Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrading Brake Pads for Plaid - Racing Brake

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What can I expect from this OE REPLACEMENT ROTOR KIT in performance improvement and durability?.

This kit includes our best & optimal street pad (XT910 compound) - Not outsource (formulated and made with our tooling and process) with the low dust yet no trade off in performance.

We think Plaid owners would drive their cars very similar to Mercedes high end models; The car are heavy w/ lots of HP, and driven spiritedly, so here are some typical long term reviews/discussions for your reference.

Racing Brake makes me happy (customer knew our XT pads from his BMW) posted in 2014

Racing Brake Rotors after 113,556miles posted in 2017 (original RB discs purchased in 2013)

...That's right. I replaced my front brake disks at 87,500 with racingbrake.com rotors and I am replacing them again at 201,056 miles..
Hello!

I'm very interested in these brakes but don't know too much about brakes. I just recently purchased the PLAID and also noticed the brakes aren't acceptable for the type of driving I do. I am not a track driver but I drive spirited; not unlike when I'm driving my Audi-R8 (whose braking is amazing).

I see you've recommended the RB OE Caliper BBK BBK (390/390, is it acceptable for me to get the RB System BBK (420/390) for Tesla Plaid instead even though I likely won't take it out on the track much (I don't mind spending the extra $ for better braking)?

Also if I buy these what will it cost to get Red painted calipers on the rear as well and where could I get them installed at? Does it remove any warrants on this car or is there anything I should be worried about with install regarding these versus OEM?

Thank you!

Assume you have 21" wheels, 420/390 BBK not only can provide you a peaceful mind with extra heat threshold (braking capacity), but also give you that "Muscular & Sporty" look behind the large wheels.

Brake kit of this size, in our opinion, is what the Plaid should have equipped. No one will probably run the car anywhere near its HP however a "counter-power" braking capacity should be there simply as a power-balance check.

Customer purchases our caliper kit can have an option to powder coat* the rear calipers to match the front color (Default color is Porsche Red).

* Disassembly, paint stripping, then powder coated by a professional shop (in Anaheim, CA.)

We have been shipping upgrade caliper kits with RB calipers or OE Calipers like this popular upgrade kit for Viper to customers of all car makes; Including Tesla S & M3 (Upgrade with S calipers or CTS-V 6 pot calipers) and have never had any warranty issue.

Last edited:
Assume you have 21" wheels, 420/390 BBK not only can provide you a peaceful mind with extra heat threshold (braking capacity), but also give you that "Muscular & Sporty" look behind the large wheels.

Brake kit of this size, in our opinion, is what the Plaid should have equipped. No one will probably run the car anywhere near its HP however a "counter-power" braking capacity should be there simply as a power-balance check.

Customer purchases our caliper kit can have an option to powder coat* the rear calipers to match the front color (Default color is Porsche Red).

* Disassembly, paint stripping, then powder coated by a professional shop (in Anaheim, CA.)

We have been shipping upgrade caliper kits with RB calipers or OE Calipers like this popular upgrade kit for Viper to customers of all car makes; Including Tesla S & M3 (Upgrade with S calipers or CTS-V 6 pot calipers) and have never had any warranty issue.
Interesting. What is max size that will also work with 19” winter wheels (Signature SV104s)?

Plaid replacement brake pads are now shipping:
plaid-rb_%20front-back.JPG

RB pad - 54mm depth
plaid-rb-depth-54.JPG

OE pad - 43mm depth
plaid-oe-43.PNG

XT910 is bundled with stock replacement two piece rotors, with option to upgrade to XT970.

Setting new standard of how a two piece rotors should be designed and made since S, M3, and now Plaid.

The first and the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: impastu and wornout
Plaid replacement brake pads are now shipping:

plaid%20rb%20front-back.JPG

plaid%20rb%20pad%20inside%20oe%20caliper.JPG

RB pad - 54mm depth
plaid%20rb%20depth-54.JPG

OE pad - 43mm depth
plaid%20oe%3D43.PNG

XT910 is bundled with stock replacement two piece rotors, with option to upgrade to XT970.

Setting new standard of how a two piece rotors should be designed and made since S, M3, and now Plaid.

The first and the best.
We ship as they promise.
I have the refreshed MS LR. I don't have any plans to track this car so I don't think I need improved cooling; correct me if I'm wrong. On empty roads, I just drive with a lead foot. After flooring the car to 90 MPH, I want to make sure I can stop with more confidence than the OEM brakes. Would a simple pad upgrade (XT910) help with that?

(I used to track an Acura RSX with a Stoptech BBK so I have some experience with upgraded brakes and two different pads.)

Reactions: impastu
Brake duty for motorsports is basically classified into "intermittent" or "continuous", as long as it's not continuous XT910 should be able to sustain to high speed stopping w/o adverse effect, but if it's continuous ie mountain or canyon drives we recommend XT970.

There are two factors that determine a pad performance and durability:

1. The compound - The friction material (Lining), a selection to fit individual's need ie. for street, spirited, or tracking.
2. The pad size (Volume) - The larger the pad the lower the braking temperature (for the same amount of heat load) but is constraint to fitting the caliper and rotor.

One should not expect to switch a brake pad (Only #1 but not #2) can miraculously improve the braking performance like some brake pad venders advertised, as it's still limited to the thermal capacity (#2), or you shall experience more pad and rotor replacements.

Selecting a proper brake pad compound is a kind of "try & error" process until you find one that can fit your driving style with a proper matching component (rotor) to satisfy your goal, confidence inspiring, with a decent life before considering a BBK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Russell and wornout
Brake duty for motorsports is basically classified into "intermittent" or "continuous", as long as it's not continuous XT910 should be able to sustain to high speed stopping w/o adverse effect, but if it's continuous ie mountain or canyon drives we recommend XT970.

There are two factors that determine a pad performance and durability:

1. The compound - The friction material (Lining)
2. The pad size (Volume) - Constraint to the caliper and rotor fitment.

One should not expect to switch a brake pad (Only #1 but not #2) can miraculously improve the braking performance like some brake pad venders advertised, as it's still limited to the thermal capacity (#2), or you shall experience more pad and rotor replacements.

Selecting a proper brake pad compound is a kind of "try & error" process until you find one that can fit your driving style with a proper matching component (rotor) to satisfy your goal, confidence inspiring, with a decent life before considering a BBK.
That was very helpful. Thanks!

I have no plans for canyon drives. Braking duty will definitely be intermittent. I will definitely keep this in mind.

The first aftermarket upgrade brake review for Plaid is out:

Another one from FB:

With all the uproar about the lack of brakes and the new cc brake pack just released by Tesla today I thought I would report a little on my experience with the RB performance brakes rotors and pads I just purchased. I installed them on Monday along with some high temp brake fluid. I burnt them in a little on Monday evening highway driving to get the paint off. Last night I did a couple high speed passes over 150 mph to 0 in about a 3 minute span. The brakes felt good but a little soft - I still had to press really hard (I can confirm there was no air in the lines) the brakes were smoking hard and stinky after the second run and there was a warning on the screen saying something to the effect (sorry no picture) that the brakes were at an extremely high temperature and to drive with caution as braking power would be reduced. The warning only lasted for less than a minute. I then went on the highway for a bit and returned home. The whole testing lasted about 10 mins. When I returned home I couldn’t smell anything and I couldn’t feel any warmth coming from any of the brakes that was impressive how fast they cooled down. Today I hit the brakes hard after hitting about 120 and there was zero smell or issues. Overall I think they were worth what I paid, I feel they are better (and way better looking) but I would not feel comfortable tracking this vehicle with them. Hope it helps anyone out there.

Last edited:
I was going to say

DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

but someone beat me to it.

I found the two (radial) bolts that attach the front caliper to the upright were "soft" to torque up which lead me to believe Tesla tapped the base aluminum upright casting and did not use an insert. Please be careful torquing these bolts as I think it would be easy to pull the threads out.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu and Bull
Yes. From 2017 & up Tesla implemented all their rear calipers to single pistons dual function ePB except S performance model which is believed still to have kept the 3rd caliper for parking like older S (See CCB rear kit installation pics below).

2c33-cutomer%20install.PNG

Last edited:
What brake kit is good for my Plaid?

"HELP ME DECIDE"

Every kit is professionally designed and configured to assure your Plaid equip a "balanced+" and "optimal" brake setup tailored to you need today, and future "progressive*" upgrade which you may require down the road.

+We don't tell you that you don't need the rear like others because they don't supply the rear kit.
*Some components are interchangeable so you can save money than buying a new kit.

Last edited:
We are pleased to announce the official release of this valuable 410/410 BBK

Front: 410x33mm
2681-wt-410.jpg

Rear: 410x30mm
2683-wt.JPG

How true is a BBK?

RB front big rotor kit has a wider annulus (76mm) for a larger pad - A real BBK made for extra thermal capacity unlike others only claimed a larger OD but still with narrow annulus barely enough to clear the caliper for small stock size pads.

We also show you the exact size of rotor and pad you are going to receive. Everything is transparent and easy to understand why RB brake has better design and can run more efficient, and last longer.

2681%2Blarger%20pad.PNG

We are about 2-4 weeks away from shipping the kit for making the larger pads and hardware kit, but you can take the advantage of per-ordering the kit NOW with a $150 deduct (Coupon code "DED-150") plus free upgrade on the front larger pads to go with the big rotors.

RB OE Caliper BBK (410/410) for Tesla S Plaid (P/N 2681-K & 2683-K)

Last edited: