Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Tesla Model 3s pricing error?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While at the SC today for service, I asked out of curiosity what a trade-in would be for a LR-AWD, EAP, FSD, White on White Model 3, 19's, 12K mile December 2018 build... 33,900

That is disgusting. Why would I ever want to buy another Tesla new? I can't understand how it could have any positive effect in terms of brand loyalty.

Tesla doesn’t have enough cash to pay for buybacks specifically. That’s part of the reason for such low resale values. No point in using precious cash for inventory.

Takes few weeks from buyback to sale. It’s the cash position that suffers. Finally Tesla has learned a bit to “move the metal” from Detroit. They need to churn production to inventory to sale faster and faster since they are not a traditional dealer.

Reactions: MXWing
While at the SC today for service, I asked out of curiosity what a trade-in would be for a LR-AWD, EAP, FSD, White on White Model 3, 19's, 12K mile December 2018 build... 33,900

That is disgusting. Why would I ever want to buy another Tesla new? I can't understand how it could have any positive effect in terms of brand loyalty.

Tesla lowballs the trade-ins on their own vehicles. They just do not want them back. They would rather have you sell it to Carmax, etc. The problem is you lose out on the tax savings when you trade for a new one. I think it will hurt their repeat business if they don’t address this. In 3 years from now there may 30 or more EVs available from different manufacturers and many will just switch brands as these other manufacturers will offer “conquest” type rebates and incentives to trade your Tesla for their brand. Right now Tesla doesn’t have to offer much for trade in but they will if they want the repeat buyer.

Tesla did good on my purchase on this "error that listed an incorrect price on the vehicle", I got it much less than I would have paid new or same Tesla Model 3 with same configurations (less than 1000 miles -yes it's 7 days returns Model 3) - sounds like price was intended for auction or employee pricing - not for public. Tesla called and made an offer this afternoon and it's better than I was going to suggest to Tesla in compromise. Thank you Elan and Tesla!

• Informative
Reactions: vtvox
I haven't seen anyone mention the crazy AWD and M3P deals that Tesla posted around 1AM this morning.Tesla seem to have listed a whole bunch of them around (100+) and they all sold within minutes. I've seen AWDs for $34-35k and a red M3P for $35k! Bananas!

Here is an album on some of the listings:

Imgur
Tesla did good on my purchase on one of these Model 3! Not exactly the fire sale price, but much much less than I was going to pay.

• Disagree
Reactions: robski
Tesla has more info than we do... Maybe liquidation was better than holding them bc of price fall or feature changes...
Sounds like it was an error, pricing
For the people on here that did snag some of those amazing deals, I'd like to see if Tesla actually honors them and they get to pick up the actual cars...
Tesla actually came very close, not the fire sale prices that listed on Friday night, I am very happy with the price! I was actually going to buy same exact Model 3 4 days earlier.

Reactions: vtvox
Tesla did good on my purchase on this "error that listed an incorrect price on the vehicle", I got it much less than I would have paid new or same Tesla Model 3 with same configurations (less than 1000 miles -yes it's 7 days returns Model 3) - sounds like price was intended for auction or employee pricing - not for public. Tesla called and made an offer this afternoon and it's better than I was going to suggest to Tesla in compromise. Thank you Elan and Tesla!
Mind sharing the config you bought, price quoted and price ultimately paid?

After I pick up the car next week, but if you already brought one earlier, then not sure you want to know.
Haha no i was trying to on Friday night but was about 30min too late for most. Found a couple of stellar deals but hesitated because they weren’t my preferred colors and they sold while I was deciding. Very much interested in what you ended up with!

Reactions: Mr X
All of them in 3 years still gives you anxiety if you drive them more than 100 miles one way.

Realistically, there's only one player in town if you want to go iceless.

The supercharger network is a game changer for sure but who knows maybe Tesla will open it up in the future and let any EV use the network. Also, many households may have one EV and one ICE based vehicle for long distance travel. If the average person only drives 30-50 miles per day then it doesn’t matter all that much anyway.
I also assume that businesses will invest in their own charging stations as a way to lure folks into restaurants and shopper centers.

Congrats. But I would not have have paid more than $2k than the prices listed(error or not). They were really good but now just good if it’s a compromise.

Also you have to factor in $1875 federal credit + state incentive if any on new vehicle purchase.

If you are patient you can squeeze a seller who wants to really sell. These will be dumped in market once Model Y comes along. As much as Elon thinks these are appreciating assets with FSD, they really are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: byeLT4