Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB-C connector for premium front console - no plans to release

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Reversible-plug-USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-90-Degree-Right-Angled-Short-cable-to-USB.jpg_640x640.jpg
    Reversible-plug-USB-3-1-Type-C-Male-90-Degree-Right-Angled-Short-cable-to-USB.jpg_640x640.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 127

Looks good. The picture matches the direction for the USB-A plug. It says it's reversible, but I'm not sure I see how. Hopefully they aren't talking about the USB-C being reversible, which, of course, it is by design.

I think you're good. Let us know when it arrives in a few weeks, maybe, from China. :eek:

I was doing that, too, until I got a new phone without wireless charging. :( The only conversion adapter for it has to plug into the USB-C port, and it seemed a hassle/inelegant solution.
I will say that going from the world's fastest charging phone to wireless charging may seem like a step back. But then I thought about when I actually charge my phone (at night), and it didn't really seem inconvenient at all since I have wireless chargers everywhere (thanks Nexus devices!). That being said, if I'm really in a pinch, I can always take off the wireless charging pad on the phone and Dash charge when I need to.

Compared to the original Tesla console sold through their online store, the new console changed the mounting for the usb cable. The mount is now rubber, providing more flexibility to fit other charging cables - so it shouldn't be too difficult to get a right-angle USB-C connector to fit - and something Tesla should at least document, to help their customers find the right cable, even if Tesla isn't going to include in the docking adapter kit.

Compared to the original Tesla console sold through their online store, the new console changed the mounting for the usb cable. The mount is now rubber, providing more flexibility to fit other charging cables - so it shouldn't be too difficult to get a right-angle USB-C connector to fit - and something Tesla should at least document, to help their customers find the right cable, even if Tesla isn't going to include in the docking adapter kit.

It's more than, they have a little spring thingy that gives it some play and then there is additional height adjustment as well. Very clever when you take it all apart.

I will say that going from the world's fastest charging phone to wireless charging may seem like a step back. But then I thought about when I actually charge my phone (at night), and it didn't really seem inconvenient at all since I have wireless chargers everywhere (thanks Nexus devices!). That being said, if I'm really in a pinch, I can always take off the wireless charging pad on the phone and Dash charge when I need to.

The phone with wireless charging I had, needed it. It would only last a couple of hours in use, or about 5 hours on standby. It always sat on a wireless charger. The new one lasts for days without charging.

The downside for the new rubber connector holder - it doesn't provide the tension the plastic holder had in the original consoles.

With the original console, once my phone was on the USB connector, it would stay in place.

With the new console, my phone was popping off the connector under acceleration and on some turns. And since my phone doesn't fit the supplied guides, Tesla doesn't provide any way to keep the phone in place.

Until I can come up with an alternative set of guides that fits my phone, I applied Velcro to the back of my phone and the console, and that provide enough friction to keep the phone from popping off the connector. And if I get some guides that work, it'll be easy to peel off the Velcro.

The downside for the new rubber connector holder - it doesn't provide the tension the plastic holder had in the original consoles.

With the original console, once my phone was on the USB connector, it would stay in place.

With the new console, my phone was popping off the connector under acceleration and on some turns. And since my phone doesn't fit the supplied guides, Tesla doesn't provide any way to keep the phone in place.

Until I can come up with an alternative set of guides that fits my phone, I applied Velcro to the back of my phone and the console, and that provide enough friction to keep the phone from popping off the connector. And if I get some guides that work, it'll be easy to peel off the Velcro.
You are in luck, I have the STL files to print you some! What is the width and thickness of your phone with it's case?

I used same cable from Amazon as MasterT (see above). Same length as original cable. 10 minutes with xacto knive, looks and works as good as original. Not only that I am using with new Galaxy S8, which is within 1mm of an iPhone. Fits the iPhone "glides" perfectly.