Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

using a waxer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI everyone. Going to be washing my Tesla for the first time and I wanted to give her a good waxing. Normally before I would hand wax my car and that would literally take hours. I wanted to see if anybody ever had any experience with an automatic waxer?

Black & Decker WP900 6-Inch Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher - Power Polishing Tools - Amazon.com

I've been hearing that the paint on Tesla is a lot softer than regular cars so I am a little worried before using this.

I'm going through the same info. Such as dual action waxer/polisher so you don't do too much to one spot and start to scrub through the paint.

Scratch remover also, my black paint really shows up the most minor of light scratching.

Getting the dirt off and to not leave some form of fine swirls is quite the task

I spent 5-6 hours last weekend on the first round of cleaning, drying, using Carnauba wax, two bucket, loads of cloths, small spray bottles and all sorts, looked good enough to eat of and the glass sheen.

Rained all week lasted about half a day :-(

I also am now cleaning the car exterior and paying a local car cleaning company about $15 to hoover and clean the interior and the sills on the inside, door plates etc. Works for me.

HI everyone. Going to be washing my Tesla for the first time and I wanted to give her a good waxing. Normally before I would hand wax my car and that would literally take hours. I wanted to see if anybody ever had any experience with an automatic waxer?

Black & Decker WP900 6-Inch Random Orbit Waxer/Polisher - Power Polishing Tools - Amazon.com

I've been hearing that the paint on Tesla is a lot softer than regular cars so I am a little worried before using this.

Boy, unless you are a good detailer or have had practice, I would never use a 'power tool' on my car. Too easy to burn/cut the paint, too easy even with a random orbital to get swirl marks. Consider a consult with a good professional detailer, and also consider applying an aftermarket coating like cQuartz or OptiCoat Pro. Then no need for polishing, buffing or waxing.

Maybe search these forums for way too much info on paint, washing/waxing, etc.

Random orbit waxers are designed for the non professional who does not want to risk burning or rubbing through his paint.

They really do a great job, while taking out much of the elbow grease needed to wax your car.

Most use them only to apply polish or wax, while removing the film with a clean micro fiber cloth after it has set for a bit.

Many recommend first washing the car, then going over the paint with a clay bar to remove any contaminates. This nicely prepares the surface for it's first coat of polish or wax. Clay looks like childrens modeling clay, but really is a special mixture that really primes the surface for wax. Best to use it with detail spray to provide a lubricant to allow the clay to smoothly float over the surface.

Look at Griots.com. You can't damage the paint with their type of polisher. I have used it for years with no issues to apply polish. However, for wax I like to use P21S carnuba wax. When you apply it, you don't let it dry. Wipe it off while it is still moist. Very easy to apply and remove.

If you really want to learn how to detail your car, check out The Chemical Guys. They have a full line of car products and are down in Orange County. You can sign up for a detailing workshop and they will show you how to do all the steps. They also have a number of YouTube videos that you can watch.

If you really want to learn how to detail your car, check out The Chemical Guys. They have a full line of car products and are down in Orange County. You can sign up for a detailing workshop and they will show you how to do all the steps. They also have a number of YouTube videos that you can watch.

Thanks for the recommendation. Actually I am not really looking for detailing but actually trying to find an easy way to wax the car. I thought the machine would help and save my hands but it might be too dangerous for the paint.

Thanks for the recommendation. Actually I am not really looking for detailing but actually trying to find an easy way to wax the car. I thought the machine would help and save my hands but it might be too dangerous for the paint.

I will have had my car three years on March 7. When I first got it, I didn't wax it, but "glass" coated it with this...

And I've re-applied it every 6 months since. It gives a hard glass-like coating over the soft paint and is so much easier than waxing. There's no swirl marks -- just a great shine. It's more expensive than wax but much cheaper than a wrap and worth every penny to me. My car still looks brand new. I bought it here but you can find it different places online:

22ple VX Pro Glass Coating - 50 ml | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

Reactions: avesraggiana
I will have had my car three years on March 7. When I first got it, I didn't wax it, but "glass" coated it with this...

And I've re-applied it every 6 months since. It gives a hard glass-like coating over the soft paint and is so much easier than waxing. There's no swirl marks -- just a great shine. It's more expensive than wax but much cheaper than a wrap and worth every penny to me. My car still looks brand new. I bought it here but you can find it different places online:

Can this stuff be used on glass, light covers, and rubber or plastic trim pieces?

Done hand polish and wax just now on UK time. Man Utd v Bournemouth coming up on the TV.

Am I the only one that is taking this washing and looking after this car way too seriously? All my previous cars, including some decent exotic stuff, I couldn't have given two hoots, but this new shape Model S I'm loosing the plot doing the weekend wash routine :)

Reactions: avesraggiana

Canuck, I started using 22ple three years ago and swear by it too. Because it's a glass coating, it works especially well on white colored cars which are notoriously difficult to achieve that 'candied wet look'.

Reactions: Canuck