'm curious how much the MPP rotors improve the M3P+'s braking performance with the stock calipers and track pads vs the full big brake kit with the additional stop tech calipers. Something tells me all i'll ever need is stock calipers. I'm going to run it past MPP as well.
Your milage will vary. MPP rotors are cooling down faster than stock, but calipers still limiting rotor size significantly.

I’m sure I need to upgrade the front rotors and pads on my 2018 m3p+ for intended future track use, but unsure how far the performance envelope gets extended if I stick with the stock red Calipers vs going all the way to MPP’s stop tech big brake package. Does anyone familiar have any idea? If the complete big brake upgrade is 100, do the rotors and pads cover 50/60/80% of that overall improvement? The jump in cost is pretty significant, so wondering if the performance jump is similarly sized?

The biggest issue is rotor thickness. This is dictated by the calipers. The calipers otherwise are not the issue, but by being limited to a 25mm thick rotor you just cannot overcome the thermal mass that is being put in to them. The car is very heavy after-all.

I will gave you the same advice I give others. Do it once, do it right. I spent ~$1,500 on upgraded front rotors and pads, only to end up buying a $4k BBK in the long run. The BBK will always have good resale value, and the pads and rotors will last much longer. Your long-term cost of ownership with a BBK is LESS than trying to use the stock caliper setup. MPP is great, and I would recommend their BBK.

Reactions: rc0310
If someone does install the MPP BBK up front, is it a given that the rear rotors have to be upgraded at the same time? I get that the front wheels would be pushed out slightly and the rears wouldn't (by those few mm), but I'm talking more about the heating of the rear rotors and at what point that happens relative to the fronts. With the smaller rear calipers how susceptible to overheating are the rear PUP rotors using the stock PUP calipers?

If someone does install the MPP BBK up front, is it a given that the rear rotors have to be upgraded at the same time? I get that the front wheels would be pushed out slightly and the rears wouldn't (by those few mm), but I'm talking more about the heating of the rear rotors and at what point that happens relative to the fronts. With the smaller rear calipers how susceptible to overheating are the rear PUP rotors using the stock PUP calipers?
UPP uses stock rear calipers. But I got much better rear rotors overheated on Nurburgring. You most certainly need different pads and brake fluid. But front takes most beating, for sure. So if it works for you - keep it. Also, there are more pads available for Model 3 calipers.

Btw, if somebody needs it - pad shape for Model S rear Mundo calipers (which so far is the only option to put reasonable size rear rotors on Model 3) is available from Carbotech under CT83752-RNP code.

Reactions: Theraven