Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Cargo Carrier and SUV tent for camping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottf200

Feb 3, 2013
Chicagoland
I've been trying to think of an easier way to camp in the Model X.

Here is the idea I have and would use if I could get the HVAC to stay on while charging at a campground (ie. noone in front seat).

Use this cargo carrier that set at a 45ish degree setting vs 90 or 0. Carry plywood perfectly fit in that carrier to extend the "bed" floor of the Model X.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QEKG8C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RA9SXXTGVE9R

Then use a SUV tent extender like the DAC DA1 Minivan & SUV Tent

Link: DAC DA1 Minivan & SUV Tent | SUV Truck Tent | LakelandGear.com - Truck Cap Tents
or this link: https://www.campmor.com/c/dac-explorer-2---minivan-and-sport-utility-vehicle-tent-20747
xSwZ5iU.png

e4mtjEh.png

Or use the SUV "hut:
Link: Hatch Hut

dRVF4mL.png

I bought the cargo carrier because even if I don't use it for roadtrips/camping I have other uses.

Here are some **TEST* photos that just show proof of concept.
asd
QwBb2xX.png

k1YCRiX.png

A7FSJGE.png

Last edited:
scottf200, there may be a simple way to keep the A/C on over night. Have you tried the app on iOS called Remote S?
Install it, then after you open it and log on, press the title on the main page where it shows the front of a car and "Remote S"
This takes you to a more detailed page in the app. Scroll down to "Turn Camp Mode on" and try that.

Let us know if it works on your X, please.

scottf200, there may be a simple way to keep the A/C on over night. Have you tried the app on iOS called Remote S?
Install it, then after you open it and log on, press the title on the main page where it shows the front of a car and "Remote S"
This takes you to a more detailed page in the app. Scroll down to "Turn Camp Mode on" and try that.

Let us know if it works on your X, please.
I would love that and I've seen it referenced several times. I would gladly pay $10 for it. However I'm an Android user. I even considered buying an old iphone or ipad off ebay or somewhere to use Remote S. Not sure how old of device or ios it supports tho.

Remote S link: Remote S for Tesla on the App Store

Last edited:
For an X I would go with one of these: James Baroud Rooftop and Off-Road Tents
Thanks. Those are cool. I've looked at various solutions and tents like those. I would do that if I was driving my old Ford Expedition.

However, I wanted something that works with the Falcon Wing doors AND does not impact my range. A roof top addition no doubt would drop the range 'a lot'.

I was also thinking of something quick to setup and take down. I would primarily use this on roadtrips if I was traveling with myself. My wife is not that trilled with camping anymore. We did that with our kids :) (In the rain, heat, etc, etc)

Last edited:
We modified a 4-person tent as shown below:
20160625_213007.jpg

The problem is that at 6' 2" I stick out the back. We also have to find a solution for filling the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seats. We also found it snug side-to-side for two full sized adults.

Lastly, the car kept waking up and the light in the tail-gate would come on every 15 minutes or so. We didn't sleep well that night!

We modified a 4-person tent as shown below: <snip>
The problem is that at 6' 2" I stick out the back. We also have to find a solution for filling the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seats. We also found it snug side-to-side for two full sized adults.

Lastly, the car kept waking up and the light in the tail-gate would come on every 15 minutes or so. We didn't sleep well that night!
And this 6'3" measurement was with the 2nd row all the way back (i.e. not pushed forward).
QwBb2xX.png

I would love that and I've seen it referenced several times. I would gladly pay $10 for it. However I'm an Android user. I even considered buying an old iphone or ipad off ebay or somewhere to use Remote S. Not sure how old of device or ios it supports tho.

Remote S link: Remote S for Tesla on the App Store
You should be able to reach up from your makeshift bed and touch the screen. Does that not keep the car awake indefinitely?

What about using climate control from the Tesla app?

I've not used either for more than ten mins so I assume there are some issues here that I'm unaware of.

You should be able to reach up from your makeshift bed and touch the screen. Does that not keep the car awake indefinitely?

What about using climate control from the Tesla app?

I've not used either for more than ten mins so I assume there are some issues here that I'm unaware of.
Here is the description from the link I provided. I'm not waking up every 30 minutes to turn on the A/C. Since you can't charge while in N (i.e. not Drive) then you can't use the E-Brake 'camp mode' trick. If I'm going to stay at a campground I would want to charge not just sleep. I did it once from the front seat and that was not a good nights rest at all. I dialed down the amps until the finish time was 8am when I was going to leave so it would be at 100% at that time.

- Camp Mode allows you to keep the HVAC on in the car even though there is no activity. Normally, the car will turn off HVAC after 30 minutes.

And now that issue is solved with the latest firmware release. See Camper Mode release notes
Did you make any more progress with your project?

Re: Progress -- I'm afraid not. Had a serious accident in early June when my son and I were on the way home from a long roadtrip (IL to Custer,SD Tesla meetup, then to MT, and back). See My experience with Tesla Model X safety
Still working through an eye problem. Anyway the medical bills have settled down some, car insurance worked out, and I was thinking/hoping of ordering an X by the end of the year to get the latest hardware (2.5+) and lifetime supercharging. Argh to possible loosing the tax credit.

Really liked the 6 seater (cooler between seats in 2nd row) but considering the 7 seater if I ever stay in the vehicle while road tripping by myself (if my wife lets me :O ). In the past I mainly traveled with another person, either one of the kids or the wife.

Aside: An Android app -- Dashboard for Tesla came out that had a camper mode (keep HVAC on). New info from earlier up thread Model S Apple only app.

Used tent and it worked great. Charged all night at 30 amps and run AC at 21 C with a fan on the armrest to push air into tent. Woke up to a car charged to 90% and ac ran all night. We locked car by using a screw driver to trick hatch back it was closed and locked with key fob so car was dark and screen was off thanks to camper mode.
21DA5FF0-A076-4C07-9C8B-8C6954C8FBB4.jpeg

This is very interesting idea. Did you achieve space extension with the cargo carrier and plywood?
It definitely looked like it would've work. See my Nov 4, 2017 above tho.

I did end up getting another Model X in Dec 2017. Below is what I ended up doing when I traveled solo. I have a fridge between the captain's chairs in the 2nd row so that is where I put my feet/legs. I can look out the hatch window at the stars and use my phone to change the HVAC.

w0difnI.jpg