Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using Waze On Tesla Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've heard they use basemaps from various sources. Likely same ones Google uses like OpenMaps, TomTom, I still see Nokia street mapping cars driving around here so maybe Nokia depending on region.

So rather than Waze using Google, Waze and Google draw from the same basemaps then do their own thing from there?
I have encountered a few proposed streets on Waze that were also in Google, but not in Apple, so that's why I thought they might have been linked.
Apple also uses their own maps as of a few years ago - overseas they use OSM but I don't think that's a thing since they moved their mapping in house.

(previously Apple used TomTom's MapShare street data a lot - ie you could make your own street reports in TomTom's MapShare tool, it would appear in Apple Maps a few weeks later (and in the TomTom app or physical GPS unit months later....)
Things like foliage layers (trees/forests/lakes,etc) and other data didn't flow from TomTom to Apple Maps though.

Then you have the 'Detailed City Experience', which is in a handful of cities worldwide, and in Sydney & Melbourne as of January - Apple Maps gets overhaul in Sydney and Melbourne plus Cycling directions Australia-wide
With lane markings, median strips, bus lanes, foliage, etc

As mentioned by bcarp, Waze has the lowest barrier to either suggesting edits, or making edits depending on your Waze Editor 'level' - but this data doesn't flow elsewhere.

Last edited:
The important thing is... how reliable is it?
I've found it to be excellent. It offers some alternate routes when you start navigation, its ETA and estimated charge usage tends to be pretty spot-on, it'll re-route based on traffic (I've had it successfully re-route me to avoid a jam on the M3 heading into Brisbane), and I'm low-key obsessed with the energy usage charts.

I've found it to be excellent. It offers some alternate routes when you start navigation, its ETA and estimated charge usage tends to be pretty spot-on, it'll re-route based on traffic (I've had it successfully re-route me to avoid a jam on the M3 heading into Brisbane), and I'm low-key obsessed with the energy usage charts.

You can also configure the alternate routes in the in-built Tesla navigation by how many minutes you want to save which I thought was pretty handy. So it'll only re-route if it'll save you X amount of time, based on your input. Pretty neat. Means if you set it to 5, it won't bother showing you an alternate route that will save you less than 5 minutes.

To answer the original topic Q - It's been said a couple of times in here already but I found Waze on charging pad is the best solution - I can even see it from my driving position if I need to. I also have a routine on my phone that opens Waze as soon as I'm connected to the car's bluetooth and closes it as soon as I'm disconnected. Works a treat and announces when it needs to over whatever I'm playing on Bluetooth. Didn't like the idea of having another screen infront of steering wheel just for Android Auto and definitely don't feel the need now.

Now just to figure out a WhatsApp solution for messages to pop up, but at least phone calls seem to work fine.

I also have a routine on my phone that opens Waze as soon as I'm connected to the car's bluetooth and closes it as soon as I'm disconnected. Works a treat and announces when it needs to over whatever I'm playing on Bluetooth. Didn't like the idea of having another screen infront of steering wheel just for Android Auto and definitely don't feel the need now.

Now just to figure out a WhatsApp solution for messages to pop up, but at least phone calls seem to work fine.
Thanks for that. Care to share the routine you mentioned above? One more thing, is bluetooth solid in Tesla's. Okay my Benz is 6 years old now but bluetooth has always been flakey.

Thanks for that. Care to share the routine you mentioned above? One more thing, is bluetooth solid in Tesla's. Okay my Benz is 6 years old now but bluetooth has always been flakey.
Attached two screenshots. I've got a Samsung, so this is how it's done through their UI but it's the same on standard Android and I'm pretty sure you can do the same on iPhone with the Shortcuts built in app.

I've had no issues with any Bluetooth drop outs at all. Been solid the whole time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230602_171403_Modes and Routines.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602_171403_Modes and Routines.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Screenshot_20230602_171357_Modes and Routines.jpg
    Screenshot_20230602_171357_Modes and Routines.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 119
You'll notice that the people who are suggesting using the car web browser to use Waze or Carplay are not from Australia. This is an Australian subforum & the OP is from Australia. In Australia, the web browser is disabled when the car is being driven, so these solutions won't work.

I use Waze & Pocket Casts on my phone in the car. Waze is on screen & Pocket Casts has podcasts queued up ready to play before starting to drive. To do this, I made my own charging phone mount using parts of other mounts: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/3pxj0y1v?p=62#r1240. This allows me to see the phone & it doesn't overheat like it does in the Tesla charging bay.
Oh i did not know that there are region based lock within the Apps themselves...in that case, the only option would be to buy one of those Hannshow odometer displays that double up as Android Auto/Carplay devices...these are still reasonably priced & fairly easy to install.

I suppose it all depends on how badly you need Waze.. where I live in UAE, waze makes a massive difference with live traffic updates, camera radar alerts, etc..Plus Tesla maps are missing some very obvious places and almost always routes you through toll roads.

Oh i did not know that there are region based lock within the Apps themselves...in that case, the only option would be to buy one of those Hannshow odometer displays that double up as Android Auto/Carplay devices...these are still reasonably priced & fairly easy to install.

I suppose it all depends on how badly you need Waze.. where I live in UAE, waze makes a massive difference with live traffic updates, camera radar alerts, etc..Plus Tesla maps are missing some very obvious places and almost always routes you through toll roads.
It’s not Waze that gets shut down, in a number of markets showing an internet browser on a car’s screen is illegal, and that includes Australia. Initially the browser was permanently disabled but later it was made available when the car was in Park, but it disappears when the car is put in drive.
In other countries such as Japan and Hong Kong a number of features are disabled completely due to local laws including Summon , the internet browser and other features.

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
It’s not Waze that gets shut down, in a number of markets showing an internet browser on a car’s screen is illegal, and that includes Australia. Initially the browser was permanently disabled but later it was made available when the car was in Park, but it disappears when the car is put in drive.
In other countries such as Japan and Hong Kong a number of features are disabled completely due to local laws including Summon , the internet browser and other features.
The browser is very useful when stopped combined with the YouTube hack to get it full screen. The kids where watching Bluey with me yesterday on ABC iView. We were on a road trip and wifey had popped quickly into a shop.

It seems nuts to allow a browser while driving until FSD is out of beta. I know it can be channelled to make Android auto and carplay work but it can also be used for many other more distracting things.

I didn't know that it was banned in other countries even when in park. This also seems nuts. I'm very glad we have it in Australia.

Tip: You can use your phone to send Waze alerts as a bluetooth "phone call". Then, it will interrupt whatever is playing in your Tesla and send the alert over the speakers.

View attachment 941843

Traffic aware navigation on the Tesla native nav app has improved a lot, so I don't miss Waze.
This must be an iPhone only option. I only have an option to use the phone's speaker on my android phone. See screenshot below. It would be nice to have this feature as it's easy to miss notifications, especially if the music is loud or on coarse chip road surface.

I've tried going into this menu with the phone connected to my car's Bluetooth and it doesn't change.

This must be an iPhone only option. I only have an option to use the phone's speaker on my android phone. See screenshot below. It would be nice to have this feature as it's easy to miss notifications, especially if the music is loud or on coarse chip road surface.

I've tried going into this menu with the phone connected to my car's Bluetooth and it doesn't change.
Mine works no issues on Android. Where is your audio coming from?

Not sure if you've already ruled this option out, but I installed a screen behind the wheel (like the Hansshow ones, different brand but likely identical OEM) that integrates wireless CarPlay.

Basically my setup right now is:
- Get in car, phone stays in pocket
- Wireless CarPlay automatically connects
- Waze automatically shows on screen as per CarPlay behaviour (auto opens last used navigation app)
- Music automatically set to play through Bluetooth on Tesla's speakers through an automation (otherwise it'll play on the screen's shitty inbuilt speakers)

No cradle needed and as hands free as it gets. I actually prefer this setup since I want to use the native Tesla navigation for battery/charge planning, but have Waze purely to visualise hazards/alerts.

This may have been mentioned before on previous posts.

I use Waze (and Spotify / Speed Adviser apps in the background) on my phone using Bluetooth to the car speakers and also the same destination on my Model 3 screen with the Tesla navigation on mute.

This way I have two reference points which I can follow to arrive at my destination

Please note that my Speed Adviser app which alerts me to mobile camera zones only works in NSW

Last edited: