Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been in the market for a used S (clean title and report of course) and with all the buzz around used ones right now I’m a bit lost.

Anyways, if I purchased a used S from a third party and not tesla (let’s say it’s a 2013) is it still receiving the latest updates? And will I have to be concerned about ‘getting caught’ or ‘flagged’ for supercharging? More curious about how high my updating capability will be on an older model like that. Thanks!

Don't forget not all cars came with supercharging back then (was a paid upgrade for 60s and not available on 40s), so you would need to validate that with Tesla (unless it's an 85, in which case it was standard).

My biggest concern would be that you're approaching the end of the 8-year powertrain warranty (battery and motors) on a car built in 2013.

Don't forget not all cars came with supercharging back then (was a paid upgrade for 60s and not available on 40s), so you would need to validate that with Tesla (unless it's an 85, in which case it was standard).

My biggest concern would be that you're approaching the end of the 8-year powertrain warranty (battery and motors) on a car built in 2013.
Didn’t think about that. If supercharging was included in a used one I picked up, would they still have to validate it after purchase due to different ownership?

The warranty ending soon on some of these older ones has definitely been a concern..... would you suggest buying a third party one that specializes in Teslas when it expires then?

i appreciate your help!

Didn’t think about that. If supercharging was included in a used one I picked up, would they still have to validate it after purchase due to different ownership?

The warranty ending soon on some of these older ones has definitely been a concern..... would you suggest buying a third party one that specializes in Teslas when it expires then?

i appreciate your help!

They've made some changes with regards to the transferability of supercharging, but early ones were sold with "supercharging for the life of the vehicle." If it transfers you wouldn't really need to do anything other than transfer the car to your account (by proving ownership).

I haven't researched third-party warranties, but from what I understand most of them (for any make of car) feel like scams.

I wouldn't personally buy one if I knew the powertrain warranty were going to expire during my ownership. Tesla replaced the motor twice on my 2013, under warranty.

They've made some changes with regards to the transferability of supercharging, but early ones were sold with "supercharging for the life of the vehicle." If it transfers you wouldn't really need to do anything other than transfer the car to your account (by proving ownership).

I haven't researched third-party warranties, but from what I understand most of them (for any make of car) feel like scams.

I wouldn't personally buy one if I knew the powertrain warranty were going to expire during my ownership. Tesla replaced the motor twice on my 2013, under warranty.
Perfect. Then I’m not too worried about it. That’s good to hear

woof. A motor roughly once every 3 years? Especially if the one I pick up has a pretty steep odometer, that’s something to seriously consider. Idk if this is controversial or anything (I’m pretty new to the club) but rich rebuilds suggested a third party one to me but even then I too am a bit skeptical

Thanks for the advice. Good stuff to sit on while everything is shut down. I appreciate the help, guy

I’ve been in the market for a used S (clean title and report of course) and with all the buzz around used ones right now I’m a bit lost.

Anyways, if I purchased a used S from a third party and not tesla (let’s say it’s a 2013) is it still receiving the latest updates? And will I have to be concerned about ‘getting caught’ or ‘flagged’ for supercharging? More curious about how high my updating capability will be on an older model like that. Thanks!
Dude, I had to figure all of this out the hard way.

2013 - The supercharging capability on all cars except 40, 60 was standard. If you get higher than 60, it should have it. I have the 85 which I bought off Carvana. Mine is a 2013 Model S 85. (Bought on Carvana for $34,100 plus tax)

Free Supercharging. A 2013 Model S has free supercharging for life regardless of ownership change. If you buy from a 3rd party dealer or private, the free supercharging will remain. HOWEVER, if the vehicle was turned back into Tesla and re-sold; Tesla has the option of taking the free supercharging AWAY from the vehicle. Leased vehicles will most certainly be stripped unless it's being re-sold at a high price.

If you're a worry wart, buy a Certified Tesla Model S on their site. It comes with a warranty (different amounts for each vehicle) but mostly they take it up to 100,000 miles standard. However, if you want free supercharging, click on that option on the left hand side. The cheapest I've seen a used Model S with free supercharging was $62,700. New Model S' come with free supercharging.

Updates - All the Model S receive new updates. However, because of hardware restrictions only certain changes will affect your vehicle.

*Carvana - If you buy from Carvana - they give you 4189 miles of a "full warranty". SOME of their cars have free supercharging, SOME do not. The one I bought, it was advertised, however, you should ask a chat representative on their site to ask which ones do." When I asked how would I know if I had free supercharging, they suggested having the delivery done at a Tesla supercharger, so you can make sure it supercharges on delivery. If it doesn't charge, chances are it's a PAID "Model S" so you will have to make an account on their site and add a credit card to use their superchargers.

Carfax - Sometimes, a Carfax report can show if Tesla re-took the vehicle thus jeopardizing the free supercharging.

Tesla Warranty - My Tesla is a 2013 however it is still under "powertrain warranty" until 100,000 miles or 17 more months whichever comes first. Yours will have the same powertrain warranty.

The main options to consider. Do you want:

Smart Air Suspension or regular coil etc.
Pano Roof
Premium Sound
Tech Package
3rd Row Seat
Trim Choices
19" Standard or upgraded 20"
Leather Trim or Standard
Lastly, if you want the center console

That should start you out in the right direction. Good luck!

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: ElectricTravel
Dude, I had to figure all of this out the hard way.

2013 - The supercharging capability on all cars except 40, 60 was standard. If you get higher than 60, it should have it. I have the 85 which I bought off Carvana. Mine is a 2013 Model S 85. (Bought on Carvana for $34,100 plus tax)

Free Supercharging. A 2013 Model S has free supercharging for life regardless of ownership change. If you buy from a 3rd party dealer or private, the free supercharging will remain. HOWEVER, if the vehicle was turned back into Tesla and re-sold; Tesla has the option of taking the free supercharging AWAY from the vehicle. Leased vehicles will most certainly be stripped unless it's being re-sold at a high price.

If you're a worry wart, buy a Certified Tesla Model S on their site. It comes with a warranty (different amounts for each vehicle) but mostly they take it up to 100,000 miles standard. However, if you want free supercharging, click on that option on the left hand side. The cheapest I've seen a used Model S with free supercharging was $62,700. New Model S' come with free supercharging.

Updates - All the Model S receive new updates. However, because of hardware restrictions only certain changes will affect your vehicle.

*Carvana - If you buy from Carvana - they give you 4189 miles of a "full warranty". SOME of their cars have free supercharging, SOME do not. The one I bought, it was advertised, however, you should ask a chat representative on their site to ask which ones do." When I asked how would I know if I had free supercharging, they suggested having the delivery done at a Tesla supercharger, so you can make sure it supercharges on delivery. If it doesn't charge, chances are it's a PAID "Model S" so you will have to make an account on their site and add a credit card to use their superchargers.

Carfax - Sometimes, a Carfax report can show if Tesla re-took the vehicle thus jeopardizing the free supercharging.

Tesla Warranty - My Tesla is a 2013 however it is still under "powertrain warranty" until 100,000 miles or 17 more months whichever comes first. Yours will have the same powertrain warranty.

The main options to consider. Do you want:

Smart Air Suspension or regular coil etc.
Pano Roof
Premium Sound
Tech Package
3rd Row Seat
Trim Choices
19" Standard or upgraded 20"
Leather Trim or Standard
Lastly, if you want the center console

That should start you out in the right direction. Good luck!

thanks so much man! That helps a ton

This might sound dumb but I’m actually not too concerned about supercharging. I barely go long distance in my PHEV as it is (I fly whenever possible) so that would be a major benefit either way and I will use those tips!

thanks for the in on updates. Obviously if I don’t have AP hardware and an update that is AP focused gets pushed, I understand I wouldn’t get much difference haha. Just wanted to make sure tesla is still updating them and they can receive them! So thanks for that.

at the end of the day, I’m not concerned about color, or trim, or certain features/specifications over others...... I just want a tesla...... period. Haha. So warranty and battery/drivetrain are actually probably my biggest concerns now that I know the older S’s are still getting updates.

cheers