Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Game Controllers confirmed to work (at least with Teslatari games)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got 28.2 a few days ago, but only now got around to testing my xbox wired usb controller. It seems to work well with BB2 - was able to accelerate, brake, steer, do the A and B features. I don't know about the other games, and whether everything was actually working, but it was fun, and I even won a race. This is just a standard issue usb xbox, the kind that you can buy at best buy.
Same. I'm using just an old xBox 360 wired USB controller, and it does work in everything, with one nasty bug in Asteroids... it constantly spins your ship counterclockwise. You also can't shoot nearly as quickly on the Tesla port of Asteroids as you could the actual arcade console. I remember, back in the day, shooting a tight string of ten so quickly that it looked like a straight line instead of dots. To really do well at Asteroids, you need to be able to shoot a really tight string like that.

How's the "sensitivity"? Overly sensitive like most controllers seem to be with Teslatari/BB2?

In some games, the xBox 360 wired USB controller is waaaay too sensitive. Darn near unplayable. In other games, it's fine.

Some game controllers have the ability to have their button/controller settings saved to the firmware of the controller, alleviating the need to have configuration files on the computer. Finding which of these types of controller will work with the Tesla might not be easy without spending a ton on different controllers.

I just received my iBuffalo USB Gamepad today from Amazon. Happy to report that it works great with all the Atari games. It's also worth noting it's half the price and half the bulk of a PS4 or XBox controller. Now just waiting on Cuphead :)

Edit: Breakout isn't really playable with this gamepad. It just moves the paddle completely to the left or right side depending on how you press the d-pad.

Yep, all of these things are why I went with it as well!

I tried the iBuffalo unit as well and it didn’t work with BB2. The only button that did anything on BB2 is “start”, which brings up the menu of the game but no other buttons did anything, and pressing start did not make the menu go away. I did try asteroids and it seems to work well there. It’s odd that both of you have the same controller and it’s working with BB2. I just installed firmware 28.3.1, in which the release notes indicate it has controller support for BB2.

None of this is a big deal but I thought I would keep a controller in the car for fun. I will if I can find one that works.

Reactions: jigjug
I just found a PS4 controller that I forgot I had, but haven't tried it yet. Any PS4 users that may want to share their experience?

I picked up a PS4 controller yesterday. It works but the buttons are mapped in the wrong order for Missile Command, which makes for confusing gameplay:

• ▢ = center
  • X = right
  • O = left
Mapped correctly that would be:
  • ▢ = left
  • X = center
  • O = right

Last edited:
Beach Buggy Racing recently added controller support, have you had time to confirm it works?

Do the button assignments make sense for Missile Command? Namely:
  • X = left base
  • A = center base
  • B = right base
Please let’s us know if the sensitivity is okay with this controller, if it’s adjustable, and if it works with BB2, after 28.3.1 is installed. Thank you.

Since 2019.28.3.1 was installed, has anyone found a controller/game pad that works with Teslatari AND Beach Buggy 2, 100%? When I say, "100%," I mean all functions and buttons work well and there isn't any "over sensitivity". I tried a PS4 controller - NADA, tried the Amazon sourced Buffalo game pad for $22 - Only works with Teslatari. When Tesla release notes say BB2 now works with USB controllers, what ones?

Thanks. I guess it’s not worth buying a controller and trying to play these as Atari originally intended, ‘cause this implementation renders that impossible at the moment.
You know? The funny thing is, if Elon really wanted you to play all these games, one would think that he would elucidate this matter by telling all owners just what controller works?

Reactions: jebinc
Since 2019.28.3.1 was installed, has anyone found a controller/game pad that works with Teslatari AND Beach Buggy 2, 100%? When I say, "100%," I mean all functions and buttons work well and there isn't any "over sensitivity". I tried a PS4 controller - NADA, tried the Amazon sourced Buffalo game pad for $22 - Only works with Teslatari. When Tesla release notes say BB2 now works with USB controllers, what ones?

Doubt we'll see anything that satisfies this until we are able to manually adjust sensitivity. Right now i'm fine with the sensitivity of the analogs when I play asteroids and centipede. Don't care too much for the other games. Still waiting on a software update so I can start playing BB2 with the controller.

More parlor tricks and gimmicks than usable/reliable functionality - again...

I cannot disagree with you in good faith. I have never played ANY of the games since they became available. But I DO spend a lot of time recharging at the SC and listening to music.......and while I am ecstatic with the sound of the UHD surround sound since I installed the sub-woofer last year, it might be a little fun to while away the time playing some of the games should a decent controller be found that is compatible with all of them. It just might make a good kid sitter also?

Reactions: jebinc
Beach Buggy Racing recently added controller support, have you had time to confirm it works?

Do the button assignments make sense for Missile Command? Namely:
  • X = left base
  • A = center base
  • B = right base
Beach Buggy racing works with the Logitech that I have, but you need to hold the RT button to accelerate. The A and B mapping for the picked up items work fine and the left joystick works for direction. I need to do more testing with Teslatari games, but Lunar Lander isn't right. I'll check Missle Command for you over lunch today.

EDIT: Missle Command does work well using XAB for the different bases. Left joystick moves the cursor.

Last edited:
Thanks! I noticed the same for Beach Buggy with the PS4 controller - right trigger for acceleration, left trigger for brakes. I've noticed the steering wheel can cause problems if it's not centered, possibly related to what you're seeing in Lunar Lander.

I cannot disagree with you in good faith. I have never played ANY of the games since they became available. But I DO spend a lot of time recharging at the SC and listening to music.......and while I am ecstatic with the sound of the UHD surround sound since I installed the sub-woofer last year, it might be a little fun to while away the time playing some of the games should a decent controller be found that is compatible with all of them. It just might make a good kid sitter also?

Understood. It's just really disappointing to release something that doesn't have any hardware support - even from the OEM (Tesla)… To add insult to injury, they release 28.3 firmware and it the release notes boasts USB controller support for BB2...