Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using phone as a key. Not a good idea.

Would you rather have a regular key fob than have to use your phone all the time?

• Yes I want to have a key fob.

Votes: 92 44.9%
  • No I don't want a key fob.

Votes: 113 55.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This.

I initially voted for a fob. But then i realized I'd probably just use the key card, so i changed my answer to no.

If you are going to carry a fob in your pocket, a card isn't much different.

Quick question though: what if I'm coming from the store and want to put my items in the trunk/frunk? How does one go about opening those?

1. Remove card (or the whole wallet if you have an regular non-RFID wallet) from pocket
  2. Walk to driver's side B-pillar
  3. Tap/wave card at B-pillar
  4. Walk back to trunk to open
  5. If opening frunk, get into car, reach in to tap screen to release frunk latch, then walk to frunk to open.
vs. key fob: walk to trunk and push trunk release to open, or press key fob button to open trunk/frunk.

Which sounds easier to you?

1. Remove fob from pocket
  2. Walk to driver's side B-pillar
  3. Tap/wave card at B-pillar
  4. Walk back to trunk to open
  5. If opening frunk, get into car, reach in to tap screen to release frunk latch, then walk to frunk to open
vs. key fob: walk to trunk and push trunk release to open, or press key fob button to open trunk/frunk.

Which sounds easier to you?

The frunk sounds exactly like how you would open a typical hood.

The trunk doesn't sound much different than pulling a fob out of your pocket/purse, waking towards your car and clicking it.

The frunk would admittedly be more functional if you didn't have to open it from inside though.

The people asking for a fob because they forget their keys or wallet might as well ask for a backup ICE engine because they might forget to charge the damn car.

Not having a fob is jarring at first, not unlike getting dropped into a foreign country and experiencing culture shock. Eventually you adapt. Some adapt slower than others or outright refuse to do so. This happens with every new tech. Sometimes you have to just deal with it.

The majority of people carry their phone/wallet with them everywhere. The phone as key works for those people (mostly, unless they are android users).

I have had my car for about two months and almost 4000 miles. I can count on one hand how many times the phone has failed me. On days it did, I simply opened the app on my phone when I was about to leave and left it running on the phone. It worked as designed. Amazing. Keycard stays in my wallet and I have used it only to test it.

The trunk doesn't sound much different than pulling a fob out of your pocket/purse, waking towards your car and clicking it.

Except that the actions are completely different. If you have a fob (or functional phone key), you could walk up to the trunk and open it. Maybe you click a trunk release button on the fob, or maybe the car senses proximity, whatever. If you only have the key card, you have to go to the driver's B-pillar to tap the card before you can open the trunk as there's no card reader at the trunk itself.

The people asking for a fob because they forget their keys or wallet might as well ask for a backup ICE engine because they might forget to charge the damn car.

That's not why the majority of people are asking for a fob though. I'm actually very happy with the way the phone key works--when it works. Obviously there are people who have the phone key working perfectly and just can't understand why it's frustrating to those of us that are having problems. That suggests it's completely possible to engineer a fob that can be just as reliable. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Except that the actions are completely different. If you have a fob (or functional phone key), you could walk up to the trunk and open it. Maybe you click a trunk release button on the fob, or maybe the car senses proximity, whatever. If you only have the key card, you have to go to the driver's B-pillar to tap the card before you can open the trunk as there's no card reader at the trunk itself.

Not completely different but whatever. Opening the trunk via a fob click is clearly easier, more functional.

Reactions: slipnslider
I understand that it is frustrating for those for whom the phone is not working reliably.
I suspect some, if not many of those would vote "fix the phone as key" rather than a fob.

However, that is not an option in this survey.
I like the fact I can disable a key, or create one at no cost. I could never do either with a fob.

Let us not forget that we are given a choice. A $5 card, and a free app for your phone.

Compare that to the old standard... A $300 FOB.

If you want something smaller than a card, it might be possible to trim the card down with scissors. I'm guessing there is just one small chip inside the card. Just have to know where to cut ----/----

Reactions: Pkmmte
Not having a fob is jarring at first, not unlike getting dropped into a foreign country and experiencing culture shock. Eventually you adapt. Some adapt slower than others or outright refuse to do so. This happens with every new tech. Sometimes you have to just deal with it.
Not having a fob is jarring only when the phone-as-key that was supposed to replace it fails.
Robin

Last edited:
I understand that some people really are having problems with the lack of key fob. But to say people who like the system, like myself, are deluded or hyped, is painting everyone with a fairly large brush. It really does work for me and some things are not ideal but honestly there are negatives to most design decisions and some will and some will not like those decisions. I can understand why some want a fob option and I think they should be able to get a fob. I actually like the lack of fob and think it is a step forward in progress for me.

Regardless this is the way the world is moving. I can now pay for my lunch with my phone after a run, I can start my chargepoint charge at work every day with my phone, I use my phone to check into hotel rooms. It is becoming everything I need to the point I won't need a wallet soon. I am happy that a car company is at least trying the approach and even though it has bugs I believe those can and will get worked out. And as long as they maintain support and use standard technologies to accomplish that I am not worried about lack of support for the lifetime of my car.

Is it though? I'll believe it when the flagship cars (Roadster, X and S) don't have Fobs or only have 1 display and limited physical controls/knobs/stalks. I may be wrong, but this looks more like design to fit a cheaper price than being "the future". I will admit I am wrong when the 2019 Roadster/X and S have the "future" "features" like the 3.

Is it though? I'll believe it when the flagship cars (Roadster, X and S) don't have Fobs or only have 1 display and limited physical controls/knobs/stalks. I may be wrong, but this looks more like design to fit a cheaper price than being "the future". I will admit I am wrong when the 2019 Roadster/X and S have the "future" "features" like the 3.

Elon already tweeted that they are turning on the phone key for the S/X in a firmware update. So it is coming. I would be really surprised if the next model S/X design still comes with a fob. Having a fob or not is a separate discussion from 1 or 2 displays. Each car's design language will decide those while a fob/or not has nothing to do with the design language of the car. Honestly fobs are not that expensive to make especially if they used the existing key from the S/X.

Reactions: Pkmmte
What do you carry?

Do you carry your money in your hands?
I am glad you asked. I carry my phone, and in the phone sleeve I can carry three credit card sized cards comfortably in which I have my driver's license, credit card, my health insurance card, and now I added this Tesla key card which is actually thinner than a regular credit card.

I do not ever carry cash. I have been like this for the last 4 years, and have traveled within US without any inconvenience.

Throw away that wallet. Try it, you will love it.

I am glad you asked. I carry my phone, and in the phone sleeve I can carry three credit card sized cards comfortably in which I have my driver's license, credit card, my health insurance card, and now I added this Tesla key card which is actually thinner than a regular credit card.

I do not ever carry cash. I have been like this for the last 4 years, and have traveled within US without any inconvenience.

Throw away that wallet. Try it, you will love it.

Maybe. Hmmmm. I carry cash because....... well lets not get into that. LOL