Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85D or new 70D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been around the block to know that a dealer's PPI isn't the end all to getting a problem free car. It's always going to be buyer beware.

If performance is paramount, and it seems getting a front fascia is important to the OP, get the newest P, you can afford. Maybe a P90DL? I'll state this again, go look/drive an older Tesla and compare to a more recent one. The minor tweaks/changes end up being pretty big as far as the quality goes. The last loaner I got was a 2015 P85L+ with 20K miles, and I was surprised at how much difference in motor whine, wind noise, and general fit and finish compared to the 2017 cars. I'm not saying the new cars are perfect in anyway, but they are leaps and bounds different than the older ones.
What is a P85L+?

My car is eligible because I bought it directly from tesla. Most of the time if you buy it from any other dealer you cannot get the warranty.
Although if you buy from a private owner Tesla will sometimes cooperate in the transfer, effectively creating a CPO. I do not know if they will always do that or not.

Typo, p85d+

Also, which version s75 did you drive??
I have never heard of P85D+ either. Mine is P85D now, delivered as P85D in late December 2014, hence one of the first P85D. The S75 I drove is a car delivered as an S60 and given the software upgrade to S75, it was delivered in January 2017.

I have never heard of P85D+ either. Mine is P85D now, delivered as P85D in late December 2014, hence one of the first P85D. The S75 I drove is a car delivered as an S60 and given the software upgrade to S75, it was delivered in January 2017.

That's the old one. You should try a new S75. They have the exact performance as the P85. I did drive an old S60, and I would have never bought one. They are slugs.

Since you literally deal in these used cars, I have to ask you this... If the difference in price between a used and a new Tesla is about $10k , under what circumstances would you consider the used car to be a better deal?

I am seeing used Teslas from the CPO site with nearly 50k miles, listing for close to $60k..not sure if mileage does not matter as much with Teslas.

btw I use your site extensively..thanks

Knowing the car's history from the start is one thing. But to assert that anyone buying a used P85D is going to get an abused car is absurd.

Anyone buying a used car is free to get a pre-purchase inspection to validate the condition of the car. It's called due-dilligence. Used Teslas present an extremely good deal as in the case of P85Ds, they are nearly 50% depreciated already and are holding their value pretty well. But if anyone wants to buy a new car and take that big depreciation hit on mile 1, that's their choice. I've never bought a new car in my life, and that includes many high-performance sports and collectible cars that people didn't abuse before selling.

Since you literally deal in these used cars, I have to ask you this... If the difference in price between a used and a new Tesla is about $10k , under what circumstances would you consider the used car to be a better deal?

I am seeing used Teslas from the CPO site with nearly 50k miles, listing for close to $60k..not sure if mileage does not matter as much with Teslas.

btw I use your site extensively..thanks

Thanks for your comments. It's really hard to answer that question because it's really different for everyone. Used cars are already highly depreciated, so you might get more range or performance bang for your buck. New cars get the federal tax credit, and are well, new. There are lots of other very subjective reasons to go with one or the other which we've covered in previous posts in this thread. It really depends on your personal priorities and the two specific cars you're comparing.

For argument's sake..say you were comparing this (used) :

85 kWh Model S 5YJSA1H11EFP59600 | Tesla

with this (new):

Model S 75 5YJSA1E1XHF202788 | Tesla

or (new)

Model S 75 5YJSA1E19HF201079 | Tesla

It seems to me like one of the new ones is a no brainer, but I am sure I am missing something as I keep seeing CPO cars like in my example literally flying off the shelf.

Not trying to make you do my work for me btw, just trying to get an understanding :)

Exactly it's a no brainer.

In tesla time, the difference between a '14 and '17 is HUGE. Elon has mentioned that they make a lot of running engineering changes every week. All that sums up to a much better car and driving experience. Just drive a used '14 and a new '17 back to back and you'll see what I mean. They are very different.

Thank you all for the input. I do use my C63S AMG at the limit. I regularly attend road rallies and have "allegedly" ran the car up to it's limited speed of 180mph...in Mexico of course.

I drive in a very spirited manner and want to make sure the 70D won't be a downgrade from the AMG. Definitely mention your previous cars owned, as everyone's point of reference for what a "fast car" is relative.

Would very much like to hear from those who have owned other exotic / performance cars!
Full disclosure: the handling won’t be quite as good as the C63S.
In my opinion more than made up for by the lightning fast throttle response and low end torque of the 75D.
I have an early 75D and it’s very quick. The current 75D is a full second faster.

I tried a MS75 and it was quite good considering I have a P85D. The P85D is still faster and the suspension on my model is not bad. With regards to handling, I also have an early Acura NSX and that model handles. It is a lighter car (slower) but way more agile. You will find that all MS' are a bit heavy because of the batteries but at least they are mounted low so the CG is very good. Is the MS a race car or even a track car - I am afraid not. Is it fun and fast off the line yet quiet at the same time - absolutely. I hardly EVER drive my NSX. I look forward to driving my MS every day.