Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v8.1 2018.6.1 64efac and now no Nav ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can try hotspotting with your phone, why not?
Put an extra battery pack charger on it to keep it live.
The car's USB and cigarette lighter socket go dead when car is off.

Its not clear to me if once the car has awoken its urge to update maps, if it keeps trying at every wifi opportunity thereafter to finish the deed... or if it gives up and goes dormant waiting for some new stimulus to wake the urge to try again. In other words, just because you get wifi connected will it start up on its own, or was there something about riding the tails of a new firmware push that is needed to poke maps downkoad into action?

I guess once you're in a good wifi position, can't hurt to call Tesla and ask for a requeuing of the firmware install.

You can try hotspotting with your phone, why not?
Put an extra battery pack charger on it to keep it live.
The car's USB and cigarette lighter socket go dead when car is off.

Its not clear to me if once the car has awoken its urge to update maps, if it keeps trying at every wifi opportunity thereafter to finish the deed... or if it gives up and goes dormant waiting for some new stimulus to wake the urge to try again. In other words, just because you get wifi connected will it start up on its own, or was there something about riding the tails of a new firmware push that is needed to poke maps downkoad into action?

I guess once you're in a good wifi position, can't hurt to call Tesla and ask for a requeuing of the firmware install.
IME monitoring my data consumption, as long as “Always Connected” is checked, your car will maintain a continuous wifi connection to your phone as long as the phone is alive. I just manually connect it after putting the car in Park, and leave the car once I see the wifi bars.

It will usually transfer around a 100MB upon first connect (that seems to be anonymous snapshot submission) and then after 5-10 minutes it’ll start downloading anything the mothership has pushed to it.

• Funny
Reactions: Bigtanuki
I got a call back from Tesla and they will be coming to my workplace with a loaner and picking up my car to bring back to the service center. They said they are offering this "valet service" since I was just at the service center yesterday.

They will diagnose and fix the problem once they get it back to the mothership. They still have not said what is wrong. No mention of maps not being downloaded or anything. I mentioned what was talked about in this forum and all they said was it could be a number of things.

They'll be coming on Friday. The car may be returned the same day or may take longer. I'll report back after this is done.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Updating and "closing" this thread I started.

The fix was to get the maps database downloaded to the car. I was able to get this done without bringing the car to SC.

Last night I put a wifi access point in the room next to the car (directly above it). Went to the car, got it to detect networks, picked that one.. connected. Strong bars of connection. Hoping that partially downloaded maps would finish the job.

This morning I woke up to a car showing this message (yeah!):

IMG_20180301_063126.jpg

From this point forward, navigation initializes fine and all function is back, blue line routing and everything.

The only sad part is the maps did not contain the most recent freeway interchanges and segments that I've been driving for the last 1.5 years...

An observation (that is new to me) is the automatic switching between wifi and LTE as I enter/leave the garage. It's seamless. So long as the strong wifi network is defined, it will find it when in the zone and click over to use that network. I was able to use the App and visit my car and do all the things while it was on wifi. This was the way I verified my wifi connection was good with the car. The car also shows a green check mark on the wifi network name in a list when it has connected.

There wasn't an obvious thing telling me which version of maps are now installed, unlike firmware versions.

Now that the maps are updated. I'll turn off wifi in the car again.. probably for a couple more years or until I hear that maps are being pushed again.

Last edited:
Well... re-open the thread.

That lasted a day.

So weird maps and nav and routing were fine. Until the end of the work day when I returned to my car and found this on the display:

IMG_20180301_163842.jpg

OK'ing that away... and trying a bit of nav... I can speak or type in destinations and they resolve, the map point appears on the console, no blue line routing, etc... and I get this in the turn-by-turn area:
IMG_20180301_164006.jpg

At least it's telling me I need service right in the turn-by-turn area.

And if I press on the red exclamation I get the dialog box again, and can dismiss it away.

Before (when started this thread) I'd just get a spinning circle and it seemed to try forever to route. It didn't seem to know it needed service. Now, it doesn't spin at all, just shows this service messages.

In summary, new map download over wifi made the problem go away for a day. Problem is back in slightly different form, but essentially same issue - no route planning. Reboots don't help.

I'm back with SC on remedy.

I hear Tesla has an upcoming major map and navigation upgrade. That seems like it may be a backstop position... getting that new firmware and map when it comes.. while I try getting this version to work again.

@scottm Just to report back on what happened with me, they picked up my car and brought it to the SC on Friday. On Saturday I went to pick it up and here is what the invoice says:

Concern: Customer states that the vehicle is showing the maps and location but will not navigate

Corrections: Update Navigation Maps Using Toolbox

A firmware update was performed to resolve the navigation's inability to load.

I had the exact same problem as you. I was not able to speak to a technician and when I asked the customer service person about what was wrong, she just read what it said on the invoice. I guess the maps and/or firmware was update. Hopefully this will help in whether or not you want to make the trip to the SC.

Woke up my car greeting me with this on the console today:
new maps.jpg

Short lived celebration... even after rebooting some more... I'm getting messages that I need service:
nav service.jpg

So I think Tesla re-queued the maps yesterday... and wifi still working in my garage last night permitted the download...

Relayed the information about this experience back to SC just now.

Thank goodness I know my way to work everyday, or I'd be lost without nav! :rolleyes:

@scottm Just to report back on what happened with me, they picked up my car and brought it to the SC on Friday. On Saturday I went to pick it up and here is what the invoice says:

Concern: Customer states that the vehicle is showing the maps and location but will not navigate

I had the exact same problem as you. I was not able to speak to a technician and when I asked the customer service person about what was wrong, she just read what it said on the invoice. I guess the maps and/or firmware was update. Hopefully this will help in whether or not you want to make the trip to the SC.

@sp2pac was your car on v8.1 2018 6.1.64efac when the problem erupted, and after the service, what level of firmware did you find they reloaded. (What's on it now?)

• Informative
@sp2pac was your car on v8.1 2018 6.1.64efac when the problem erupted, and after the service, what level of firmware did you find they reloaded. (What's on it now?)

My car was at the SC when it updated to v8.1 2018 6.1.64efac. After I picked it up is when I experienced the problem. When I took it back to the SC and they fixed it, it still had the same version as before. I'm guessing it's because I wasn't connected to wifi and it updated without the maps, just like your situation. Then when I took it back to the SC they used the Toolbox to force the maps in.

It's weird that it says you have been updated to the latest maps but then says you need service.

The next time you drive, check the bottom middle of the maps where it shows the name of the street and city you are at. When I first experienced the problem, I was at the Burbank, CA Service Center (this is where it updated the firmware), as I drove the maps would move and the red arrow in the middle would move but the bottom middle still showed "Burbank" even though I wasn't there anymore. I'm guessing yours would show your home address since that's where you last updated the firmware, so it's kind of "stuck" at that point. You may need to make a trip the the SC?

What I was trying to determine from your SC description was if the firmware needed to be updated again (even the same version) after the map file reload using toolbox. If that's needed, it hasn't happened for me yet.

I got the firmware update which broke nav routing, then map repushes (until it finally got loaded over wifi), then nav routing worked for a day, then failed, then map repush over wifi, and that didn't fix routing... What's missing in my series of events is that I've never gotten a firmware update after the new map file was a success.

I'm going to ask SC today for a forced firmware OTA update.

What I was trying to determine from your SC description was if the firmware needed to be updated again (even the same version) after the map file reload using toolbox. If that's needed, it hasn't happened for me yet.

I got the firmware update which broke nav routing, then map repushes (until it finally got loaded over wifi), then nav routing worked for a day, then failed, then map repush over wifi, and that didn't fix routing... What's missing in my series of events is that I've never gotten a firmware update after the new map file was a success.

I'm going to ask SC today for a forced firmware OTA update.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. It's really weird that it worked for a day and then stopped.

Got it fixed!

And it has lasted more than one day, so I think we're good.

It did not require reloading firmware again.

The solution was service center going through some steps in diagnostics, which fixed it.

In the process, I was told this level of firmware had taken out nav for a range of more vintage cars like mine, and that engineering had figured out a fix and it's solved.

I can nav again with routing, yeah!

Reactions: sp2pac
I saved a trip to SC only because I got to do some things on the console, under close direction, that a normal person would never gain access to do. Let's just say I think I saw god through that screen, and god is good, and leave it at that.

No word from Tesla on futures of maps/nav. I mentioned it, kind of hinting maybe I'll take the new one if that was a viable way out of this problem... but got ignored as they focused on solving today's problem with what I've got. We know new maps/nav its coming.

Happy the SC didn't use the excuse and try sloughing off the problem with a "wait til next version is out". They used known methods, existing parts and versions, and got engineering to work on bugs and fixes with today's stuff when they ran out of ideas. All of which happened in my case and came together before my eyes.