Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V10 release notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• DC628B7B-F1AC-44A0-94F4-B9F424AFD9E7.jpeg
    DC628B7B-F1AC-44A0-94F4-B9F424AFD9E7.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 3,619
  • 8A5C5FA4-B41D-4697-8910-1451CF8D3014.jpeg
    8A5C5FA4-B41D-4697-8910-1451CF8D3014.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 2,387
  • 2B813A61-8265-49D7-9F8C-3DF9ED27636A.jpeg
    2B813A61-8265-49D7-9F8C-3DF9ED27636A.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 2,310
  • 263540CA-6897-4E85-853D-83726F5D2865.jpeg
    263540CA-6897-4E85-853D-83726F5D2865.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2,356
  • 9035AC65-6907-44C4-BED2-1F8606011303.jpeg
    9035AC65-6907-44C4-BED2-1F8606011303.jpeg
    233.2 KB · Views: 2,293
  • 23639BF4-3D41-4580-84E7-9687FF103D78.jpeg
    23639BF4-3D41-4580-84E7-9687FF103D78.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,316
Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of interesting but useless stuff, and unfortunately missing a lot of the most requested features such as Sentry Mode viewing, text msg integration/Carplay/AA.

The real meat of this update will be whatever improvements have been made to AP algorithms/training under the hood.
Please read the text under "Version 10.0..."
It say "early adopter CAN test "some" of the News features not all

I bought my M3 because I wanted a safe, well-designed electric vehicle that would usher me into the (autonomous) driving future. I did not pay upwards of 60k for Netflix, games, and Caraoke. I understand that these may be nice addons and thrilling to some. I mean no disrespect. But it seems to me that going from version 9 to version 10 should focus on real operational improvements, rather than eye-candy, entertainment. I am eager for the enhancement of my M3 driving experience, rather than the enhancements to my entertainment while waiting for a charge.

So I am hopeful that the focus of the order of the release notes comments is not an indication of the priority given the later over the former. Let's hope it is a major operational upgrade.

Sure...we can hope there are other things coming. But those are probably not included in the EA release not to hide them, but rather because they aren’t ready, and will surface in 10.1, 10.2, etc.

We could get lucky though and they’re running in shadow mode on the V10 to gather more real world data before going wide... but I would suspect they’re all non-user facing improvements than. (Think AP improvement, route/range estimate changes, etc)

Yep, a lot of fluff that while cool, isn’t really needed and will hardly be touched by many.

I’m hoping there’s a lot of background stuff that’s been updated as well!

(Also, Cuphead only the first island? So.... is this a license thing, or a technical limit? I hope that didn’t take much work/resources to being over!)

Elon tweeted awhile ago when they announced that Cuphead was coming to Tesla's that the limitation was because Cuphead takes up too much space. The assets are all hand drawn. Assuming this Tesla version is roughly the same size as the PC version, my copy (on PC) reports that it takes 3698MB. I doubt they want to dedicate almost 4GB to one game.

Regarding fluff, is Netflix or Youtube really fluff? It makes roadtrips even easier now because you have something to do while you wait 30mins to charge. Plus, this is paving the way to when FSD means you can use streaming video even during a drive somewhere.

We could get lucky though and they’re running in shadow mode on the V10 to gather more real world data before going wide... but I would suspect they’re all non-user facing improvements than. (Think AP improvement, route/range estimate changes, etc)

Definitely possible. I have no doubt there’s a lot of cool stuff coming in the next few months, just that what is initially included in the v10 release/buzz may not be everything we hoped for.
Also possible the features go out piecemeal to EA, and the rest will be determined by the feedback they get.

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
Elon tweeted awhile ago when they announced that Cuphead was coming to Tesla's that the limitation was because Cuphead takes up too much space. The assets are all hand drawn. Assuming this Tesla version is roughly the same size as the PC version, my copy (on PC) reports that it takes 3698MB. I doubt they want to dedicate almost 4GB to one game.

Regarding fluff, is Netflix or Youtube really fluff? It makes roadtrips even easier now because you have something to do while you wait 30mins to charge. Plus, this is paving the way to when FSD means you can use streaming video even during a drive somewhere.

It is fluff when you can’t use it at most supercharging locations. I know he said WiFi was coming to superchargers, but if it’s at the normal rate of the new locations “coming end of...” Netflix could show up in V11 and still beat a major WiFi roll out. It might be paving the way for FSD, but I would rather see FSD improvements made first and then “things to do” show up afterwards.

There are just a bunch of things that could show up first before this stuff. This is the stuff that I would imagine showing up in random small updates. I imagine a few software engineers spending part of their time between major releases doing the fun stuff, not “work hard to polish the major code update that has... videos and games...”

And if Cuphead is space limited... why not offer multiple island downloads then?

Frankly I would say yes they are fluff. In the future they will be handy no doubt but eg Netflix requires you to be stopped AND have Wifi which to be honest you would struggle to find a Supercharger with wifi.

For a Major V10 release you would seriously expect a lot more much needed improvements in other areas rather than just careoke etc.. The sentry auto deletion was a major omission which is finally being addressed but not being able to view sentry on the screen is a big missing feature along with many many others. The world’s most technologically advanced car still sucks in being able to read out and send messages something that even the dumbest ICE cars can do..

Reactions: APotatoGod
I can’t say there is one thing in those release notes that I could care less about. I rarely go to a supercharger but even if I did the last thing I want to do after a long drive is sit in my car and watch movies on Netflix. That is my time to stretch my legs, get something to eat and take a bathroom break.

How about showing alternate routes on the maps like Google Maps does? Or warning about a traffic slowdown ahead...like Google Maps does. Or actually rerouting when there is a better route option...like Google Maps does.

It is fluff when you can’t use it at most supercharging locations. I know he said WiFi was coming to superchargers, but if it’s at the normal rate of the new locations “coming end of...” Netflix could show up in V11 and still beat a major WiFi roll out. It might be paving the way for FSD, but I would rather see FSD improvements made first and then “things to do” show up afterwards.

There are just a bunch of things that could show up first before this stuff. This is the stuff that I would imagine showing up in random small updates. I imagine a few software engineers spending part of their time between major releases doing the fun stuff, not “work hard to polish the major code update that has... videos and games...”

And if Cuphead is space limited... why not offer multiple island downloads then?

I mean, for all we know, there are improvements to autopilot. They explicitly call out visualization is new (and has new visuals, maybe the 'truck' visualization others have mentioned before). That to me says there is progression on autopilot. Sure, no 'features' (like city NOA), but still a step forward in the neural net training since it knows the difference between different vehicles now.

As for the rest, it takes up a lot of the changelog because it's new stuff. Who knows how much time is actually dedicated to each feature.

As for 'downloadable' islands: now you're talking about in-place downloadable stuff to replace other assets. Sounds like it would waste a bunch of bandwidth... and you've got to design something to handle that. Not saying it isn't possible, but it's a big difference from just taking the existing Cuphead and making it shorter. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if the Cuphead devs don't actually want to give away the entire game.

Reactions: APotatoGod