Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Charging Speed Slow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dave EV

Jun 23, 2009
Earth
What kind of charging speeds is everyone seeing in their Model 3?

My Moto X4 (USB-C) only charges at 0.5A (confirmed with Ampere app and USB power meter). It's the same with both the front and rear USB ports. I've seen reports that it should charge at up to 2A. What are you getting?

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
I believe this is something that changed in a software update, but I don't recall what version had the change. A version before the "brake fix update" last weekend. But I'd expect that everyone got moved to that version by now, so perhaps they broke this again? Or it could also be an issue with the cable. Does it pull 2A with a different charger?

I believe this is something that changed in a software update, but I don't recall what version had the change. A version before the "brake fix update" last weekend. But I'd expect that everyone got moved to that version by now, so perhaps they broke this again? Or it could also be an issue with the cable. Does it pull 2A with a different charger?
You can test your phone with accubattery to see the charge rate while the screen is off. But keep in mind that phones taper charge rates just like a tesla. Charges slow down as the phone tops off.

Make sure your cables have the necessary configuration to quick charge your phone. The Tesla USB ports may not have the appropriate configuration for your phone. I use a 12V power adapter with a USB-C fast charge output for my phone and another output that should fast charge other phones. Not sure how convenient that is in a 3.

I do the same as @animorph. Fast charger plugged into the 12v in the center console if I need a charge. The USB cable underneath the phone compartment is cumbersome to get to, and it doesn't fit a Samsung S9+ very well when it's plugged in.

At some point, I will get a wireless charging pad for that space and use it primarily. But I will still have the fast charger ready in case I need a quicker charge.

Or it could also be an issue with the cable. Does it pull 2A with a different charger?
Same cable will charge at 2A on another charger, so cable isn't the issue.

You can test your phone with accubattery to see the charge rate while the screen is off.
That's a handy tool - thanks for pointing it out.

Make sure your cables have the necessary configuration to quick charge your phone. The Tesla USB ports may not have the appropriate configuration for your phone. I use a 12V power adapter with a USB-C fast charge output for my phone and another output that should fast charge other phones. Not sure how convenient that is in a 3.
It's not that bad - trick is that you need a short 12V USB charger, otherwise the cable or charger will hit the tray that sits under the armrest where the 12V plug is.

I've resorted to that for the time being for when I do need a quick charge. Kind of a bummer that Tesla didn't get this right.

Did you try it more than once? I'd try another cable too. I've seen randomness in various testing myself. Anyway will be big disappointment if world's largest power bank is stuck with 2x500mA ports from 1997. :|

What kind of charging speeds is everyone seeing in their Model 3?

My Moto X4 (USB-C) only charges at 0.5A (confirmed with Ampere app and USB power meter). It's the same with both the front and rear USB ports. I've seen reports that it should charge at up to 2A. What are you getting?

The best I've gotten is 1A on the front ports and 2.4A on the rears, but this was back in January on an older firmware version.

Did you try it more than once? I'd try another cable too.
I've tried both the cable that comes with the car and another. I have a third type I can try, but I'm not hopeful.

The best I've gotten is 1A on the front ports and 2.4A on the rears, but this was back in January on an older firmware version.
Yeah, I saw that video a while back - made me hopeful that the built-in USB ports would charge my phone at least at 1A - 2A would have been awesome.