Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USAA auto insurance renewal - 29% increase on Comp & Collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have USAA auto insurance for my Model 3 (LR RWD). On my upcoming renewal, both Comprehensive Loss and Collision Loss portions of the premium increased by 29%. Liability and Uninsured Motorists coverage portions remained more or less the same. I wonder why physical damage coverage to my car went up so much -- perhaps USAA previously underestimated how much it costs to repair Model 3?

what is the deductible? haven't there been a lot of break-ins/claims for Teslas in SF area? not sure what a glass repair is but maybe try changing deductible to $1000 and see if that drops the premium

I have USAA auto insurance for my Model 3 (LR RWD). On my upcoming renewal, both Comprehensive Loss and Collision Loss portions of the premium increased by 29%. Liability and Uninsured Motorists coverage portions remained more or less the same. I wonder why physical damage coverage to my car went up so much -- perhaps USAA previously underestimated how much it costs to repair Model 3?
Just fire USAA.
I had them for 15 years reliably, and then suddenly they tried to jack my rates.
In 15 minutes I had eliminated the entire increase and then some; at that time Liberty Mutual was buying market share in Georgia so they won.
When I called USAA to cancel, the lady tried to hand me off to a customer retention department just like the shady credit card companies love to do. I assured the lady that the renewal I had gotten from USAA was the lowest premium they were willing to charge me, because USAA would never try to jack their 15yr loyal customer around.
I keep one home insurance policy w USAA just because it's cheap and I don't want to totally sever the relationship.
But USAA ain't what it used to be.

Did you call and ask? Any claims since you’ve been with USAA? New drivers, etc... lots of factors into rates. I’ve had over 15 cars/SUVs insured with USAA over last 30 years... no regrets and same great service. Are you an military officer member of USAA, enlisted member, or a relative? If so, they use a subsidiary... prices higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldengate
agreed. several years ago when they starting advertising a lot and looking for more business the customer service/premiums have seemed to suffer
That's sad to read. I fired them a decade ago and presumed they'd gotten their act together by now.
I don't even bother getting a quote from them anymore.
Whenever the incumbent tries to jack my rates up, I just shop Geico vs Progressive and the low bidder gets my money.

Price isn’t everything... many insurance companies have low costs for a reason...

But this happens all the freaking time with insurance companies. You know they don't have people deciding. It'll be some program coded with an insurance premium increase pattern based on game theory and profiling data, with some of the numbers plugged in by the finance department based on the need to keep shareholders happy.

Went from State Farm, to Liberty Mutual and I'm now on Progressive. I fully expect to have to move again.
They all work the same way: cheap rate for new customer, followed by above-inflation increases as long as you'll put up with them. My colleague was paying an insane amount on 1 car, due in part to a thoroughly mistaken sense of loyalty.

• Love
Reactions: suwaneedad
what is the deductible? haven't there been a lot of break-ins/claims for Teslas in SF area? not sure what a glass repair is but maybe try changing deductible to $1000 and see if that drops the premium
$500 for Comprehensive and $1000 for Collision.
To be fair, I think the rates are still not bad. 6-month premium for 2 cars is around $800 total (Model 3 portion is ~$470). Less than 5000 miles/yr on each car. I have homeowners and umbrella policies with USAA as well.

$500 for Comprehensive and $1000 for Collision.
To be fair, I think the rates are still not bad. 6-month premium for 2 cars is around $800 total (Model 3 portion is ~$470). Less than 5000 miles/yr on each car. I have homeowners and umbrella policies with USAA as well.
Glass breakage typically is a comprehensive coverage claim, not collision. Zero deductible is the way to go for comprehensive. The cost premium for comprehensive actual cash value is very small in most markets, and it covers in full acts of vandalism, falling objects and all windshield damage not related to a crash.

So many people only consider price when it comes to insurance. USAA has been leagues better to deal with than other insurance companies in my experience, even if they do cost a bit more in comparison (they don't for me, but I'm active duty so that might have an impact).

This thread alarmed me so I went and checked on my USAA policies. Our (older than Tesla) BMW X3 is $547 every 6 months, and the Tesla is $521, so they are charging me less for a vehicle that is more difficult to repair (parts availability, only OEM etc).

I have had USAA for decades and they are absolutely wonderful to deal with. I would call them and find out if a mis-reported traffic ticket or something somehow impacted your rates.