Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utah Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rocky Mountain Power wants to add demand charges your bill if you have solar power.

So now if you have a Tesla with a 10kWh charger, you get to pay 90 dollars per month in demand charges. How do guys feel about that ?

Rocky Mountain Power could charge solar households more through new rate calculation proposal

Rocky Mountain Power estimates that the average net metering customer's demand peaks at about 1.6 kilowatts

What are they smoking?!?! That's how much a hair dryer uses. Most microwaves will peak above that. A stove is 2-3x. A clothesdryer is 7-8kW. Air conditioning. Vacuum. I could go on and on listing typical household appliances that single handedly use that much (I have at least 9 in my home - but not all are typical). Any regular small sized 15A circuit is rated up to 1.8kW! Uggggggh. Suddenly I'm glad I only have a 14-50 to charge with, and not a wall connector at 80A.

Rocky Mountain Power wants to add demand charges your bill if you have solar power.

So now if you have a Tesla with a 10kWh charger, you get to pay 90 dollars per month in demand charges. How do guys feel about that ?

Rocky Mountain Power could charge solar households more through new rate calculation proposal
Assuming that you and your fellow ratepayers don't manage to kill or modify this proposal, it suggests that the way to go would be to dial down your charge rate, and make sure you only charge at a time of day when nothing else with a big power need is running. Or buy a Powerwall, or something similar, and just go off-grid.

That sort of nonsense is the precise opposite of what the nonprofit power cooperative here is doing: their membership — we ratepayers — support alternative energy so they actually subsidize alternative energy installations (and they even have an EV rebate).

We'll be moving to Utah at the end of the year and we have plans for a solar installation some time in the near future (maybe a Tesla roof). Assuming this goes through, I suppose we'll just have to go grid-assisted without net metering using several Powerwall 2s and size the array accordingly. We could be more or less solar only, yet still have grid charging capabilities and still be classified as a regular residential power customer without demand charges. Either that or build the system with the grid as if it were a generator with a transfer switch and bypass the entire solar/battery stack when state of charge is insufficient. The downside is of course not being able to monetize excess generation in the summer, but this new proposal may make that a wash.

Was lucky enough to just happen to be visiting the SLC store when the first vehicle with version 2 hardware was being delivered to its new owner. Happily the guy was happy to let me look it over.

I'd seen pictures of the new sensor array but it was nice to see it in person.

Will be even nicer once the system is fully activated and we all get to see the future happening right before our eyes. :)

Reactions: KJD
Sometimes the lettering on the back of my official Tesla jacket seems too small and understated. So I had a friend with a computerized embroidery machine do this to a plain jacket I've had for years using a pattern she obtained from Tesla. She estimates about 25,000 stitches. BTW, if anyone else would like to have their clothing item embroidered like this (you can specify the size of the letters) let me know and I'll put you in touch with her.

0coat.jpg

Utah DMV just posted their 2016 Q3 new vehicle registration data. Nice to see Tesla had their best quarter ever in Utah with 38 Model X (amusingly called "Light Truck" by the state) and 71 Model S for a total of 109 (Next best quarter was last quarter with 91).

That brings the historical total of Tesla vehicles registered in Utah to 534.

Not bad for a state where the vehicles can not be sold...

Utah DMV just posted their 2016 Q3 new vehicle registration data. Nice to see Tesla had their best quarter ever in Utah with 38 Model X (amusingly called "Light Truck" by the state) and 71 Model S for a total of 109 (Next best quarter was last quarter with 91).

Thats awesome news! I've noticed an uptick.

Edit: I forgot to mention that these numbers are only for those vehicles registered in Utah. I'm told that several more vehicles were derived to the SLC store but then registered in other states. So even better. :) Here's hoping either the law suit and/or the legislature go Tesla's way.

Any updates on the Rocky Mtn Power ordeal?

Also, we moved into Cache Valley this Monday and it only took until Thursday to spot another Tesla here, a white refreshed Model S P90D at the Olive Garden. I was surprised to see another so soon out here.

I have solar and received snail mail from them a couple of weeks ago saying things would not change for those who already have net meters. A few days later I saw in the news that the Public Service Commission put the request on hold. Fingers crossed for the future.

In other news, I picked up my new S a couple of hours ago. Great car, but such a pain to have to remember to actually steer the thing. :) Musk tweet indicates that may change next week. Fingers crossed for that too. (Hmmm, reminds me I need to change my signature block below.)

Need some volunteers up in the Park City area. My boss just installed 3 destination chargers at the gym he owns. I tested each individually last night, and they each work fine. I only have a single charger, but they each put out 40amps @ 208v. The thing is the HPWC's all are on a single 100amp circuit and tied together using the load sharing feature. I'm looking for 2 other Tesla's to come up and test the load sharing features of the linked chargers, preferably someone who has dual chargers so I can be sure each can do 80amp charging individually as well.

Shoot me a PM if you are going to be up in the Park City area at some point!

Reactions: tony b
Need some volunteers up in the Park City area. My boss just installed 3 destination chargers at the gym he owns. I tested each individually last night, and they each work fine. I only have a single charger, but they each put out 40amps @ 208v. The thing is the HPWC's all are on a single 100amp circuit and tied together using the load sharing feature. I'm looking for 2 other Tesla's to come up and test the load sharing features of the linked chargers, preferably someone who has dual chargers so I can be sure each can do 80amp charging individually as well.

Shoot me a PM if you are going to be up in the Park City area at some point!

I'm up in park city every once in a while. I'll shoot you a pm next time I'm headed up that way.

So I went to Snowbird today from Park City. On my drive down 80/215 to the resort exit I saw 7 Model S and 1 Model X. Felt like I was in San Francisco or something.. I know someone here has the KICKGAS license plate, you passed me. I was in the Subi though as I knew LCC was only allowing 4WD or chains and I don't have chains for my Tesla.

Interesting note, most of the S, and the 1 X were white ones. Only 3 of the Model S's were another color.

/edit Snow was incredible at Snowbird... We've had one hell of a winter!

Reactions: ModelX