Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utter Frustration (National PEM Shortage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I had the two fuses replaced that I mentioned just upthread, 90% of the cost was parts, only a small fraction was labor. Some have said on TMC that the fuses in question should be less than $100 or so. Others dispute that. I have no way of knowing who is correct.

The PEM fuses for the charging input are class T 150 amp fuses, 600 volt. Bussmann Part number JJS150. There are two in the 2.0/2.5 roadsters. These are commonly availability from places like Grainger ($66.90). You should check your invoice from Tesla and if they have "mistakenly" charged much more than the high price that Grainger charges for these fuses you should question why. Mistakes do happen and someone might have typed in the wrong part number. As stated up thread, it doesn't take long to swap these out.

Thanks, but I have a 1.5.
The PEM fuses for the charging input are class T 150 amp fuses, 600 volt. Bussmann Part number JJS150. There are two in the 2.0/2.5 roadsters. These are commonly availability from places like Grainger ($66.90). You should check your invoice from Tesla and if they have "mistakenly" charged much more than the high price that Grainger charges for these fuses you should question why. Mistakes do happen and someone might have typed in the wrong part number. As stated up thread, it doesn't take long to swap these out.

Just got an update from Tesla today on the status of my repair...They're saying that it'll be November (maybe) before they get a PEM for me.

FOUR months, for a warranty repair?

Anyone got Elon's number? I'd like to have a little chat with him.

I'd for sure at minimum have them extend your warranty for the periods that your car has been in their hands and not theirs.

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest
I'd for sure at minimum have them extend your warranty for the periods that your car has been in their hands and not theirs.

The car isn't covered under Extended Warranty...they are replacing parts that they've replaced before (the replacement parts had a 12 month/unlimited mileage warranty on them). So, I'm not gaining anything...because the parts they're replacing (battery and PEM) they've replaced before, and the "new" ones will have a 12 month/unlimited mileage warranty on them.

Like I mentioned in my original post - this is battery #3 for this car...and PEM #4.

I guess my tires could dry-rot while the car is in their possession. :)

New want: PEM 3.0 upgrade option.*

*completely made-up at this point, in the absence of other means for increasing the pool of PEMs keeping all our cars on the road. (not to be confused with the minor surgery on PEMs to support 3.0 battery pack install).

Reactions: BartJ
I local driver here just had a PEM replaced under warranty. The brought in a replacement from Switzerland and when that didn't work they got another one from Norway at a couple of day's notice.

Now I suspect that EU PEMs are different but at least there is some limited stock here.

Recently a suggestion of a third party making more PEMs was poo-pooed, but if Tesla is not willing to make more or redesign it to avoid component obsolescence then what choice to we have as the cars age and we inevitably all come up against this?

I'm in the same boat with a 3 year extended warranty. My last repair took 3 months this year, and now with the PEM I'm sure it will take another 2-3 months. It's been there since 9/19 (undriveable for a month prior) and they are waiting for the PEM box to arrive (don't know when) so that they can ship to Fremont where it will supposedly take 3 weeks to repair and then send back to reinstall. I think it's a great idea to ask for them to extend the warranty for the amount of time it's been sitting with them and not on the road. thanks for the idea.

On a tangent to a new PEM, the people with the 818 kit car upgraded from the S85 drivetrain to the P85 drivetrain. There's no reason to get a 3rd party to design a new Roadster PEM when Tesla already designed better power electronics for the Model S. I don't think that Tesla would offer this, but a crazy third party could.

Providing another update on this (for those that might be interested.)

Service Center dutifully called me on 1 Nov...to tell me they have "absolutely no idea when we're getting a replacement PEM" for my car.

We're now at 4.5 months.

So, last weekend, I picked this up...

20161113_150758-2124x1195.jpg

I know this might make me a traitor in the eyes of some but, the reason I bought a "fun sports car" was so I could DRIVE a "fun sports car"...not just pay property tax and insurance for a car I won't (in my case...can't) drive.

It's a 2011 Elise, with a REV300 supercharger. So, about the same HP as the Roadster...but around 900 lbs. less gross weight.

It goes like stink and makes a GLORIOUS exhaust note.

As for what I'm going to do with my Roadster; I'll make that decision if/when Tesla ever bothers to fix it.

This whole "we don't have the parts for it, we can't get the parts for it, we have absolutely no idea when we might get the parts for it" situation is just...terrifying. It's not a 5 year old laptop that I'm just going to throw away because it's obsolete.