Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas now 1 year / 10k mile warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've owned our 2014 model S for somewhat over 4 years now. we bought it third party so didn't have their CPO warranty, but did have some of the original warranty. Frankly, Tesla has been pretty good about covering things. I've got over 220,000 miles on the car, and still got a comped air suspension pump last time I had it in for service. (apparently it was an old style that they had been updating but somehow my vehicle got missed) but I do think service is abysmal compared to what it was before. But I thought it was an exceptional before.

I think the main reason that they've done this change is because they can't keep the crazy cars in stock. But I do think they went too far! They should have just dropped to a 2-year warranty, and maybe a 1 year for those with high mileage.

I'm also wondering if the possibility exists that they're about to do a price drop across the board for new cars. If they do that on the new cars then these used cars become even less valuable. Maybe prepping for that change?

as to pricing the used cars it is a calculated event. Automatically reducing over time. So, they just let it drop until the demand goes back up. if the cars do end up being 5,000 less, that might actually increase the sales of used vehicles. I've certainly not had 5,000 in repairs the entire time I've owned the car, even with the 220k miles.

I would have thought you'd drop the prices of the car at the time you drop the warranty duration. Otherwise you have people buying cars now at higher price with the reduced warranty. The prices haven't dropped enough (yet) to reflect this was their intention. Word or warning, I have been wrong before :)

I love our Teslas because of the powerful electric drives but the service and warranty is definitely not up to BMW standards. I have a few BMW’s as well as a few Teslas and the new BMW warranty is far better than Teslas. Bmw covers virtually any defect. Tesla doesn’t cover squeaks or rattles, wear to seats or trim and often says they can’t duplicate the issue. BMW always has quick availability of appointments and current year BMW loaners and really works hard to earn the business. We may just have an excellent dealer but we have had the same great service at a couple other BMW dealers.

Not my experience with BMW warranties as well. They actively try to not cover anything.

1. My BMW 5 series headrest leather peeled. Common problem due to low quality leather from what I googled. BMW told me not covered under warranty - If I want to fix it I will need to pay over $800 for the headrest + labour.
2. Had a low engine oil warning light turn on for some time but went away. Asked BMW to investigate before my warranty is up. They told me will have to charge me for investigation cost regardless if problem found or not.

Not my experience wit BMW at all. We had two and both were service nightmares with very expensive things that should have been covered but weren’t. My last words to the stealer were * you, I’m buying a Tesla for my next car. And I did. Never again, BMW. The cars appear to be made to survive no longer than the lease. My tow truck driver would just shake his head when he saw me... “BMW...”

Also we have gone 10 months with the Model S and 5 with the Model Y and no new tires due to blowouts or goose eggs. Remarkable.

lol exactly same experience, reason why I dumped by BMW 5 series for my model X.

Not my experience with BMW warranties as well. They actively try to not cover anything.

1. My BMW 5 series headrest leather peeled. Common problem due to low quality leather from what I googled. BMW told me not covered under warranty - If I want to fix it I will need to pay over $800 for the headrest + labour.
2. Had a low engine oil warning light turn on for some time but went away. Asked BMW to investigate before my warranty is up. They told me will have to charge me for investigation cost regardless if problem found or not.

lol exactly same experience, reason why I dumped by BMW 5 series for my model X.
Not sure who at the dealership is not doing their job and is against the dealership making a profit but a BMW factory dealer makes money by servicing cars and gets paid from BMW for repairing your car while under warranty. I’m not sure about your headrest claim but on several new BMW’s we had seats, door armrests, console lids, and headlights all changed while under original warranty (not extended). An OEM dealer gets reimbursed very well for warranty repairs so what you are saying doesn’t make much sense unless there is something more than what you are saying. Tesla on the other hand doesn’t profit at all from repairing their own cars and that is likely why they have such a horrible customer service reputation and regularly deny claims that are real defects by saying the can not duplicate the concern.

Reactions: ks1972
I would have thought you'd drop the prices of the car at the time you drop the warranty duration. Otherwise you have people buying cars now at higher price with the reduced warranty. The prices haven't dropped enough (yet) to reflect this was their intention. Word or warning, I have been wrong before :)

I'm certainly with you on that been wrong before thing! Tesla lets the price find its own way by having an automatic system that reduces prices over time and mileage. I think that's their preferred method of figuring out how much they can sell their used cars for! But, mostly they want to sell new cars, can hardly blame them for that.

Reactions: N8Howell33