Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upper Lining Rip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 85D delivered March 28, 2015. It has been a dream to drive! However, just recently I noticed a slight tear on the upper lining by the driver seat. Has anyone else experienced this issue where a portion of the fabric supposedly tucked underneath the door seal has come apart and exposing frayed edges of the liner? I've got an appointment with the SC next week and I'm wondering whether they'd actually fix this problem.

IMG_0072.JPG

run your finger along the edge of the rubber seal and it will effectively push the lining back behind the rubber seal.

I have this in my car as well when people grab at the top of the door opening to get in and out.

There are many threads on this. Sadly, quite common. It isn't a tear, just the end of the run of the headliner. I wish Tesla would just make them an inch wider (half inch each side) so it wouldn't pop out like that so often. Not only can it happen as Discoducky mentions, but it can happen from opening closing the door as it pressed on the seal beside the lining.

There's something odd about the rubber seals on these cars, in almost every one I've seen the seal has been pulled away or folded from a part of the interior of the car somewhere along it, but that's rather rare on other vehicles.

I don't know if the rubber is a bit more flexible? or if people are just more likely to grab hold of it due to the shape of the car and lack of handles? hard to say, but it seems unusual to me.

I'm actually surprised that your 85D still has this problem. I've complained about this multiple times but nothing can be done to fix it, however I noticed when I got a P85D loaner about a year ago that the headliner was actually at least .5" longer than the one in my car which I assumed was done to try and address this.

Every couple of days I just have to flip the rubber piece back over the headliner.

Not exactly fraying -- the rubber seal slipped under the headliner. The rubber seal is the trim that hides the edges of the headliner. Kind of a cheap way to hide the edges, and occasionally needs to be fixed. Just pop the seal over the headliner by running your finger under the seal.

@MrBigSmiles - Welcome to the family! This is one of those very few warts in Tesla design that we've been "asked" to live with (no repair available). I agree with pgiralt that this should have been fixed by now, but maybe the team is focusing on the taller nails. Just pull the rubber seal back over it and keep smiling! (I've run numerous tests, and this issue has no impact on the car's performance :wink: ).