Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using TM-Spy for iOS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just joining the party here, Hoping you can help me log the max KW used by my car while accelerating. Is this built into the app already or something provided via the extra plots / recipe file you created @garygid ? Thanks for the help just ordered my cable and gained access to the app now.

Also I downloaded your recipes and attempted to install them via iTunes but every time I launch the app it creates a new 4kb default plots / recipe file I can't seem to get it to use your recipe file instead via the iTunes method each time it creates a new default file upon launching the app as show below picture taken after launching TM Spy.
Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 7.52.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that SOC UI as specified in @wk057 CAN decode document does not track with the SOC % displayed through the dash or mobile app?

At the high end, meaning above 95%, both variables match exactly. However, below 50% I often observe that the CAN message is 3-4% higher than what is displayed on the UI.

If I divide energy remaining over full pack energy I get a value that agrees with CAN SOC and not what is displayed on my dash.

To carify I am talking about socUI in message 0x0302

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that SOC UI as specified in @wk057 CAN decode document does not track with the SOC % displayed through the dash or mobile app?

At the high end, meaning above 95%, both variables match exactly. However, below 50% I often observe that the CAN message is 3-4% higher than what is displayed on the UI.

If I divide energy remaining over full pack energy I get a value that agrees with CAN SOC and not what is displayed on my dash.

To carify I am talking about socUI in message 0x0302

Tesla has changed the meaning of 0x302 at some point.

What used to be "socUI" is now "packSOE". I'm reasonably certain it now is more of the raw pack energy level, which would explain the UI vs CAN discrepancy. Internally this value is now described as follows: "BMS State Of Energy (SOE). This is nominal discharge energy from present state / nominal discharge energy from full."

Tesla has changed the meaning of 0x302 at some point.

What used to be "socUI" is now "packSOE". I'm reasonably certain it now is more of the raw pack energy level, which would explain the UI vs CAN discrepancy. Internally this value is now described as follows: "BMS State Of Energy (SOE). This is nominal discharge energy from present state / nominal discharge energy from full."

Did Tesla also change what was previously known as "socMin"? How is this value described?

Was this the same time they changed the frame length from 3 bytes to 8 bytes? Do we know what values are in the new bytes?

Reactions: apacheguy
Just joining the party. Got the beta app, looking for a dongle for my early 2016 90D non-refresh. Looking to purchase one already made. All i see on Panjo is for pre 2015. If anyone has one to sell, I'd be interested in purchasing ASAP! I'd like to incorporate some of these measurements into my range updates for my youtube channel I do every 1,000 miles, and I have a big road trip coming end of next week. Please PM Me!

No, just iOS. Yes, it has the bus communication lights. When I first plug it in, the green light blinks quite a bit, after a minute or so, it's more intermittent. I'll take a little video of it.

If it's getting power and you're seeing the bus communication light blinking, the device and cable should be fine. Can you see it when you scan for Bluetooth devices within iOS? Have you rebooted the phone, or maybe tried unpairing the phone from the car's telephony function?

If it's getting power and you're seeing the bus communication light blinking, the device and cable should be fine. Can you see it when you scan for Bluetooth devices within iOS? Have you rebooted the phone, or maybe tried unpairing the phone from the car's telephony function?
Does not show up in bluetooth devices, rebooted phone and ipad, I don't have my phone or ipad paired with the car, hate speakerphone..... But it was strange, left it today, came back and it worked flawlessly like before.... Can't understand it, only thing I can think of is something to do with the car. Maybe after the car went into a deep sleep mode and came back online it worked??? Hmmm.

Works fine again today. Must be a fluke. I'm going to see if it happens again if I leave the OBD device connected, if it does, maybe that is causing some issues.

Anyways, question for you all, the reported Pack capacity, Pack: 81, Remain 81.1
So is this use-able capacity? Or the total capacity? If total, it would explain a range loss of 14 miles, in fact, total capacity would mean I would have lost ~12 rated miles roughly.

Does not show up in bluetooth devices, rebooted phone and ipad, I don't have my phone or ipad paired with the car, hate speakerphone..... But it was strange, left it today, came back and it worked flawlessly like before.... Can't understand it, only thing I can think of is something to do with the car. Maybe after the car went into a deep sleep mode and came back online it worked??? Hmmm.

I have had problems with my car connecting reliably to my home Wi-Fi router. The last time I rebooted the main display and it connected. You might try a reboot if you have BT problems in the future.

I have had problems with my car connecting reliably to my home Wi-Fi router. The last time I rebooted the main display and it connected. You might try a reboot if you have BT problems in the future.
I think you missed what this thread is about ;-) This is about using a Bluetooth LE OBD device with a custom cable to access the cars CAN Bus. He was asking if I was connected to the car itself via bluetooth, I was not (And don't want to be)
Cheers!