TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Using Cargo Carrier and SUV tent for camping?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by scottf200, Aug 18, 2016.

1. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#1 scottf200, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    I've been trying to think of an easier way to camp in the Model X.

Here is the idea I have and would use if I could get the HVAC to stay on while charging at a campground (ie. noone in front seat).

Use this cargo carrier that set at a 45ish degree setting vs 90 or 0. Carry plywood perfectly fit in that carrier to extend the "bed" floor of the Model X.
    Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QEKG8C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2RA9SXXTGVE9R

Then use a SUV tent extender like the DAC DA1 Minivan & SUV Tent

Link: DAC DA1 Minivan & SUV Tent | SUV Truck Tent | LakelandGear.com - Truck Cap Tents
    or this link: https://www.campmor.com/c/dac-explorer-2---minivan-and-sport-utility-vehicle-tent-20747
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Or use the SUV "hut:
    Link: Hatch Hut

[​IMG]

I bought the cargo carrier because even if I don't use it for roadtrips/camping I have other uses.

Here are some **TEST* photos that just show proof of concept.
    asd
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like x 1
  2. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

scottf200, there may be a simple way to keep the A/C on over night. Have you tried the app on iOS called Remote S?
    Install it, then after you open it and log on, press the title on the main page where it shows the front of a car and "Remote S"
    This takes you to a more detailed page in the app. Scroll down to "Turn Camp Mode on" and try that.

Let us know if it works on your X, please.

4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

5. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

6. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#6 scottf200, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    I would love that and I've seen it referenced several times. I would gladly pay $10 for it. However I'm an Android user. I even considered buying an old iphone or ipad off ebay or somewhere to use Remote S. Not sure how old of device or ios it supports tho.

Remote S link: Remote S for Tesla on the App Store

7. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

#7 scottf200, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    Thanks. Those are cool. I've looked at various solutions and tents like those. I would do that if I was driving my old Ford Expedition.

However, I wanted something that works with the Falcon Wing doors AND does not impact my range. A roof top addition no doubt would drop the range 'a lot'.

I was also thinking of something quick to setup and take down. I would primarily use this on roadtrips if I was traveling with myself. My wife is not that trilled with camping anymore. We did that with our kids :) (In the rain, heat, etc, etc)

8. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Interesting concept. It probably has potential...

I'll be watching to see how it develops... :)

9. Phil Seastrand

We modified a 4-person tent as shown below: 20160625_213007.jpg
    The problem is that at 6' 2" I stick out the back. We also have to find a solution for filling the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seats. We also found it snug side-to-side for two full sized adults.

Lastly, the car kept waking up and the light in the tail-gate would come on every 15 minutes or so. We didn't sleep well that night!

10. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

And this 6'3" measurement was with the 2nd row all the way back (i.e. not pushed forward).
    [​IMG]

11. TacC

TacC Member

You should be able to reach up from your makeshift bed and touch the screen. Does that not keep the car awake indefinitely?

What about using climate control from the Tesla app?

I've not used either for more than ten mins so I assume there are some issues here that I'm unaware of.

12. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

Here is the description from the link I provided. I'm not waking up every 30 minutes to turn on the A/C. Since you can't charge while in N (i.e. not Drive) then you can't use the E-Brake 'camp mode' trick. If I'm going to stay at a campground I would want to charge not just sleep. I did it once from the front seat and that was not a good nights rest at all. I dialed down the amps until the finish time was 8am when I was going to leave so it would be at 100% at that time.