Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used P85DL for $70K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BigNick

Infamous Fat Sweaty Guy
Dec 3, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
2015 Model S | Tesla
This isn’t exactly low mileage and it lacks the Subzero package.
Photos aren’t in the ad.
Two months ago I picked up a very similar P85DL with nearly 40K fewer miles, same color but grey interior plus 21s and Subzero, for a whole lot less.
Is the short supply of used P85D cars causing Tesla to ask crazy money for them now?

2015 Model S | Tesla
This isn’t exactly low mileage and it lacks the Subzero package.
Photos aren’t in the ad.
Two months ago I picked up a very similar P85DL with nearly 40K fewer miles, same color but grey interior plus 21s and Subzero, for a whole lot less.
Is the short supply of used P85D cars causing Tesla to ask crazy money for them now?
Holy moly. I picked up a non-L P85D (had every option) two months ago for $25k less. The used market has really gotten tough.

There's something wrong with this price.... I was gonna start a thread about this car last night, haha. And it was $72,000 when they put it there last night, I think!

Completely ridiculous - $72k is at the high end of even the best P90DL's they sell, plus it's 62,000 miles / 2 yr warranty!

They're selling higher mileage (50k+) P85D's for less than $50k (I found one for $47k). This is pretty much the same except it has Ludicrous... that's about it. Completely ridiculous.

Reactions: byeLT4
FWIW I picked up a silver P85D with only 35K miles for about $25k cheaper in May from Tesla and it has every single option Tesla had back then. My car was mfg two months before this car. While this car had L. I don’t think that $5k upgrade is worth all that extra $.

Holy Moly!
I'm glad I grabbed my car when I did!
Fully loaded P85D for $47k.

It sure seems like those making decisions at Tesla suffer from bipolar disorder. Have they made all the drastic changes and about faces forever, or is all the craziness fairly new?

When I was looking and finally pulled the trigger in April on my P85D it seem all the CPO vehicles started out at an initially high price and as a result of the Dutch Auction it trickles down over time. My fully loaded MS (less cold package, rear jump seat) started at some $65k and then I purchased it at $51.3k.

It took a while to trend down, but nonetheless it did. I don’t think there is anything new here.

This is nothing new, Tesla starts the price high and lowers it until it sells, or they reset it back to high. Not a new technique - I've seen ICE dealers do the same. Apparently it works for maximizing the sale price - like a reverse auction. People buy motivated by the fear of missing out. If you really want ludicrous and there is only one available, you might stretch your price to get it before someone else does.

• Informative
Reactions: commasign and AMPd
I was debating over a P85DL I could of gotten for 36k and then it ended up selling, been kicking myself for a while over it.
That is exactly it. Imagine someone was looking for this configuration before, and they waited while the price was going down but someone else bought it and then there was no similar one on the market for months, while the would be buyer was kicking themselves ("If I only paid $1000 more I could have had the car already"). When another one comes up, that person might be looking for ways to justify a higher price so they can scoop the car before it sells again, so they don't miss out this time too.

It also has a body color roof and standard 19" wheels lol...
Also worth noting that right now there's a P90DL with 17,000 FEWER miles (also means 4 years of warranty instead of 2), more options for $10,000 LESS... right on Tesla's website.

I will never understand Tesla's pricing.

Reactions: byeLT4
They always list the cars for high prices and then drop the price by $1k-$2k every 1-2 days until someone buys. This one might have been listed for a little more than usual but it'll sell for whatever the market deems it is worth.

BTW they FINALLY stepped up their game with the photos! When they first started getting the used cars photos in their website without the stupid request button they were pulling low res versions and they weren't good photos. Now the photos are high quality AND they're framed well and show you what you want to see, generally.

While I agree that the high price and subsequent dropping is par for the course I think we are all just shocked on original listing of this 4 year old car. I have seen P100Ds for about 10k more a few months ago and people have apparently gotten brand new P100Ds with free ludicrous in the low 80s as well recently.

We're at 68,600 this morning......