Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB corruption for dashcam recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a couple of hours using dashcam, it stops working. The "dashcam" icon on the main display now includes an "X" instead of a red dot.

Looks like the file system got corrupted. Plugging and re-inserting the drive didn't help. When I swapped in a new drive as the current one, the dashcam icon shows up with a healthy red dot.

Here's what MacOS DIsk Utility says:

Repairing file system.
Volume was successfully unmounted.
Performing fsck_msdos -y /dev/rdisk2s1
** /dev/rdisk2s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

/TeslaCam/recent-front-2018-10-13_13-41.mp4 has too many clusters allocated (logical=30399291, physical=30539776)

Drop superfluous clusters? yes

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

Found orphan cluster(s)

Fix? yes

Marked 371 clusters as free

Free space in FSInfo block (1845657) not correct (1846032)

Fix? yes

169 files, 59073024 KiB free (1846032 clusters)

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
Operation successful.

Yep, I got a corrupted filesystem 15 minutes into using the dashcam feature when I unplugged the drive without pausing the recording. Formatted and the filesystem got corrupted again after a 15 minutes driving session without removing the drive from the socket.

Leave bug reports with Tesla anytime the drive gets corrupted and stops recording. They’re the only ones that can fix it. Letting them know how often it happens will hopefully get fixing it a higher priority.

Back when I owned a Model S, someone mentioned that Linux's ext filesystem works (for Music). I forget which version I used, but I believe it was the then-latest, ext4. Try some conservative settings on a Linux native ext4 or ext3 filesystem, and see if that works. Maybe use the "case insensitive" formatting option, if available (I forget if that's a mount or formatting option). Also, try different capitalizations if it doesn't work with the first try. You could even make a directory name for each capitalization and see which one the Tesla uses. I do not know if ext is still supported for music or for the dashcam; it wasn't documented at the time. I find this typical of Tesla: they have undocumented capabilities that they don't support. They should go ahead and support and document it.

I used my Linux system to format the USB stick into ext. I think I even selected a Linux-native partition type or no partition type (you can try both), such as GRUB or whatever the latest was at the time, but be conservative there, knowing that MS-DOS is bad so anything you get to work is probably (not necessarily) better than MS-DOS partition tables. However, I temporarily bought a shareware ext4 filesystem extension for MacOS, and that worked too. Someone with a Linux system here please confirm this works before those with only MacOS buy the shareware ext4 filesystem, because otherwise it would be useless.

My USB music stick always worked flawlessly with the ext* (I think ext4) filesystem on it in my Model S.
After a couple of hours using dashcam, it stops working. The "dashcam" icon on the main display now includes an "X" instead of a red dot.

Looks like the file system got corrupted. Plugging and re-inserting the drive didn't help. When I swapped in a new drive as the current one, the dashcam icon shows up with a healthy red dot.

Here's what MacOS DIsk Utility says:

Repairing file system.
Volume was successfully unmounted.
Performing fsck_msdos -y /dev/rdisk2s1
** /dev/rdisk2s1

** Phase 1 - Preparing FAT

** Phase 2 - Checking Directories

/TeslaCam/recent-front-2018-10-13_13-41.mp4 has too many clusters allocated (logical=30399291, physical=30539776)

Drop superfluous clusters? yes

** Phase 3 - Checking for Orphan Clusters

Found orphan cluster(s)

Fix? yes

Marked 371 clusters as free

Free space in FSInfo block (1845657) not correct (1846032)

Fix? yes

169 files, 59073024 KiB free (1846032 clusters)

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

File system check exit code is 0.
Restoring the original state found as mounted.
Operation successful.
Huh. So, I wonder if Tesla's computer will accepted, use, and automatically repair a journaled ext4 filesystem; then you could practically remove the stick in-use and everything would be dandy, I think.
There was also three fsck-related files, so the car is actively trying to repair the file system when it mounts it (presumably when it wakes up).
<snip>
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 3.4M Dec 31 1969 FSCK0000.REC
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 1.7M Dec 31 1969 FSCK0001.REC
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 480K Dec 31 1969 FSCK0002.REC
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 12M Dec 31 1969 FSCK0003.REC
That's good news for my theory of using ext4 with journaling turned on :)
what usb drives are you using? Dont cheap out on them because dash cam recording is a strenuous activity (its constantly writing to the usb drive when the car is on) and will kill most drives. What happens when you get in an accident and find out your usb drive went co

I bought a small microSD usb adapter and using a 128gb Samsung Endurance Pro microSD.
That makes perfect sense!

The USB stick I used for music in my Model S was a known-high-quality well-working USB stick, which I then had to hunt down and specifically purchase. My effort was rewarded with a stick that I still own and never failed nor had flaws.
I'm using this USB stick (it's really tiny!): SanDisk Ultra Fit 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - SDCZ43-064G-GAM46 . I bought a pair so that I can always leave one installed in the car if I ever needed to review recordings from the other.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BGTG3JA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's the same one I used, recommended from here at TMC, for music. However, I don't think we did a lot of write-cycles using Music; are you sure it works well with dashcam?

Last edited:
There was also three fsck-related files, so the car is actively trying to repair the file system when it mounts it (presumably when it wakes up).
<snip>
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 3.4M Dec 31 1969 FSCK0000.REC
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 1.7M Dec 31 1969 FSCK0001.REC
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 480K Dec 31 1969 FSCK0002.REC
-rwxrwxrwx 1 bburns 119050435 12M Dec 31 1969 FSCK0003.REC

My drive gets corrupted if I remove it without pausing the recording.

I have to pause the recording, and then remove the drive.

I do wonder why I need a recording of inside my garage when I'm just sitting in my car in park.
It took more time than I care to admit to figure out what my cam was looking at. And I’m still working on why. Glad I’m not the only one.

Alas, my M3 cam has stopped recording as well, after recording a robust 50-odd mp4 files today.

I didn't have a USB drive handy, so I took the 32GB SD card out of my camera and put it in a USB holder that I use for moving files from the card to the computer via USB. I plugged that into the car. It showed that it was recording. But I didn't go anywhere at that time.

Later I moved the car out of the garage for some garage work, and then back in. It showed that it was recording. Later yet, I went out to do some chores but the icon indicated that it was not recording. I brought the thing inside and plugged it into the computer, and there were two files in TeslaCam and two fsck(???) files in the root directory. The first of the recordings played fine, one minute of video of me driving. The second would not play. When I told the Mac disk utility to run a check I got a print-out similar to what X509v3 posted above in the first post of this thread.

I made no further attempts to fix anything other than deleting the files, because based on the above, the Tesla software is buggy and unless someone posts otherwise, I'm guessing nothing I do is going to give me a working dashcam. I expect Tesla to fix it in a future firmware version, and I'll wait for that.

I might give it one more try first.

What they really need to do is allow us to send the video to our own computer via wi-fi. Or even just to our phone via BT so we don't have to bring in the USB stick every time we want to see if the video actually recorded.

I'm writing this whole thing off as a very buggy first attempt.

I can’t get anything I’ve tried so far to work beyond the car going to sleep. When the car wakes up the first time, the camera icon does come up but with an “x” where the red dot should be. The next time the car wakes up, the camera icon doesn’t come up at all. Afterwards, the drives are completely corrupted and need to be reformatted before my PC will recognize them.

I can’t get anything I’ve tried so far to work beyond the car going to sleep. When the car wakes up the first time, the camera icon does come up but with an “x” where the red dot should be. The next time the car wakes up, the camera icon doesn’t come up at all. Afterwards, the drives are completely corrupted and need to be reformatted before my PC will recognize them.

My advice: Forget about it until Tesla fixes the software. The dashcam doesn't work in the present version beyond a brief time after a newly formatted drive is inserted. I imagine Tesla knows this by now and it's in the queue for revision.

My advice: Forget about it until Tesla fixes the software. The dashcam doesn't work in the present version beyond a brief time after a newly formatted drive is inserted. I imagine Tesla knows this by now and it's in the queue for revision.

Check out this thread. It may be how you are formatting. Or the tool you are using.
See if this helps maybe format it and keep it working.

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

Check out this thread. It may be how you are formatting. Or the tool you are using.
See if this helps maybe format it and keep it working.

[V9] How to Format USB into 2 Partitions for DashCam and Music [Windows]

Tl;dr.

So, has this person's USB drive operated for a few days without being corrupted by the car? I don't have access to a Windows computer, and I don't need to put music and dashcam on a single drive. I think I read about someone else getting music and dashcam on the same drive by creating two partitions. But I don't remember if it worked for a whole day without being corrupted. I recall reading about this in the context of getting one USB drive to do both music and dashcam, but I don't remember it being posted in the context of how to get around the bug that corrupts the drive used for the dashcam.

General question: Has anyone gotten a USB drive to work without being corrupted?

Tl;dr.

So, has this person's USB drive operated for a few days without being corrupted by the car? I don't have access to a Windows computer, and I don't need to put music and dashcam on a single drive. I think I read about someone else getting music and dashcam on the same drive by creating two partitions. But I don't remember if it worked for a whole day without being corrupted. I recall reading about this in the context of getting one USB drive to do both music and dashcam, but I don't remember it being posted in the context of how to get around the bug that corrupts the drive used for the dashcam.

General question: Has anyone gotten a USB drive to work without being corrupted?
I'm only on Day 2 using Joe's partition instructions, but the cam restarted successfully this morning.

If you don't need two partitions, you can still follow his tutorial to reformat the drive to GPT and then create a single partition. All you would need to do is omit the one line of code where he creates the 16GB partition.

Tl;dr.

I posted that more for this talk about GPT maybe helping with the corruption.

I formatted using my MAC with a new 128GB SanDisk. No corruption since upgrading to v9 on friday.

• Informative
Reactions: daniel
So I have been having the same issue as everyone else with the dash cam and I have been thinking about what could be causing the problem. I have a theory, I think the issue can be that the car cuts off the 5volt power to the USB ports as soon as we close the door when we leave the car, and the computer doesn't have enough time to close any open file that is part of the video stream. Can any one with a lighted USB drive check if the light goes out the moment the car door is closed?

Can any one with a lighted USB drive check if the light goes out the moment the car door is closed?
Nope. Just tested it. The LED didn't go out when the door was closed, nor when I locked the doors.

However, I do agree that the corruption is usually caused by the file cache not completely flushed before removing it or cut the power.

I also notice that now, under USB tab, it shows I have 2 USB devices with 0 songs in it, even though I have no USB drive plugged in.

I just received a notification for another update. I just got 39.7 four days ago. I am surprised to get another update so soon. Maybe it is to fix this file corruption bug?

Seems my dash cam doesn't want to work. I formatted a 32GB Sandisk Thumb Drive using FAT32 and installed an it initially worked. Did a test drive and it recorder several 1 minute files. The next time I got in the car (next day for work) it appeared to be working (the little icon showed up with a red dot). Next time I got in the car the icon showed up with a small "X" where the red dot was. I tried removing and reinstalling but no help. I took it out when I got home and when I plugged it into my computer I received a message saying there is a problem with the drive would you like to repair. I said yes and windows came back in a few seconds and said the drive was ready to use. When I looked at the thumb drive there were a couple of strange .dsk files in the basic directory along with the TeslaCam folder I created but the TeslaCam folder only had a video recording (.mp4) of 0 bytes. Anyone else having a problem getting the video recording to work?