Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Actual Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did my regular commute in both directions, lots of regular roads and lots of highway.
The bad stuff first
  • On a four lane road the car signaled and started aggressively turning the left lane when there was already a car there. Obviously I stopped it leaving the lane.
  • .5 Mile from making a right turn onto another road and the cars signals to move left - err, no.
  • Road positioning when stopping at a red light next to a right turn only lane, the car tried to center between both lanes.
  • Road positioning gets uncomfortably close to the lines on corners, especially on multilane roads, especially with other cars to the left. I had to stop it several times.
  • For some reason the AP/FSD icon kept disappearing, retying the same road when its already engaged worked fine. It just won't re-engage in some places.
The good stuff
  • I was expecting highway to be a regression, but overall it definitely isn't
  • Nags very reduced, I deliberately applied no wheel torque and looked ahead and got several minutes with no warnings.
  • Fast highway curves are much smoother
  • It now deliberately avoids semi-trailers
  • Stop/Go is dramatically better, no sharp starts and stops, smooth acceleration and braking.
  • Using the scroll wheel to set speed works much better now
  • Highway exists to slower side roads as noticeably smoother and much more natural.
  • The number of disengages to make my commute has fallen by at least 50%
The unexpectedly good stuff
  • For the very first time on my commute, it was able to execute an unprotected left at a light (with no left turn)
    It was red on approach, but on green the car didn't even start to move due to all the on coming traffic. It waited for a safe gap and took the sharp 90 left with authority and no hint of the old spinning wheel and indecision.
One real oddity and not really FSD. On one highway exit, the Nav showed a path off the ramp and to the frontage, but the Nav-Voice said "take the onramp to the highway". Thats the first time I've seen the nav show one thing and say another.

Overall - properly impressed by the improvements, still lots of things to make sure I'm holding that wheel, but still much better than expected.

…3.3 slows on 50mph double yellow gentle left curves but not right curves. IMO maintaining speed is the safe thing to do; phantom braking is less pronounced but slowing for opposing vehicles and left curves needs work

Is 3.4 going to 3.3 installs?

Took my first drive today 11.3.4.

Disengaged in first 5 seconds to avoid a massive pothole. Happened again later on drive. So many right now, enormous ones.

Merged onto the freeway without signaling. I think signaling when you are entering a lane of traffic is desirable.

A little bit of jittery jumpy jamming of brakes on the freeway. Failed to properly slow down smoothly for slightly slowing traffic.

Had a great lane change to ease over onto Black Mountain road to exit 56E. Best it has ever done and was very good. Seemed smooth and not jerky. End of freeway. Nothing too exciting but not worse than before for a very small sample.

Surface streets didn’t seem much different except for being able to turn into residential area from main road correctly (merging into bike lane then turning right). Too slow perhaps but correct and should not result in rear-end collision.

Lots of charging up to red lights with cars everywhere and jamming on of the friction brakes. It is not clear it is seeing well around slight curves where traffic is visible.

Failed to understand bike lane markings at a right turn where it has problems. It made the turn, but just charged across the bike lane late.

Anyway overall seemed fine but not usable in the general case yet.

I had about 5 disengagements and about 10 interventions (lane changes etc.) roughly in 20 minutes. I took a video so maybe I’ll count later.

Will be interesting to see more freeways later. Surface streets are definitely not the same as before but we’ll see about consistency there and the continued inability to understand traffic speed is frustrating of course.

Upgraded to 11.3.4 this morning. The visualization is different and provides more information now about what is going to do which is good.

On the highway, it works similarly , now it seems to move to the next lane to avoid the merging onramp lane, which is how I usually drive.
On the side street, it failed on a sharp turn, it's about 120 degrees turn that started after the red light but I don't trust the spinning steering in the middle of the turn since there are other traffic around, take over. Then on the surface road, traveling at 50mph, trying to make a right turn at red light but not slowing down at all, it slammed on the brake at the last moment and disengage by itself. I will try different settings on highway and see how it works, NoA handles difficult traffic on I35/635 reasonably well.

One quick drive with 11.3.4. I posted my five routine interventions on 10.69 (see link for details) to see if V11 improved them.

1) On 10.69, Hard braking far before from one particular stop sign:
On this one 11.3.4 drive, it did not do this, no intervention required!​
2) Then: Unable to handle curvy road.
Now: It did OK at the posted speed. Not quite so smooth in the other direction, so it may still not be good enough.​
3) Then: Ignored Oncoming Traffic Does Not Stop:
Now: There didn't happen to be any oncoming traffic, so unknown if fixed, though I doubt it reads this sign yet.​
4)Then: Wrong lane position when no lane marking.
Now: No improvement, had to intervene.​
5) Then: Full stop middle of complex intersection due to red light for cross-traffic.
Now: Unknown, didn't go there yet.​

So, of these five 10.69 problems, V11 appears to have improved two, and not improved one. The other two will require more testing.

My other complaint was not really about FSD, but rather the old autopilot which swerved when my lane widened, e.g. when passing an onramp. On my one short drive, FSD on the freeway appears to have fixed this.

Overall, I like the improvements, but we still have a way to go. It still takes at least one intervention, probably two, on the couple miles between my home and the freeway to anywhere.

One quick drive with 11.3.4. I posted my five routine interventions on 10.69 (see link for details) to see if V11 improved them.

1) On 10.69, Hard braking far before from one particular stop sign:
On this one 11.3.4 drive, it did not do this, no intervention required!​
2) Then: Unable to handle curvy road.
Now: It did OK at the posted speed. Not quite so smooth in the other direction, so it may still not be good enough.​
3) Then: Ignored Oncoming Traffic Does Not Stop:
Now: There didn't happen to be any oncoming traffic, so unknown if fixed, though I doubt it reads this sign yet.​
4)Then: Wrong lane position when no lane marking.
Now: No improvement, had to intervene.​
5) Then: Full stop middle of complex intersection due to red light for cross-traffic.
Now: Unknown, didn't go there yet.​

So, of these five 10.69 problems, V11 appears to have improved two, and not improved one. The other two will require more testing.

My other complaint was not really about FSD, but rather the old autopilot which swerved when my lane widened, e.g. when passing an onramp. On my one short drive, FSD on the freeway appears to have fixed this.

Overall, I like the improvements, but we still have a way to go. It still takes at least one intervention, probably two, on the couple miles between my home and the freeway to anywhere.

• Informative
Reactions: FSDtester#1
So, of these five 10.69 problems, V11 appears to have improved two, and not improved one.
So compared to 10.69, it's better. That seems to be the consensus. Seems Elon would want to expedite this one.

Sure, there are still a ton of bugs. But my concern is whether it's better or worse than what we have. Seems strange to hold back if that's the case.

Sure, there are still a ton of bugs. But my concern is whether it's better or worse than what we have. Seems strange to hold back if that's the case.
My expectation was that the original goal of V11 was updating of the highway autopilot and I suspect the NHTSA curfuffle became entangled and slowed down the process. Now that those two bridges have been crossed (we hope), perhaps the recent rapid update rate will continue and the known bugs will be addressed.

I wonder when they will merge the FSD on freeway code into the production releases. They may still want to keep a separate fork running for FSD development so they don't annoy the entire fleet with rapid updates. It will be interesting to see how this goes from here.

My vote is for continued rapid rolls of improved FSD, along with a mechanism for v2023.x folks to get the FSD they paid for if they wish too.

Time will tell....

Since V11, as long as traffic is slowly moving, FSD will abruptly brake near this bus stop. I guess it think its a bus...

1680417763744.png

• Helpful
Say What? This is a link to 370 pages of complaints about not receiving updates yet. So, if someone new to V11.3.4 wants to know what to expect, you want them to read all that? Or do I misunderstand?
I got my second drive in on 11.3.4, not so great. Several reports to the mother ship, now that I have the Chuck Cook button-to-report thing down.

The good news: I switched back to my wife's non-FSD settings and let old AutoPilot drive the twisty road. It blew over the double yellow line several times. The new FSD stack handled it at the 35 MPH limit smoothly and comfortably. I am not sure this is better than 10.69, but that is not the point. Soon the FSD stack should replace the only AutoPilot version, and is much, much better at handling curves.

However, 11.3.4 failed again on a lane selection, straddling two unmarked lanes and blocking traffic. Later it stopped in the middle of a complex stoplight intersection, just like 10.69 did. So improvements are still needed. Several interventions in a short drive. Nothing serious, but not great.

I'm thinking we should keep a Honk Score, logging when another driver actually honks at us for slow or weird FSD driving. Usually I intervene when I see such coming, so maybe a half point for those.

One question for others: Several times, after I disengaged for whatever reasons, re-engagement was not available. The grey steering wheel icon blinked on and off, and would only engage if I managed to double press the lever when it was on. Do we know why FSD engagement is intermittently disabled while driving?

Thanks!

Reactions: JB47394
Just did my first drive on 11.3.4, and although there's definitely some improvements, there's also some rough patches I wasn't expecting. The stopping (for stop signs, traffic lights, etc) feels much more rough and aggressive to me, which is odd since the general consensus seems to be that it's improved. It does a more gradual slow down for much of the distance, but far too abruptly increases the breaking near the end.

It also came far closer to hitting a car on a roundabout than I was comfortable with, as I was entering the round about it didn't stop or slow down until the last minute for yielding to the car already in the roundabout, even though I'm pretty sure the visualization did recognize that there was a car there.

It's generally way more assertive with the driving, accelerating much more aggressively after turns, which is generally an improvement, but also a little jarring. I miss some of the color (clearly marking the non-drivable area in red) from the old visualization, but that's just nitpicking small changes.

I had another 50mph turn, if I don't intervene it will end up jumping over the curb and hitting the fire hydrant. It was traveling on the service road and the destination is still one block away, somehow it thinks the turns lane into a complex on the right is faster, speeding up. I have to brake and make a quick turn into the apartment complex; otherwise, it will run over the curb and crash into the fire hydrant. I have been to the destination with previous releases and never had a problem.

• Informative
Do we know why FSD engagement is intermittently disabled while driving?
One reason I am aware of seems to be that it wants to see adequate lane markings "right now" in view. So, for example, driving down a four-lane road with a substantial median the "you can engage now" icon will be up between intersections, but disappear for a couple of seconds while passing through. You might think it is just being clever about not inviting you to start in an intersection, but I think the availability of markings hypothesis fits better to my observations.

Quite likely there are other reasons on the list as well.

Soon the FSD stack should replace the only AutoPilot version, and is much, much better at handling curves.
Better, but it still needs work. I drive a 45 mph road regularly, and it's full of sweeping curves. The car consistently delays just a bit at the beginning of each curve, meaning that the car ends up slightly wide on the start of the turn, and has to steer back into the middle of the lane. The car does it relatively smoothly, but it's definitely not good for the tires.
However, 11.3.4 failed again on a lane selection
If FSD was a superhero, its villain would be called Lane Selection.
I'm thinking we should keep a Honk Score
I like that.
One question for others: Several times, after I disengaged for whatever reasons, re-engagement was not available.
@archae86's answer is interesting, and I've seen the icon vanish in intersections. Chuck Cook noticed that if he drove too close to the edge of an unmarked road that he'd predictably lose the icon. I was driving on a well-marked country road when FSD did a hard brake. I disengaged to avoid an accident, and then I got that intermittent flashing behavior where the icon appears for only a moment. I pulled off to a side road to cycle through parking, turning around on the side road and resuming the drive. Interestingly, the icon was available on the side road, but when I got back on the country road, it vanished again. It only reappeared on the country road when the road widened into multiple lanes for a highway interchange. It's definitely a new Tesla goof.

I'll be driving that route today, and will be keeping an eye on things. I want to have the presence of mind to report it instead of just dealing with the shock of surprise about it.

Still …3.3
New behavior: moves R into the shoulder area after signaling and starting to slow on approach to a right hand turn off of 50mph rural Rt 1–just like real drivers who are considerate of following traffic. The shoulder is wide but not full-lane width and the car does not fully exit the travel lane before turning but it does give the following traffic a chance to continue around the ego without stopping.
I doubt any other system in development can do this any time soon and it might just fluster the NHTSA even though it is typical accommodating human behavior.