Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Carvana to Trade-In, thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I absolutely loved the convenience of selling my car to Carvana. Tesla offered $10.6K, Carvana came in at $13.5K, a few hundred bucks over KBB average... The appointment was super easy as well. Easiest online car transaction ever...

Selling my 10-year old Toyota Prius (with almost 175K miles). Carmax offered $3,500 but Vroom offered $3,775 (Carvana was below $3K). Do you all think the extra $225 is worth the hassle of selling to Vroom, or should I just go with Carmax?
why do you think selling to Vroom is a hassle? I used Carvana, and they literally come to your doorstep to get your carr off your hands... They pay you on the spot, or you can have them wire it same day... Granted, I don't know how Vroom is...

Before I went the route of private selling my car, I did the following.

1) Got quotes from Vroom, Carmax, Carvana. All low balls for the car
2) Got quotes from 8 physical dealerships in the area. Low ball quotes

I put the car up on CarGurus a little more than a month ago and got a lot of interest. Some low balls and then quite a few that offered my ask price. I also posted it on Autotraders and again got a ton of interest, but surprising, only a couple of offers.
I ultimately sold the car from the CarGurus site for my asking price. The only thing to watch here is that if your state doesn't allow some of the conditions they require (ie electronic bill of sale, etc), you might not be able to complete the sale totally through their site (ie automated escrow/payment and title transfer)

why do you think selling to Vroom is a hassle? I used Carvana, and they literally come to your doorstep to get your car off your hands... They pay you on the spot, or you can have them wire it same day... Granted, I don't know how Vroom is...
I just sold my 2017 Bolt to Vroom because they offered $3K more than Carvana and Carmax.
Here's how Vroom works:

1) Once you accept their offer, they email you DocuSign forms to sign and email back along with a FedEx label for you to send your title to their HQ in Houston, the email takes two days to get sent out to you.
2) Once they get your title in Houston, you wait a few days till a motor carrier gets assigned.
3) Once the carrier is assigned, it has to go through their logistics to schedule a pickup, a few more days wait.
4) Once your car is picked up and mileage verified, they take your car.
5) 2-3 Business days later you get a check from them via FedEx.

14 days start to finish with Vroom: Signed & returned Title and agreement 7/21, car picked up 8/1, check received 8/4. Certainly not as fast and easy as Carvana and Carmax, but if Vroom offers you considerably more that the others, it's worth a little inconvenience.

They also don't have their own fancy pickup/transport vehicles like Carmax or Carvana... they contract out to outside contractors.

Going 1.jpg

Reactions: Mooroo
why do you think selling to Vroom is a hassle? I used Carvana, and they literally come to your doorstep to get your carr off your hands... They pay you on the spot, or you can have them wire it same day... Granted, I don't know how Vroom is...
I just sold my 2017 Bolt to Vroom because they offered $3K more than Carvana and Carmax.
Here's how Vroom works:

1) Once you accept their offer, they email you DocuSign forms to sign and email back along with a FedEx label for you to send your title to their HQ in Houston, the email takes two days to get sent out to you.
2) Once they get your title in Houston, you wait a few days till a motor carrier gets assigned.
3) Once the carrier is assigned, it has to go through their logistics to schedule a pickup, a few more days wait.
4) Once your car is picked up and mileage verified, they take your car.
5) 2-3 Business days later you get a check from them via FedEx.

14 days start to finish with Vroom: Signed & returned Title and agreement 7/21, car picked up 8/1, check received 8/4. Certainly not as fast and easy as Carvana and Carmax, but if Vroom offers you considerably more that the others, it's worth a little inconvenience.

They also don't have their own fancy pickup/transport vehicles like Carmax or Carvana... they contract out to outside contractors.

View attachment 578309

@Mooroo, it just felt like Vroom made me jump through a number of hoops to sell them my car, as @NY_Rob detailed in his post. Also, in my case, I received the Fedex label e-mail, but I never received the docusign e-mails. I ultimately decided it was just easier to sell it to Carmax, even if it offered me $225 less. Made an appointment, gave them the title and keys, and I received my check that day.

@Mooroo, it just felt like Vroom made me jump through a number of hoops to sell them my car, as @NY_Rob detailed in his post. Also, in my case, I received the Fedex label e-mail, but I never received the docusign e-mails. I ultimately decided it was just easier to sell it to Carmax, even if it offered me $225 less. Made an appointment, gave them the title and keys, and I received my check that day.
Yeah vroom definitely doesn’t sound anything like carvana In terms of its convenience. Carvana is as good as Carmax, except better since they come right to your door and they wire payment directly to your account.

I wish I had seen this thread sooner! We sold our 2015 Toyota Venza to Carmax to prepare for our Y. Regular dealer lowballed us, Carmax was about 2k better. Now I wish I had thought of Carvana and Vroom. Good to know for the future. Thanks all for details on your experiences. :)