Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2016 Model S P90D vs New Model Y (AWD Long Range)

Would you used late year 2016 Model S (P90D FSD) or new Model Y (LR FSD)

• Model Y

• Model S

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All;

I have been all in on the Model Y. As my delivery date gets closer I have started to shop the used inventory. Do you think I am missing out on much as I can get a 2016 (Later than October updates) with FSD, for the same price as brand new model Y. My biggest concern with Model Y is size and luxury features. I like the potential riding height of the Model Y because of my stature (6'6). Would love insight from Model S enthusiast if this is a better buy than a new Model Y.

I don't buy brand new vehicles because of the rate of depreciation. Others only buy new vehicles. Point being, everyone is different. Rather than ask us you should do lots of reading on what all of the differences actually are. Somewhere in there you'll find solid reasons why one or the other fits your personal needs better rather than mine or someone else's needs.

You may find on a local facebook page someone that can offer you a chance to sit in a Model S to see if it will in fact work for you. Went to the Austin Fully Charge event and worked the Ride along with our Model X. Several people wanted to see how much room was available for they did not sit well in the S. Keep in mind, the seat can be lowered. That's the first think should be sorted. I also fee there may be more room in the Model Y mainly it appears to be more bubbly (Could be wrong).

Now figure out what's important?

You are getting HW3 with a different MCU. Although the model S mentions FSD, may not already have the HW3 chip.
The model Y can take advantage of V3 charging and has the latest battery chemistry.
Landscape screen makes for a more immersive viewing pleasure of Netflix.
The Model S should have free Super Charging where the Y will not.
Not sure what if any luxury features may be included on the S over the Y.
The Y should be easier to see out of along with being a tad small car, easier to maneuver and park.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
+1 for never buying new from the perspective of maximizing value proposition.

That said, I would encourage you to ensure you have something with MCU2. Tesla has made it pretty clear that us with MCU1 that we can can go kick rocks. Every update just taxes the MCU further and further to the point of barely usable.

• Helpful
Reactions: daviddfann
Hard for anyone (outside of Tesla employees) to answer for sure at this point, but I would guess that given the parts similarity, the suspension/ride should be fairly close to a Model 3. If you really want to compare, I’d start with driving a Model 3 and see how that grabs you.

I started out in a used Model S then went to a new Model 3. My recommendation is to go with the new car IF you are someone who enjoys the latest tech. I loved my Model S but it didn't have any sensors at all (not even parking sensors) and watching all those updates roll out that I couldn't use, and watching my MCU slow down while others were getting Sentry... Well, I'm happier with the newer tech. So please do best that in mind. Your used S will never have FSD. That may not bug you today, but in a few years you'll be itching for that upgrade!

Hi All;

I have been all in on the Model Y. As my delivery date gets closer I have started to shop the used inventory. Do you think I am missing out on much as I can get a 2016 (Later than October updates) with FSD, for the same price as brand new model Y. My biggest concern with Model Y is size and luxury features. I like the potential riding height of the Model Y because of my stature (6'6). Would love insight from Model S enthusiast if this is a better buy than a new Model Y.

Wanted a Model S, because of how beautiful they look, but ended up with a Model X because it was so much easier to get in and out of.

At 6 '6" you might find the same benefits with the Model Y.

Both S/Y are fantastic vehicles. Get all that EV goodness.

You will be able to get the Model S right away. Long line of people ahead of you with deposits, waiting fo get their own Model Y.