Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model 3 Option Packages Transfer Question

Kee_Chain

Apr 28, 2019
Kokomo
Hello, I am thinking about buying a long range model 3 RWD, I know for a fact I would like to buy used and am willing to wait until Model 3 really start hitting the used market (More than they currently are). One question that I can not find a solid answer on is that if owner 1 (original owners) buys autopilot and FSD, then places that vehicle for sale, will owner 2 (second hand owner) have to pay for autopilot and FSD again? Thank you!

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
OP as far as I can tell, free unlimited supercharging is something that does not transfer. It may or may not depending on the car (when it was purchased, under which program etc).

At least for right now, EAP / AP / FSD transfer with the car. The thing to be careful of, is does the car have Enhanced autopilot (EAP) and /or Full self driving, or Autopilot and FSD.

Kilotango74

Apr 2, 2019
Palmdale, CA
OP as far as I can tell, free unlimited supercharging is something that does not transfer. It may or may not depending on the car (when it was purchased, under which program etc).

At least for right now, EAP / AP / FSD transfer with the car. The thing to be careful of, is does the car have Enhanced autopilot (EAP) and /or Full self driving, or Autopilot and FSD.
Tesla itself sells used cars that are advertised to have the free supercharging option so it absolutely does carry over.

commasign

TeslaAdviceBlog.com
Aug 31, 2013
Davis, CA
Only S and X delivered before mid-January 2017 have transferable lifetime free supercharging. Model 3 does not have transferable lifetime free supercharging.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
Since AP is a standard feature now on tesla cars, do used model 3s that did NOT purchase AP, Do they now get it with the latest software?

No. Tesla raised the prices when they bundled AP with all of the variants on the web site. (You can still buy an SR or LR RWD without AP off-menu.)

Kee_Chain

Apr 28, 2019
Kokomo
Thank you very much for the all the information, I do have a follow up question, I have noticed that some sellers are trying to be sneaky and essentially falsely advertising options on their model 3s, is their a Tesla VIN checker or another method to confirm what exactly the Model 3 car is equip with. Thank you!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC