Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4 hardware? New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
Wife needs a new car, and it will be a Model Y. However 2 quick questions, that my searching hasn't really resulted in a solid answer.

1. How do we make 100% sure the car is HW4?
Where/what do I check on the car?

2. Does the performance Y and long range Y, share the EXACT same suspension? I know the wheels/tires are different, but are the control arms, sway bar links, springs, shocks, etc. the same? I know it's lower, so maybe shorter springs?

We want a performance, but not at the expense of a smoother ride.
I actually despise the (highway/rough road) ride of her 2019 Model 3, which is now no longer with us.

thanks everyone!

if anyone has any longer loans at a low rate, feel free to share. From this, we'd probably go 72 months.

we can refi anytime, hopefully rates drop in the future. but even 6% beats liquidating other assets.

It looks like the performance uses a different part number for the rear Damper Assembly, so that answers... that. ugh.
same w/front.

Ideally we can test drive both back to back.

I have two 2023 Model Y Performance vehicles. The suspension is fantastic - don’t listen to folks that complain because it doesn’t ride like a Lexus. The extra speed and sportiness is well worth it over the long range.

As for the HW4, suggest you google and watch videos on YouTube, like here:

Reactions: zoomer0056
Wife needs a new car, and it will be a Model Y. However 2 quick questions, that my searching hasn't really resulted in a solid answer.

1. How do we make 100% sure the car is HW4?
Where/what do I check on the car?

2. Does the performance Y and long range Y, share the EXACT same suspension? I know the wheels/tires are different, but are the control arms, sway bar links, springs, shocks, etc. the same? I know it's lower, so maybe shorter springs?

We want a performance, but not at the expense of a smoother ride.
I actually despise the (highway/rough road) ride of her 2019 Model 3, which is now no longer with us.

thanks everyone!

if anyone has any longer loans at a low rate, feel free to share. From this, we'd probably go 72 months.

we can refi anytime, hopefully rates drop in the future. but even 6% beats liquidating other assets.

It looks like the performance uses a different part number for the rear Damper Assembly, so that answers... that. ugh.
same w/front.

Ideally we can test drive both back to back.

2019 Model 3 is (ride, road comfort, noise) awful - awful in these aspects (good solid car otherwise - which if I had known I may likely have not bought it). Autopilot is very worth it. Solid tech otherwise and very safe car.

Y 2023 LR 19” seems ok - not super good but passable in my opinion as far as road noise and feeling the bumps on the road. Performance Y on test drive still was noisy and rather hideous due to how you could feel every single thing on the road. I did 2 test drives for both LR 19” and P version on same roads. I’ve come to realize it’s just the heavier weight of Tesla - which Tesla has not found a workaround for yet. May be 4680 battery helps it shed some of that weight and feel bit premium as far as feeling the road and overall suspension and ride comfort. Pretty much all other SUVs (ICE I mean) would feel very very good as far as feeling the road and stiffness compared to Y.
One thing though 2023 Y will be couple levels above 2019 M 3 (suspension, height of Y, quicker UI, new octovalve thing and improved battery efficiency, and most importantly 2 things- the road noise is much less, and power trunk).
On the flip side, due to missing USS and radar - 2023 Y could be a huge letdown while using autopilot/cruise; Phantom braking is minimal on my 3 and also parking in tight space is ok (not the best but ok). This has prevented me from upgrading to Y.

2. Does the performance Y and long range Y, share the EXACT same suspension...
Here's the rear and front shocks of May 2023 Fremont built MYP.

Anybody with comparable 2023 MYLR to share?

Attachments

• 20230608_174431.jpg
    20230608_174431.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 20230608_175915.jpg
    20230608_175915.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 213
I just picked up my 2023 June-build, Freemont-factory MYLR. It has HW4, but the only way I knew was when I actually saw the car. I would have gone for the MYP but for the lowered suspension. I have a hideous angle on my driveway apron and my Model 3 scraped its tail every day, so that was a non-starter for me. If I really want to shave 0.6 seconds off the 0-60, Telsa will be happy to take $2000 from me. Not P-fast, but also, not lowered or with a harsher ride.

The shocks on my MYLR are different than the P-specific ones you show. Different part numbers. My front shows its for a dual motor (DM) and the rears are for a Dual Motor or RWD. No surprise that the suspensions would be different for the P.

Attachments

• MYLRfront.jpeg
    MYLRfront.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 196
  • MYLRrear.jpeg
    MYLRrear.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 211
Test drove a Long Range with HW4. Ride is nicer than the 2019 Model 3. But not nearly as nice as my X ;)

Everyone said the Performance will ride more 'sporty' aka harsh for me, so ordering a long range tonight.

thanks everyone. Tesla #6 for us. With the Truck-that-never-comes, on order!

I won't give my review, there are plenty, but I will say, 2023 vs 2019. The changes (improvements) are impressive.
She was hoping to hold out for a Rivian R2S, with NACS, but since the 3 was totaled, needed a car now.

Test drove a Long Range with HW4. Ride is nicer than the 2019 Model 3. But not nearly as nice as my X ;)

Everyone said the Performance will ride more 'sporty' aka harsh for me, so ordering a long range tonight.

thanks everyone. Tesla #6 for us. With the Truck-that-never-comes, on order!

I won't give my review, there are plenty, but I will say, 2023 vs 2019. The changes (improvements) are impressive.
She was hoping to hold out for a Rivian R2S, with NACS, but since the 3 was totaled, needed a car now.
Did you figure out how you're going to make sure you get a HW4?

I just recently downgraded to 19” on michelin sport all season 275/40/19 just because of the rougher daily ride be either local roads or highways on my 2022 MYP, big difference on ride quality, is not mercedes benz ride quality yet but much better than before now