Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Utter Frustration (National PEM Shortage)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found out that my car had it's PEM replaced in June of this year with a refurb unit - very scary that the whole thing becomes a big brick due to no parts. My understanding was a manufacturer was/is required to supply parts for 10years after manufacture date - though that's not great for how long these cars should otherwise last.. feels like the specs need to be public to allow 3rd party replacements?

I found out that my car had it's PEM replaced in June of this year with a refurb unit - very scary that the whole thing becomes a big brick due to no parts. My understanding was a manufacturer was/is required to supply parts for 10years after manufacture date - though that's not great for how long these cars should otherwise last.. feels like the specs need to be public to allow 3rd party replacements?
Nope. They are only required to provide parts for the length of the warranty. On ICE's the EPA (I think) requires emissions parts to be warranted for 10 years so that's where the 10 year thing comes from.

As for what I'm going to do with my Roadster; I'll make that decision if/when Tesla ever bothers to fix it.

This whole "we don't have the parts for it, we can't get the parts for it, we have absolutely no idea when we might get the parts for it" situation is just...terrifying. It's not a 5 year old laptop that I'm just going to throw away because it's obsolete.

Just curious - have you considered asking Tesla to buy it back? After all, if they don't fix it, it's pretty much unsellable. Seems to me, there should be some responsibility on their part.

Just curious - have you considered asking Tesla to buy it back? After all, if they don't fix it, it's pretty much unsellable. Seems to me, there should be some responsibility on their part.

You're not the first to suggest that...and I've thought about it. However, I think the big wrinkle in that idea is I didn't buy the car from Tesla.

I'm a second owner. Bought the car from an ICE used car dealership, as-is, no warranty (car was beyond factory warranty and dealership offered no warranty on it (not that it would have mattered - I bought the car out-of-state)).

I think it would one thing if I could go in there and say "You sold me this car...and now you can't fix it.". But, they didn't sell me the car.

It lives!

Friday I got my Roadster back! Just in time for the weather to completely turn to crap for the next 4 months.

For the record, total time they had the car was 4 days shy of 5 months.

They ended up replacing the battery (with a refurb unit), they replaced the PEM (with a NEW unit - this shocked me; I was told "there are no new PEMs; they're all reconditioned/refurbished" but, this one is brand new), and they also replaced the rear fan assembly, noting that it was "binding".

I've only driven the car a couple of times but, it runs great. Hard to tell if my overall "overheating" issue is solved, since it's like 40° out right now.

Had a very funny moment when I first got into the car. I had told them to lock the key in the trunk when they delivered (I wasn't home). I got home, excitedly hopped in the driver's seat, then suddenly went "Wait, how do you open the trunk?" I swear to God, I couldn't remember! I knew there was a way (without the key), but for the life of me couldn't remember how. I pushed one button on the dash...and the glove box opened. No, that's not it.

I ended up having to go down to the safe and grab the spare key, popping the trunk from there. The second time I got into the car, my brain suddenly un-farted, and I remembered where the trunk release was!

In my defense, I hadn't SEEN the car in 5 months (let alone driven it).

:) I had to look where you were to understand bad weather... I used to live outside Boston so where you are is pretty nice year round comparing to that..

I'm in the DC metro area so, there are two problems...weather and traffic. One or the other is tolerable but, the combination is just deadly for cars.

For some reason, the moment it starts to rain, everyone's IQ drops like 40 points, and the just turn into blathering idiots.

So, I don't drive the Roadster when it rains, or WILL rain, or sleet (which they're calling for tomorrow), and certainly not snow. I know some folks stick snow tires on the Roadster and go play but, I won't do that. I trust the car, and my driving ability...it's the moron in the 4x4 who doesn't get that the 4-wheel drive system on his SUV does NOTHING to affect his stopping distance that I don't want to share the road with.

Reactions: DeedWest
For some reason, the moment it starts to rain, everyone's IQ drops like 40 points, and the just turn into blathering idiots.

So, I don't drive the Roadster when it rains, or WILL rain, or sleet (which they're calling for tomorrow), and certainly not snow. I know some folks stick snow tires on the Roadster and go play but, I won't do that. I trust the car, and my driving ability...it's the moron in the 4x4 who doesn't get that the 4-wheel drive system on his SUV does NOTHING to affect his stopping distance that I don't want to share the road with.

+1, and take the same approach as you. Prius is daily driver. The one time I had a loaner P85D on the PA turnpike it was like driving an electric dreadnought (big but awesome).

Congrats on getting your Roadster back and on breaking the new-PEM barrier.:)

Excuse my ignorant curiosity, but which of the many possible PEM acronyms is being referred to here?

(My first association was "Proton Exchange Membrane fuel cell" but then on reflection I discarded that and asked myself if the national shortage could be one of "President-Elect-Manners").

• Funny
Reactions: DaveD and PV-EV
My PEM is certainly partially a new PEM, I've discovered that the enclosure is basically new, after vacuuming metal swarf from several mounting points - indicating that whilst the electronics may be old, that the enclosure is potentially new (nothing alarming in terms of swarf, but several mounting points look freshly machined). Reassuring? I don't know. When this one expires in terms of warranty, it will be coming apart though for inspection...

On the DL... The NEW PEMs are being made by engineering. (Told to me as per Dallas Service.) I apparently, when I had a PEM overheat during summer, was the person to get one of the last reman units in NA.

That isn't the only thing to become scarce as of late. Roadster charging equipment is becoming "Hen's Teeth" to find. So much so that in preparation for my 3.0 upgrade they asked me to bring the UMC in as well. (I would have done this anyways as I always do for annual service.)

. Roadster charging equipment is becoming "Hen's Teeth" to find. So much so that in preparation for my 3.0 upgrade they asked me to bring the UMC in as well.
I never understood why they didn't come up with a Model S/X style charge port that could be refitted into a Roadster, they had the new prt designed at least 6 years ago. I could imagine it having been a few hours labor and a few hundred in parts. Plenty of Roadster owners would have gone for it, given how many also own another Tesla.