Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Actual Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had 11.3 for 2 days now and done a couple of drives. General impressions:
  • Overall for me it's been at least as good as 69.25 was
  • There seem to be fewer phantom blinkers.
  • hard to tell if lane selection is better or worse. I had it get some lanes right that it's never been able to handle before but it also got some lanes wrong that 69.25 got right.
  • Turns, acceleration and stopping are smoother.
  • 69.25 would often start to accelerate at a stop sign or light and then hesitate. 11.3 doesn't seem to do that.
  • It doesn't intermittently hesitate at blinking yellow lights on freeway on ramps
  • At the one blinking yellow arrow I've encountered it treated it like a stop sign - stopped then proceeded. Technically it should have proceeded through without stopping but it's an improvement from before.
  • I've also noticed the improved creeping behavior others have commented on.
FWIW I have the voice annotation feature

maybe it was because I was just cruising on a straight road at 45 mph. But I was able to go eyes on/hands-off for several minutes before it asked me to hold the wheel.
It has been my assumption that FSD is looking at "decision points" and insists that the driver nag go out once every N decision points. I would have thought that there would be a timeout as well, but perhaps not. Certainly I see more nags when there's a lot of stuff going on around me. Merging traffic, turns, traffic lights - stuff to pay attention to.

Took a short drive with 11.3.2 today and initial impressions were better than expected.
For the first time FSDb has been able to drive down the (no centerline) roads close to our house without constantly ping ponging down the road. That is much better.
So far stops signs are being handles better and more naturally than previously - apart from the stupid full and complete stop BS.
It still stops for the Yield signs but seems to get round without lots of spinning steering wheel, so also a plus.
Comments from others about it feeling more natural do seem to be a pretty good description.
I have a normal highway commute on Friday and my weekend camping trip coming up so will report back after they have been completed.
The camping trip journey is usually a minimum 20-30 interventions over 55 miles, so is should be interesting.

I've only driven V11.3.3 on city streets. For me it's very similar to V10.69.25 but with some added smoothness and refinement.
  • Smoother braking unless it's a last moment dive into a turn lane.
  • Phantom braking has improved.
  • Path planning has improved but still underwhelms.
  • Some bipolar center of road searching when bus a parking space presents at the road side.
  • The stop sign (stop early and crawl) is pure frustration to anyone in and around the car trying to interpret intent for what is normally a very straight forward driving task.
  • An occasional pausing/stopping in the intersection after a stop sign or turn.
  • Roundabouts are pure folly. It isn't clear the current HW can adequately support roundabout functionality.
There's much more work here than 1 iteration.

This thread feels like Copywrite infringement. There already is a, “MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experience” thread that’s almost 400 pages long, so let’s create a new one and call it our own! What do you say, @Ramphex? You start the v11.3.4 experiences thread and I’ll start one for v11.4…
I’m still upset about that whole master thing….. 😞

But Joey, you ever been in a cockpit before?
EC8E23F5-5784-41E7-AC5A-FA73871C5FC9.gif

This thread feels like Copywrite infringement. There already is a, “MASTER THREAD: Actual FSD Beta downloads and experience” thread that’s almost 400 pages long, so let’s create a new one and call it our own! What do you say, @Ramphex? You start the v11.3.4 experiences thread and I’ll start one for v11.4…
I assure you, no copyright infringement intended!

I've had 11.3 for 2 days now and done a couple of drives. General impressions:
  • Overall for me it's been at least as good as 69.25 was
  • There seem to be fewer phantom blinkers.
  • hard to tell if lane selection is better or worse. I had it get some lanes right that it's never been able to handle before but it also got some lanes wrong that 69.25 got right.
  • Turns, acceleration and stopping are smoother.
  • 69.25 would often start to accelerate at a stop sign or light and then hesitate. 11.3 doesn't seem to do that.
  • It doesn't intermittently hesitate at blinking yellow lights on freeway on ramps
  • At the one blinking yellow arrow I've encountered it treated it like a stop sign - stopped then proceeded. Technically it should have proceeded through without stopping but it's an improvement from before.
  • I've also noticed the improved creeping behavior others have commented on.
FWIW I have the voice annotation feature
concerning item 5… i agree with your comment about the previous behavior, it was one of my biggest issues… i too thought it was fixed in this release but yesterday after stopping at a stop sign then beginning to turn right, with a car approaching from the left, it hesitated then nearly came to a complete stop while midway through the turn. no telling what may have happened if i hadn’t helped it along 😞

It has been my assumption that FSD is looking at "decision points" and insists that the driver nag go out once every N decision points. I would have thought that there would be a timeout as well, but perhaps not. Certainly I see more nags when there's a lot of stuff going on around me. Merging traffic, turns, traffic lights - stuff to pay attention to.
Where is the post that you were replying to? I don’t see it in this thread.

Lots of people have commented on V11 (in both flavors so far deployed) seeming more natural in various ways. My impression is that overall braking is quite a bit better. Mind you, it was pretty bad before and has not become remotely perfect. But I think it has slightly improved on deciding a little earlier to commence braking when the emerging situation makes it obvious to me that it should. I also think the profile of the braking during a substantial reduction fluctuates noticeably less.

I harbor a hope that my expected early service requirements for brake pads and rotors because of FSDb abuse may get postponed to later than they would have been.

Two further major changes in braking are that scroll-wheel reduction in MAX gives a much greater deceleration than the extremely placid profile it used until now, and that the response to changes in MAX because of speed limit sign changes also gives a much greater deceleration.

It still does not anticipate nearly so much as I'd like, and in the few examples I've run sometimes the response to speed limit change was disconcertingly abrupt. But overall I'm glad they worked in this area, which I thought was gravely deficient before, and find the current state considerably better than the previous.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life