Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using the same key card for two different cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search and haven't seen the question here or in Model Y forum. Does anyone know if a key card can be programmed to work for two different cars? I would prefer to only have to carry one card for both cars. I assume since its the cars recognizing the frequency of the card and not the card doing any computing, that this could work. I asked the service center but who knows when they'll get back to me. Thought someone here might've tried this already.

Reactions: 3geekfamily
So how did you do that? I hope to have another Tesla by June 30. Linking both to the same keycard would be very convenient.
You just go into Controls/Locks/Add a New Key and follow the instructions

Think of it this way...

The keycard is just an RFID. You are telling the car (or in this case both cars) to accept that RFID as valid.

Theoretically there is no limit to the number of cars that a single keycard could be used for.

You just go into Controls/Locks/Add a New Key and follow the instructions

Think of it this way...

The keycard is just an RFID. You are telling the car (or in this case both cars) to accept that RFID as valid.

Theoretically there is no limit to the number of cars that a single keycard could be used for.
OK, So we have a Y and a New Refeshed S, both have 2 key cards. I programmed all 4 cards to work in the S, they I went and added them both to the Y. Now 2 work on the Y and none of the 4 work on the S. Are you sure your keys actually work, as I am wondering if programming it to the second car wipes out the access to the first car. How do you explain what happened in my case? Now I now have no key card to my S. Although they did give me to key fob remotes that I didn’t even activate as I didn’t plan to use them, but I may be able to use that to program back a couple key cards..

Last edited:
OK, So we have a Y and a New Refeshed S, both have 2 key cards. I programmed all 4 cards to work in the S, they I went and added them both to the Y. Now 2 work on the Y and none of the 4 work on the S. Are you sure your keys actually work, as I am wondering if programming it to the second car wipes out the access to the first car. How do you explain what happened in my case? Now I now have no key card to my S. Although they did give me to key fob remotes that I didn’t even activate as I didn’t plan to use them, but I may be able to use that to program back a couple key cards..

we have two 3s and 4 key cards. i programmed all 4 to both 3s. ymmv. Just checked and all the cards worked on "my" 3.

but mostly we (wife, daughter and I) use our phones.

sounds like a refresh S specific problem... which isn't great but I am sure service can correct for you.

Perhaps you should ask about this in the model S subforum, since multiple people say it works with model 3 / Y. Its entirely possible that it works with model 3/Y but not S/X for example.

Timely discussion, I just picked up a new Y 3 days ago and used one of the new cards to pair my phone, worked as advertise. Put Key Card in my wallet. Today I dropped off my car with my PPF guy 40 miles from home. Parked it in front of his shop, gave him my card. He had things to do so a few hours later he texts me saying my card isn’t working. So I had to do a remote UNLOCK/START so he could move my car inside for the night. It worked.

But odd the card didn’t work, I hadn’t tested it. Oh well *sugar* happens. But I just remember when we bought our 2020 Y 2 years ago I bought two spare key cards. So I can just take one and pair it to my new Y.

Do I need to repair my phone after that?