Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB/Power Socket - Not Always On

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If there is one thing that irritates the hell out of me it's that the usb's and power socket aren't always on. Why the heck would they turn off with the car and stop charging a phone. It sure isn't going to kill a battery putting out only 1-2 amps.

Tried doing a search but can't find any modification thread for this. Has anyone modified any of their ports to be always on? If so, where did you connect to power? I did it in my truck to the two power sockets with no problems.

Newer VIN constant 12v power options (dashcam)?

There is a connector that you could use to swap in a +5V supply of your own choosing just behind the touchscreen, I believe in the panel at the passenger footwell. There are more threads around here. The thread posted above talks about where to find constant +12V. I can't find the thread I was thinking of where it was discussed adding a better power supply, but I'm sure someone else might remember.

• Love
Reactions: obie_fl
If you want to use the ODBII connector for permanent 12V power you can hack together a cable that does just that. Just need to pick the correct 2 wires which is pretty easy. My hack job looked like this:
img_4036.jpg

The parts cost $18 and it took about 5 mins to cut the ends and solder the wires. Not a permanent modification to the Model S, just plugs into the ODBII. I use it for my dash cam.

If you want to use the ODBII connector for permanent 12V power you can hack together a cable that does just that. Just need to pick the correct 2 wires which is pretty easy. My hack job looked like this:

Nice, but how many amps can the OBD II port deliver and is it fused anywhere? I would probably want to throw an in-line fuse into that assembly if it were me.

View attachment 109218
The parts cost $18 and it took about 5 mins to cut the ends and solder the wires. Not a permanent modification to the Model S, just plugs into the ODBII. I use it for my dash cam.

This is a very old post and was very helpful at the time. I did the jumper and it works perfect. But I bought a vent mounted wireless charger for my phone and had to run the cord across the bowling alley and up the display tucking it behind the leather wrap around. Not a very clean look for sure. So I came back to this old thread and was going to try the OBD II solution proposed here but when I went online to find a adapter I decided to look for a ready made solution and found this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711FXDCZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks ready made and should work. I'll install it once delivered and see if any modifications need to be made.

About a year ago I pulled out the relay and installed a jumper. So power is now always on. This is important not only for charging my phone, but also keeping the Echo Dot on so I can interact with it when the car is sitting still.

This is a very simple fix and much easier than tapping the OBD2 port.

Yea....why have a Dot? Just use your phone and say "OK Google" play whatever and it will play over the car stereo. I use Amazon Music as the default music player and works great every time.

I want to use the OBD port to power my wireless charger without running a wire across. I did the jumper thing and they aux port is always on but I don't like visible wires.

This is a very old post and was very helpful at the time. I did the jumper and it works perfect. But I bought a vent mounted wireless charger for my phone and had to run the cord across the bowling alley and up the display tucking it behind the leather wrap around. Not a very clean look for sure. So I came back to this old thread and was going to try the OBD II solution proposed here but when I went online to find a adapter I decided to look for a ready made solution and found this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0711FXDCZ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks ready made and should work. I'll install it once delivered and see if any modifications need to be made.

Update: Works perfectly. No modifications.

Yea....why have a Dot? Just use your phone and say "OK Google" play whatever and it will play over the car stereo. I use Amazon Music as the default music player and works great every time.

I want to use the OBD port to power my wireless charger without running a wire across. I did the jumper thing and they aux port is always on but I don't like visible wires.

For lots of reasons. I can turn the lights on and off in my house, adjust the termostat, send text messages by voice, and do all other kinds of things from my car,

For lots of reasons. I can turn the lights on and off in my house, adjust the termostat, send text messages by voice, and do all other kinds of things from my car,

That question is probably better asked in another thread where people will pay more attention but I would say the reason is to control those functions you need a app. Apps can't be loaded on the Tesla browser. That said you could check your messages but it would have to be a browser based site. Like your provider. Test messages can be sent/received/viewed from directly on you mobile providers website. Try that.