TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Utility Duke Energy too quick to point house fire blame on EVs

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by brucedp, Nov 8, 2011.

1. brucedp

brucedp Member

#1 brucedp, Nov 8, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
    Electric Vehicle Discussion List - Utility Duke Energy too quick to point house fire blame on EVs

Another Utility that used EVs as a scapegoat without actual facts.
    We all know how good EV charging is for utility's business, can both Duke and PG&E 's PR people really be that insipid / dumb? ... Yes, yes they can.

The second item on that thread states GM is involved. It does not matter if the EVSE is not charging an EV, the media is all over this like a cheap suit that it is a serious EV issue. We (the EV community) need to post comments to those newswire URLs to correct and offset the bad EV PR that they put out.

Please consider placing a comment on the newswire URLs mentioned in the thread to offset this bad press by a deflecting / finger-pointing Utility and emotion mongering media outlet.

Urban Dictionary: all over you like a cheap suit

{brucedp.150m.com}

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

To play devil's advocate here:

Sounds like they're just saying they're trying to be cautious while the investigation is under way.

*edit* a post further down the thread posts the actual message:

So yeah, doesn't sound like they're scapegoating the stations at all. Heck, sounds like the stations are part of their OWN program, and if anything, they want to make sure they don't catch any backlash from it -- so they're being cautious.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

4. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

That is the very reason after the electricians left after installing my HPC that I ripped the wire out and put in heavier wire. As I said to some when I did that, I wanna make damn sure that the breaker flips before a wire even starts to fail.

5. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Apparently, the EVSE still was operative as the fire emerged. But is it a safe conclusion that a EVSE that triggers a fire stops working?

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Anyone see the power outages at the 49ers game last night? Must have been all of those EV's plugged in!!

7. surfingslovak

surfingslovak Member

Yes, crazy. That was a major fumble.