Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading AP cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Officient and Krash
What does "included in the price" mean for those that bought the HW3 computer in the past? My invoice when I had HW3 installed last year said nothing about revised cameras. I had asked the SC at that point about new cameras and they knew nothing. I expected a camera update.

Perhaps everyone should watch for some notification of a free camera retrofit and spread the word if they hear some thing. I'm one of those 2017 owners trying to keep my score up.

Right-O. So the question to this thread: any do it yourself camera upgraders admitted to city driving FSD beta?
Do we even have the info on the camera upgrade? Old vs. new part numbers or serial numbers, etc.? Even if I could swap it (them?) out, wouldn't there probably some database field that would need to be updated to allow the car to know my hardware is eligible for the FSD beta? So frustrating to watch the goal posts move when we're this close to the end zone.

Do we even have the info on the camera upgrade? Old vs. new part numbers or serial numbers, etc.? Even if I could swap it (them?) out, wouldn't there probably some database field that would need to be updated to allow the car to know my hardware is eligible for the FSD beta? So frustrating to watch the goal posts move when we're this close to the end zone.
I don't recall people who changed the Tri front camera needing config changes but my memory could be bad. I changed my repeater ones and didn't have to change anything. Not sure if there is "meta" data returned from the cameras that let the system know (interpret) what cameras it has to work with.

Likely RCCB vs RGGB?

AP2.0 with the technically different cameras (pixel coloring: RCCC** filters vs RGGB**). It appears that the Model X 2017 changes ~1 month later (July/Aug) to have the RGGB based camera+filters. I suspect the reason is their "AI" (NN) training that does go down to the pixel level so the training is specialized for RGGB** pixels in the camera output.

** In a camera each pixel is represented by 4 photoreceptors, with a combination of filters: C=Clear, R=Red, G=Green, B=Blue. Multiple same filters for a pixel increases the light sensitivity. With RCCB, there is no green filter to improve nighttime light sensitivity, and green can be calculated to make a color image for the dashcam." via "Hardware Specifications for new cars (no retrofits)" section at https://teslatap.com/articles/autopilot-processors-and-hardware-mcu-hw-demystified/

I believe upthread, or maybe a diff thread, folks figured out part numbers and after swapping parts and getting a new SW release (that’s when reconfigure happens) all was well. I’m interested in whether these cars get new FSD. So far, sounds like “nope”.

Changing out the rear camera and fender cameras should be straightforward for a DIY. Changing out the windshield cameras and the B-pillar cameras will require at least a mobile tech or perhaps an SC visit.

This camera thing really pisses me off. I expected camera replacements when I had HW3 installed last year, instead they just left the old cameras intact. I had seen evidence that the newer Teslas had different & significantly better cameras, hence my expectation of a camera update.

Apparently the current FSD beta (city driving) requires MCU2, HW3, and the AP2.5 or later cameras. Musk says an upgrade will be available. In the mean time have any of your do it yourself camera upgrades made it into this beta program?
Ap2 with MCU2 and HW3
I upgraded the fender and triple cams from AP2 to AP3 and have no issues with autopilot but can’t get FSDbeta acces.
100 safety score

Ap2 with MCU2 and HW3
I upgraded the fender and triple cams from AP2 to AP3 and have no issues with autopilot but can’t get FSDbeta acces.
100 safety score
Did you time the installation of the front inline triple camera with a pending software update? I've heard that the front triple will not be recognized until the config updates with a software update. Also, I think the B-pillar cameras need to be updated to AP3 as well

1125106-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)
1125107-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
1120520-00-B - INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3
1069104-00-D - MS,B PLR,CAM ASSY

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Did you time the installation of the front inline triple camera with a pending software update? I've heard that the front triple will not be recognized until the config updates with a software update. Also, I think the B-pillar cameras need to be updated to AP3 as well

1125106-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (LH)
1125107-00-E - MS/ MX LAMP ASY, SIDE REPEATER (RH)
1120520-00-B - INLINE TRIPLE CAM, S/X/3
Yes I had a pending software update. Updated cams. Updated software and everything worked fine.
My post history should have the thread I posted the steps and pictures

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200