Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Teslas now 1 year / 10k mile warranties

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been pretty actively looking at the CPO Model S while waiting for my Cybertruck. But with this warranty change they're way less attractive, especially since the prices have stayed essentially the same. Maybe an entry level Model 3 for a stopgap. Personally wish they would make a standard range AWD and just drop the RWD variant. After having a Subaru I don't want to downgrade to 2WD.
Have you had a Tesla before? RWD is different in a Tesla than it is in any other car. I just sold a RWD model 3 that I had almost 3 years and never had an issue. Just purchased a RWD model S as honestly unless you're in heavy winter conditions the increased weight and low center of gravity it's less of an issue. I totally agree about the change in warranty, I bought used from Tesla monday and get the older warranty. Prices aren't changed at all despite the warranty change.

I doubt this.

It’s flagrantly illegal and simple for anyone to prove the warranty terms that existed when they originally purchased the car.
For any other company I completely agree. However given Tesla history, this would not be unprecedented. People getting warranty coverage and benefits answers based purely on the most recent policy rather than warranty policy at the time of purchase has happened many times with Tesla. Sure, if you have saved the old documents, and have the time to argue with them, or to hire a lawyer, you might prevail in the end, but sometimes that means your car is not fixed for a while while you are straightening it out.

The problem, whether by design or just Elon's incompetence (yes, he is the VP of service too, so blame falls on him) is that the way Tesla designs their software for service centers (and customers) is that there is no version control of documentation or even configuration fields - SC's often only see the latest version so that is the only thing they can go by. You really can't blame a service person for it, they possibly didn't even know Tesla existed when you bought your car, there is no way they know all historical versions of Tesla warranties, assurances, etc. Tesla also doesn't communicate well to their SC's about any changes (service people don't spend their lives on TMC or following Elon's Twitter) to that creates even more confusion. They haven't even been able to get pricing consistent across US service centers, though that might be by design (price your service based on what you think the customer can afford, therefore maximize profits?).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: TimT and davidc18
Have you had a Tesla before? RWD is different in a Tesla than it is in any other car. I just sold a RWD model 3 that I had almost 3 years and never had an issue. Just purchased a RWD model S as honestly unless you're in heavy winter conditions the increased weight and low center of gravity it's less of an issue. I totally agree about the change in warranty, I bought used from Tesla monday and get the older warranty. Prices aren't changed at all despite the warranty change.
Thanks for the reply. I live in mid rural Minnesnowta. I've wondered about how effective the Tesla RWD is compared to ICE cars. The Subaru AWD is so superior to ICE FWD or RWD in snow country that it would be hard to go back. The Cybertruck I preordered was the 2 motor version. Stainless steel body will be nice here as everything rusts out due to heavy salt use. The other option is just to hang on to the Forester until the Cybertruck. At least I reserved on late day 1...

Reactions: N8Howell33
Other CPO programs gave you 4 years and 50k mile warranties without having to purchase the extended warranty? That hasn’t been my experience.

I recall getting a 50k mile warranty included when we bought a CPO Audi years ago, so I assumed it was a fairly standard number in the luxury market. Looks like today, the CPO trend is unlimited mile warranties tied to the original in service date of the car.

I've been pretty actively looking at the CPO Model S while waiting for my Cybertruck. But with this warranty change they're way less attractive, especially since the prices have stayed essentially the same. Maybe an entry level Model 3 for a stopgap. Personally wish they would make a standard range AWD and just drop the RWD variant. After having a Subaru I don't want to downgrade to 2WD.
Test drive a RWD Tesla before you form an opinion. EV's advantage over ICE cars is that they can instantaneously control torque (can't be done in ICE engine, need to speed up or slow down the flywheel first). This results in great handling in slippery situations. Yes, there are rare occasion where you're stuck and only AWD will get you out, but just driving in the snow feels fairly close to AWD vehicles. I went from AWD ICE to RWD Model S for a while and was presently surprised on few occasions when I was driving through heavy snow - the Model S behaved almost the same as my Lexus RX. The only issue I found is that regen in really slippery situations caused the back end to loose traction, so had to turn it off manually - that might not be a problem anymore since it's been years since I drove RWD Tesla and they improve their algorithms over time, plus the new battery management might limit your regen when it gets chilly anyways (I know even my current AWD Teslas battery is so much more limited in cold weather than the old Teslas uses to be).

Reactions: henderrj
I recall getting a 50k mile warranty included when we bought a CPO Audi years ago, so I assumed it was a fairly standard number in the luxury market. Looks like today, the CPO trend is unlimited mile warranties tied to the original in service date of the car.
Tesla doesn't care much what others do. They've enjoyed their "only game in town for good EV" status for a while and make adjustments to suit their goals. Their latest goal is profit, so they are obviously anything which costs money is a primary candidate for the chopping block. Someone probably looked at the warranty costs and decided cutting them will make a meaningful contribution to Tesla's bottom line.

Of course their "only game in town" advantage will only last for so long. Competition is already biting at their heels. Once people have better alternatives, they will have to change or will start losing more and more market share.

Test drive a RWD Tesla before you form an opinion. EV's advantage over ICE cars is that they can instantaneously control torque (can't be done in ICE engine, need to speed up or slow down the flywheel first). This results in great handling in slippery situations. Yes, there are rare occasion where you're stuck and only AWD will get you out, but just driving in the snow feels fairly close to AWD vehicles. I went from AWD ICE to RWD Model S for a while and was presently surprised on few occasions when I was driving through heavy snow - the Model S behaved almost the same as my Lexus RX. The only issue I found is that regen in really slippery situations caused the back end to loose traction, so had to turn it off manually - that might not be a problem anymore since it's been years since I drove RWD Tesla and they improve their algorithms over time, plus the new battery management might limit your regen when it gets chilly anyways (I know even my current AWD Teslas battery is so much more limited in cold weather than the old Teslas uses to be).
Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll schedule a drive in a RWD Model 3 once the snow flies. Actually we had snow yesterday but it didn't stick. I know that it also makes a big difference that the undercarriage of the Tesla is smooth. Story: We bought 2 new Hondas in 1989, one was a CRX HF and the other a Civic hatchback. Turns out that even with the CRX being lower it was far FAR better in the snow. Finally figured out that it was due to the full aero under-skirting of the CRX and it's low front bumper skirt. The front bumper plowed the deep snow so that the car never hung up (also due to the smooth bottom). Sold the Civic, bought a 2nd new CRX HF in 1991 and we put 375k miles on the two before we sold them. Had several Hondas since then but none as good for snow. The Forester is better though.

Reactions: N8Howell33
Still not sure competition is that close....
Supercharging is pretty hard to beat.

Electrify America Shuts Down 500-Mile Charging Corridor Over Labor Day

Stupidity prevails amongst the "competition". VW group is the only serious competition and they own Electrify America. EA is also the only reasonable competition to supercharging.

That being said, it is absolutely fair game to be critical of Tesla's changes. They have nearly all been negative when it comes to customer service. So if a 2015 purchaser (ie me) got loaners - generally of better spec than he had, and now he can't even get someone on the phone, that person has been downgraded. No reasonable person would be happy about that. If that same person charges at supercharging at 30% reduced speed despite being an infrequent supercharger, he has been downgraded.

I didn't purchase an $80k car to not have someone pick up the phone (or reply to text/email) when I have a problem. That is Tesla's problem to own.

The competition in the used car market for expensive cars sold at the same location as new is CPO. That comes with a generous warranty. It is done by legacy companies probably to prop up resale values and residuals to make leasing more attractive. It is a long game that Tesla doesn't want to play. Fair business decision and hurts me personally very minimally (does reduce resale price a small amount for everyone).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
In May, I purchased a used 2016 MS with 45,000 miles from Carvana. When I discovered that I would soon be out of warranty, I called them about purchasing extended warranty, not available on Tesla.

I canceled that order and purchased one from Tesla with 42,000 miles AND the 4 year warranty. About same price as Carvana. Thought I got a great deal.

Taking away the 4 year warranty is a deal breaker for me. Will not own a Tesla without a warranty.

Will take my business elsewhere next time, and buy the X-Care extended warranty.

i just purchased my Tesla 1 month ago to be exact and at that time it was 4years/50k. i asked for documentations in writing but i was refused during the pickup and was told the initial email i received has a link to documentation...i got lazy and didnt download...just now i read this post and panicked so went back to email and tried to access the link and guess what..it was dead....i then started looking at my texts from used car sales department where i asked them top provide me something in writing and they had sent me an email which resembles another email which i received right after i booked the vehicle...it says

Congratulations and thank you for placing an order for a used Tesla............
bunch of other stuff including the attachment of carfax and the warrenty information attached document.

SAVE THAT EMAIL IF YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR INBOX!!!!

i just purchased my Tesla 1 month ago to be exact and at that time it was 4years/50k. i asked for documentations in writing but i was refused during the pickup and was told the initial email i received has a link to documentation...i got lazy and didnt download...just now i read this post and panicked so went back to email and tried to access the link and guess what..it was dead....i then started looking at my texts from used car sales department where i asked them top provide me something in writing and they had sent me an email which resembles another email which i received right after i booked the vehicle...it says

Congratulations and thank you for placing an order for a used Tesla............
bunch of other stuff including the attachment of carfax and the warrenty information attached document.

SAVE THAT EMAIL IF YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR INBOX!!!!
Linked earlier in this thread:
Used Teslas now 1 year / 10k mile warranties

Thanks for the reply. I live in mid rural Minnesnowta. I've wondered about how effective the Tesla RWD is compared to ICE cars. The Subaru AWD is so superior to ICE FWD or RWD in snow country that it would be hard to go back. The Cybertruck I preordered was the 2 motor version. Stainless steel body will be nice here as everything rusts out due to heavy salt use. The other option is just to hang on to the Forester until the Cybertruck. At least I reserved on late day 1...
I've got four mountain winters on my RWD S and it works fine on snow so long as I use snow tires (Michelin X-Ice). With regular tires I had trouble getting up my steep curved driveway and had to use chains. The combination of modern snow tires, modern traction control and anti-lock braking makes for a pretty good car on snow and ice.

As you likely know, the real safety issue with snow is stopping. AWD won't help with that. Sometimes on my snowpacked cul-de-sac I will get up some speed and slam on the brakes just to see what happens — the car stops absolutely dead straight ever time! Where AWD helps is getting going in slick conditions. RWD plus snow tires plus modern traction control is plenty good enough for that under most conditions. If you insist on NOT using snow tires, then AWD will help some versus RWD when getting going. But regular tires aren't as safe when it comes to stopping.

My 2¢, FWIW.

Looks to me like Tesla is bringing their used car warranty in line with others.

BMW Certified: Covers you for 1 year with unlimited vehicle miles, after the expiration of the 4-year / 50,000 mile New Vehicle Limited Warranty for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks (Valid only in the U.S.A. including Puerto Rico) for a total of 5 years / Unlimited vehicle miles. 5 years of BMW Roadside Assistance is included. Additional plans are available to extend your vehicle’s coverage up to a total of 6 years with unlimited miles. (source: BMW Certified Warranty – BMW Certified Pre-Owned Vehicles)

Don't miss the not covered page -

WHAT IS NOT COVERED

The BMW Certified Pre-Owned Protection Plan provides specific coverage against defects in materials and workmanship. There are various items that are not covered by this warranty for enrolled vehicles retailed on or after September 1, 2017.

Vehicle Maintenance

Brake pads and rotors (discs), brake shoes and drums; filters; fluid replacement of a component by itself; scheduled maintenance services; spark plugs; wiper blade inserts, blade assemblies/beams.

Upkeep

Adjustments; batteries (as a stand-alone repair); driveshaft flex disc (guibo coupling); engine drive belts; exhaust systems (including the gasoline engine catalytic converters, and the diesel engine “SCR” catalytic converter and particulate filter); flywheel, ring gear and clutch disc contact area; fuses; manual and “SMG” transmission clutch assemblies; oils, lubricants, fluids, refrigerants and coolant (except as required in the course of performing a covered repair); rubber engine and heater coolant hoses, vacuum hoses (including clamps and connectors); tires; tire balancing and rotation; wheel alignment.

Suspension

Ball joints; bushings; center tie rod; coil springs – sagging (except for leveling system pneumatic/hydraulic springs); control arms and brackets; idler and pitman arms; stabilizer bar links and supports; strut elements/shock absorbers (dampers); tie rod ends and adjusting sleeves; trailing arms, thrust struts; wishbones.

Body

Air leaks; body carriers, cross members, supports, braces and mounts; body panels, body shell, walls, partitions and chassis sheet metal; body noises, squeaks and rattles; body seals and gaskets; bulbs - incandescent, Xenon and LEDs; convertible top (except for electrical/electronic components); damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination; door brakes and checks; door handles and carriers (except for electrical/electronic components); exterior moulding, trim and fasteners; gas pressurized springs/struts; glass - side, sliding roof, rear and mirrors (except for electrical/electronic components); latch and lock mechanisms and their related components (except for electrical/electronic components); paint finish; water leaks; wheels and valve stems (except for electrical/electronic components); windscreen (including the sliding roof); windshield (except for the front rain sensor); wind noises.

Interior

Bulbs – incandescent and LEDs (except for the instrument cluster); carpeting; floor and trunk mats; headliner/sliding roof liner panel; interior noises, squeaks and rattles; interior dashboards, consoles, panels, covers, vents, grills, trims and fasteners (except cup holders); seatbelt extender arm assembly (except for electrical/electronic components); sunblinds (except for electrical/electronic components); sun visors (except for electrical/electronic components); upholstery (except for seat heating elements and seat occupancy sensor mat).

Accessories (Standard and Optional)

All non-original equipment parts, components and accessories.

I worked for BMW for many years. I left in 2008, but back then a CPO car was reconditioned to like new condition and carried and additional 2 years and an addition 50,000 miles of warranty from the original in service date. This means a CPO car carried a total of 6 years and 100,000 miles from when it was sold new.

Interesting, if you buy a barely-used car you get effectively 5 years of warranty

View attachment 599227

So it's the minimum of (original warranty + 1 year) or (1 year).
Better than a new warranty but without knowing the actual in service date it may have already been in service for close to a year. If so it might only be just a bit better, still a good deal as long as it has no damage which they don’t let you see first which is the sketchy part of their used cars.