Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The next big milestone for FSD is 11. It is a significant upgrade and fundamental changes to several parts of the FSD stack including totally new way to train the perception NN.

From AI day and Lex Fridman interview we have a good sense of what might be included.

- Object permanence both temporal and spatial
- Moving from “bag of points” to objects in NN
- Creating a 3D vector representation of the environment all in NN
- Planner optimization using NN / Monte Carlo Tree Search (MCTS)
- Change from processed images to “photon count” / raw image
- Change from single image perception to surround video
- Merging of city, highway and parking lot stacks a.k.a. Single Stack

Lex Fridman Interview of Elon. Starting with FSD related topics.

Here is a detailed explanation of Beta 11 in "layman's language" by James Douma, interview done after Lex Podcast.

Here is the AI Day explanation by in 4 parts.

screenshot-teslamotorsclub.com-2022.01.26-21_30_17.png

Here is a useful blog post asking a few questions to Tesla about AI day. The useful part comes in comparison of Tesla's methods with Waymo and others (detailed papers linked).

Last edited:
Some more observations on 11.3.3:

Good
Lane keeping and lane changes were super smooth.
I really like the new visualizations and the text that tells you what the car is doing. It makes the system much more transparent.
I also really like that when you suddenly disengage FSD, there is a pop up now that asks you what went wrong and let's you enter feedback by voice.
11.3.3 seems to have fixed a right turn. It used to be very wobbly on 10.69 but is now butter smooth on 11.3.3.

Bad
Still tried to make a protected left on a flashing yellow with incoming traffic. The car started creeping forward into the middle of the busy intersection! I disengaged because there was a lot of traffic and it would not have been safe to try to do the left turn.

Misc.
A cop car was in the left turn only lane helping a stalled car. So traffic was staying in the straight lane and making a protected left from the straight lane to go around the cop car and the stalled car. I disengaged because it was a special case and I did not know what FSD Beta would have done.

I wonder if anyone has experienced an AEB event with cross-traffic when not using FSD, like someone running a red. That was one of the major changes with V11.
It's obviously hard for us to compile data on, but it's a significant safety Improvement for the whole fleet. This is exactly the kind of thing that Tesla should pull from data upload clips, and tweet out a video compilation, after the software's been in the field for a few months. Probably they can reconstruct the FSD traffic visualization and insert that in split screen, so you can see the accident being avoided.

My commute is basically one long edge case so I don't get a whole lot out of FSD. Highway lanes that are dual-purpose of HOV/toll, with variable constraints depending on day of week and time of day. Highway ramps that are dangerous for human drivers, high curvature ramps leading into totally blind merge areas that are barely as long as a single car length. Ramp signal metering with HOV bypass lanes. Restricted bus lanes that abruptly transition into right-turn only lanes. Lots of terrible/missing road markings/striping. Yield signs that don't have anything to yield to. Construction all over the place, etc. None of these things work right currently.

I also suggested voice annunciation of the screen messages - I can't see them well enough - but I knew @Ramphex and others would hate it, so yes it needs to be optional.

My forum-inspired vision of @Ramphex driving through the neighborhood has him slow-cruising, holding his coffee with the music on, a ton of loud bass resonating up and down the street:
Boom Thugga Boom​
Took ma b**ches to da sto
Thugga Boom Boom Boom​
Imma a gangsta man fo sho

Well, something like that.

It wouldn't do to have that vibe interrupted by the Tesla turn-directions lady, reassuring everyone:

Boom Thugga Boom​
Took m-APPROACHING STOP LINE-​
Thugga Boom Boo- WAITING OUR TURN-​
Imma gangst-PROCEEDING SAFELY-​

😅😅 that second part is exactly what I can see happening. I don’t want any bi*ch to interrupt when I’m listening to Mozart.

You know how many turns I’ve missed while driving because I have voice turned off for the navigation? Obviously because I’m too busy looking at the road nonstop and not the screen….

What would be nice is a chime feature, it would do a subtle chime when there’s an upcoming turn or a message on the dash.

When I checked for the update, mine is still showing March 26th date. 🤔

I experienced this behavior first hand today! Went to the software tab. It "checked" and then the date was didn't change. I repeated that process 3-4 times and eventually it worked (the date updated to today, but I did not get V11 big sad...).

I assume Tesla's API is just flakey and the car handles errors by just not updating the "last checked for updates" timestamp (and not otherwise indicating an error). Maybe that's why they need to rate limit us on checking! LOL.

I really don't get why this is hard from Tesla's end. A small database + lightweight servers could easily store VINs + the latest version available for that car and serve up thousands of requests per second. That whole dataset is small enough to just keep in memory...

I experienced this behavior first hand today! Went to the software tab. It "checked" and then the date was didn't change. I repeated that process 3-4 times and eventually it worked (the date updated to today, but I did not get V11 big sad...).

I assume Tesla's API is just flakey and the car handles errors by just not updating the "last checked for updates" timestamp (and not otherwise indicating an error). Maybe that's why they need to rate limit us on checking! LOL.

I really don't get why this is hard from Tesla's end. A small database + lightweight servers could easily store VINs + the latest version available for that car and serve up thousands of requests per second. That whole dataset is small enough to just keep in memory...
One of my cars has updated to today’s date, the other is “stuck” on Mar 19. But until I get v11 on either car, I am hopeful it means nothing. I did try hard and soft resets but they didn’t fix the Mar 19 date.