Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - How to turn on seat heaters without turning on climate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In V11 is there a way to get to seat heaters WITHOUT turning on the climate control?

Now I have to go into climate control, WHICH TURNS IT ON, select the seat heaters, and then turn off climate control. If I turn off climate control first, it closes the window…
That’s the first thing I noticed! I often don’t want heat, and just want the seat heater. Sat there trying to figure it out, thinking I just be missing something.

Reactions: K5TRX and impastu
Who uses seat warmers instead of climate control? I do… it uses way less battery and I don’t really care for hot air.

But thanks for the helpful reply…
Leave the climate control on, turn off Auto and A/C, set temperature to "LO" to prevent the heater from turning on. This way you get a fan-only mode that uses very little energy. It's a bit annoying, but driving with no fan at all isn't a good idea anyway since the CO2 concentration in the cabin will go up on longer drives.

+1 , really stupid that I have to turn on HVAC to heat my seats. And sooo annoyed they took this simple feature away. Can’t imagine the stupidity ..

To all the ppl here saying why not turn on HVAC, u guys are missing the point — it should be our choice , not forced upon us lol

I live in SoCAL, and I turn on the heated seats almost daily during winter and crack my windows down — keeps me warm + I have fresh air , if needed. Now, I can’t do that , I’m pissed

Leave the climate control on, turn off Auto and A/C, set temperature to "LO" to prevent the heater from turning on. This way you get a fan-only mode that uses very little energy. It's a bit annoying, but driving with no fan at all isn't a good idea anyway since the CO2 concentration in the cabin will go up on longer drives.
Lol CO2 concentration? Please. No, I don’t want freezing outside air blowing into the cabin when I’m trying to warm my ass up.

Lol CO2 concentration? Please. No, I don’t want freezing outside air blowing into the cabin when I’m trying to warm my ass up.

In defense of the claim, improvements in vehicle cabin sealing has made this an actual concern. Doing some light background reading, the concern seems related to alertness rather than some sort of acute poisoning.

Voice command works for v11 for Seat Heaters

Set (XXX) Seat Heater to (YYY)
XXX=[Driver/My] / Passenger / Rear Left / Rear Middle / Rear Right, YYY=1 / 2 / 3, Low / Medium / High, or off. When in Auto Mode, increases setting but isn't effective until auto is turned off

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 8.23.53 PM.png

There are other updated voice commands added by other users who confirm they work 👍🏻

Source: Tesla Voice Commands

• Informative
Reactions: K5TRX and impastu
Voice command works for v11 for Seat Heaters

Set (XXX) Seat Heater to (YYY)
XXX=[Driver/My] / Passenger / Rear Left / Rear Middle / Rear Right, YYY=1 / 2 / 3, Low / Medium / High, or off. When in Auto Mode, increases setting but isn't effective until auto is turned off

View attachment 748743

There are other updated voice commands added by other users who confirm they work 👍🏻

Source: Tesla Voice Commands
Voice commands are a huge pain in the ass vs just pushing a button on the main screen real quick.. no one wants to deal with voice commands.. Elon needs to fix this with an update and I’m sure he will

In defense of the claim, improvements in vehicle cabin sealing has made this an actual concern. Doing some light background reading, the concern seems related to alertness rather than some sort of acute poisoning.
Exactly. CO2 concentrations over 1000 ppm can cause drowsiness, which is obviously not a good thing for the driver. If you turn the fan off completely, the concentration rises quickly to that level in modern cars (even worse when more than one occupant is in the car).

One could use the mobile app on the phone, I know this is not as safe as a button on the display. It seems odd as Tesla is under the scrutiny of NHTSA and they have burred essential controls under layers of menus. They did add quick access to entertainment, now that's safe. Sarcasm aside I do use the app for seat heaters before going to the garage, but then must fumble around turning on heat turning off seat heater then turning off heat while trying to drive on icy roads

I'm one of the few that doesn't hate the new UI. 95% of the time i set the climate and seat heaters before I even enter the car. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this. Whether I'm at work or at the grocery store, I open the app and turn on climate before I enter the car. I don't want to mess with anything when I'm ready to drive. Just my point of view.

You'll notice that the article is talking about recirculation mode. That is not what is being addressed here.

I used to be able to pre heat the seats and steering wheel on my app. But now I can only turn on the seat heater and steering wheel heater with the climate.
Does anyone know how to fix this?
That's news to me. On my 3, I could never turn on the seat heaters without turning on the HVAC too. It was one of the first "bug reports" I filed after taking delivery of the car in 2018, back when using that command actually did something.

• Informative
Reactions: impastu