Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US vs Europe software features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings people,

The US is a lot more chilled when it comes to autonomous features then the EU so im wondering if we could put up a list of features which are available in the US but not available in the EU.
For example in the US you can double click the park button and have the car autopark forward into the spot after you get out. According to the Tesla Store manager I talked to this feature does not exist in Germany (Is this even correct?) Also you have to use the app for summon and using summon on anything but private property is not allowed.

So yeah any features people know of that we cant have in Europe?

(haven't found a similar thread or comparison anywhere but feel free to point me there if there is one)

Those features aren't just missing in the EU, Tesla decided not to enable them in ANY country other than the USA. I find it really hard to believe it's regulatory though, because it seems unlikely that every single state in the US approved it, but not a single regulator anywhere else in the world.

The store manager told me something about a group of 183 nations which need to sign off on these features before being activated and the USA is not part of it so they can do what they want.
Haven't researched this yet...

I don't know about the legal issues specifically, but I haven't found the auto park feature notices parking spots very often. It's only registered a space once and I was already in it. If I had turned on the feature it may have parked the car on the sidewalk.

You can use Summon anywhere, at least in the UK. You just have to use the app, which by the time it connects and it's ready to summon, you could have gotten in the car and moved it manually.

Haha ok thats useful....
So do you have the autopark function which is activated from the parking stalk?

I don't know about the legal issues specifically, but I haven't found the auto park feature notices parking spots very often. It's only registered a space once and I was already in it. If I had turned on the feature it may have parked the car on the sidewalk.
Oh ok, I thought when you line it up, press P twice and get out it will just move forward until you stop it or it detects an obstacle. Didnt know it has to detect it as a parking spot or are you referring to the drive past and let it park in a spot, reverse or perpendicular?

Last edited:
Oh ok, I thought when you line it up, press P twice and get out it will just move forward until you stop it or it detects an obstacle. Didnt know it has to detect it as a parking spot or are you referring to the drive past and let it park in a spot, reverse or perpendicular?
wdolson was talking about autopark which is parallel or perpendicular parking only while the driver remains seated. You're thinking of Summon without phone app, activated either by key fob or double clicking the park button, which is only available in the US.

I was referring to the parallel park feature. In 5 months the car has only recognized one spot. Since there was nobody parked on that side of the street at all, I just zipped over the the curb and parked, as I reached for the Park button on the stalk, I noticed the P symbol on the center screen.

I tried to use summon from the key fob and it didn't work. I was able to use summon with the app, though it only came in useful once when the cars were parked too close together in the garage. The other times I've used summon it's just been to see it work.

wdolson was talking about autopark which is parallel or perpendicular parking only while the driver remains seated. You're thinking of Summon without phone app, activated either by key fob or double clicking the park button, which is only available in the US.

Assuming you mean the Summon activated from the parking stalk, the answer is no. All of it must be done through the App.

Ah ok, thats cleared that up. Shame really its a cool feature to just get out and let it do its thing. The app makes it so clumsy.

The store manager told me something about a group of 183 nations which need to sign off on these features before being activated and the USA is not part of it so they can do what they want.
Haven't researched this yet...
As usual, the store manager had no clue what he was talking about. 183 countries would be a very large portion of the countries that exist, and probably more than actually have rules around vehicles to start with (don't tell me every backwater 3rd world country has actual vehicle standards that hold back the whole rest of the world)
Most countries have their own rules, the EU being the possible exception as it's one trading block.

Tesla has CHOSEN to not release this feature outside the USA.

Thank's. Not only the store managers but noone at the Tesla SC's knows *sugar*. Everytime I go there I teach them something and I don't even have my car yet.
Get used to it. Unfortunately Tesla's internal communication policy seems to be no communication at all. But far worse than that, there's a culture at Tesla of giving an answer, any answer, as opposed to admitting when you don't know something. I'd be ok with Tesla staff saying "I don't know" on occasion, but far too often they spout off some nonsense instead.

The best informed Tesla staff tend to be so only because they read this very forum.

Reactions: Swissmoneychf
I did teach the manager a thing or two about the safety features of the falcon wing doors...
Maybe he meant 83 countries, who knows but im going research that. It couldn't all have been something he came up with, or maybe it was :D

Maybe they're talking UNECE, but that's only 62 countries, and is the opposite of what they said. It's not 62 countries that all have a veto over the rules, it's 62 countries that have all agreed to accept whatever each other have allowed. If that were the case, they could get one of those 62 to allow it and all would allow it.

Does anyone know if there has been any updates to this? I spent £3k on the package and Summon is redundant really. It’s so buggy and slow that I hardly ever use it but I’d love to.

Also will the U.K. leaving the EU make any difference?