Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v8.1 2018.6.1 64efac and now no Nav ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Got this update last night and applied it. v8.1 2018.6.1 64efac

Release notes seemed the same as last update, so not much new, maybe bug fixes.

Or introducing new bug as the case may be?

Even after rebooting both cluster and cosole...

Navigation won't make a route from car to destination. Everything else about nav is fine, I can speak a location, choose from a list of matches, it shows the target point on the map... and then sits at "Navigation system is initializing" twirling.. forever.

Other internet functions are fine, browser browses, Slacker plays songs..

Is it coincidence this broken nave just happened with software update?

Is it just me? Anyone else with broken nav today?

20180225_160047.jpg

Last edited:
cheers, thanks for checking

I'll give it a day to soak in the sun, and if it's the same tomorrow will call Tesla see if they can remote fix

The other thing I'll do in the meantime is clear all the past nav destinations it has stored in memory.

I'm off warranty, I wonder how that will go?

Turn car completely off and then back on. Will work.

Just tried that. Used the power off button.

Waited for all the relays to release and click and everything dark... waited a few seconds. Then pressed brake, powered up the car.

Nope. Nav doing same thing.

I was somewhat surprised how fast the console and cluster power up again when powering back up after doing a power off. They come back to life faster than doing a reboot!

Last edited:
I just tried deleting old nav destinations under "recent"... it used to be a lot faster deleting them.. now you must press and hold until you get an X and then X it off the list.

Before you could "woodpecker" your finger in one spot as you hit the X to delete it others slid up on the list with their X's ready to hit on the same spot on the UI. Now, it's so slow to delete old entries... I gave up after a couple dozen.

Clearing old entries used to be a mythical remedy for navigation issues. "Filling up the nav memory".

Had similar problem with this update, my gps got stuck at location but came back after a reboot the first time. Second time it didn't and I called support. Long story short what fix it for me (at least for the past 2 days) is a long reboot (1 minutes both scroll wheels pressed non stop as recommended by my SC guy).

Well, sadly, long reboot of console (both scrollwheels held for 1 minute) did not help.

Looks like a call to Tesla..
I have had this problem about 4-5 times since I got my car Sept. 28, 2017.

The only thing that has "consistently" worked for me is to call Tesla "and get the right person" to have my GPS Reset OTA. You will generally get someone that will have you reboot the console (like you did) and then maybe reboot the IC which you did not do. Neither of these ever worked for me. But it is something that they will ask. So, I generally do that before I call so I can say that I already did that and to move on.

When you get the right person they will have to pull off the road to a safe place and then have to POWER OFF you CAR. They will then send a GPS Reset to your car. You will then power on the car and the problem for me is always fixed.

However, I do think there is something to the POWER OFF sequence that is worth a try before calling. Again, you could do all three while trying to get a hold of the right person.

Yup, did all the basics, as reported up thread...

Even after rebooting both cluster and cosole...

Just tried that. Used the power off button.

Waited for all the relays to release and click and everything dark... waited a few seconds. Then pressed brake, powered up the car.

sadly, long reboot of console (both scrollwheels held for 1 minute) did not help

Call is in to Tesla. Going to get a call-back and someone to look at the car OTA this afternoon.

The problem here is not about GPS ... the car knows where it is, and tracks on the center console map as the red arrow as we turn and drive down streets.. So google maps and GPS are working.

The problem I'm seeing is "Navigation Failing to Initialize" ... the car can't determine and show a route to take between the car and a chosen destination. Choosing a destination by voice or picking off the list works fine, it finds it in the world and shows as a point on the center console map. Just no blue road to get there. And the mini-nav panel (left side instrument cluster) is also not coming up.

Everything about nav function seems to be working "just fine", except, you know, the parts that shows you how to get there. :rolleyes:

Maybe the cure is GPS reset and this will catch the problem... we'll see.

Last edited:
OK heard from Tesla.

First thing tried doing a "deeper reboot" ... still no go.

Deeper look OTA revealed "maps had only been 1% loaded with the most recent firmware update and that's the issue". I guess this firmware version that is the subject of this thread is bringing along with it new maps! Woo Hoo! Haven't had new maps for years. And there's a reason for that, read on...

Discussed the repair action: service rescheduled the firmware update... the scheduled update popup should appear again and I'm told to have the car connected to wifi when it updates this time because "the car must be connected to wifi in order to get the maps that's the only way they're downloaded."

Well that also explains why I haven't gotten independent map updates for a couple years.. they changed them to wifi only. I never use the wifi connection capability of the car. I do recall getting a couple map updates early on over the internet on 3G connection so it's something they used to do, but I guess no longer.

So I'll be turning on wifi for tonight's re-application of the firmware. And for all future firmware updates, whenever I see the "schedule the update" popup I will select the 2:30a.m. and ensure wifi is turned on.

Let's see if this all goes as planned and fixes it for tomorrow.

So everything proceeded as planned, got the car in the garage and wifi enabled - by the way it took some head scratching to find wifi settings.. you must press the internet connection antenna bars icon on the very top row to bring up a panel that let's you use wifi. Once wifi is connected, you see wifi antenna arcs of strength as the icon, instead of LTE stack of vertical bars of strength.. I digress. .

Once wifi was enabled, I launched the software update using the "apply it now" feature... I think in order for the yellow timeclock to even appear with a pending update dialog, the firmware had already been downloaded to the car OTA during the day... So this wasn't really a test of wifi yet. Anyway, it started and went for about 15 minutes clicking and blinking everything on the car repeatedly and it satisfied itself, eventually bringing up a "checking status" dialog box... which went away and then brought up the usual release notes dialog box you see after an update happened. And I closed that box.

Tried nav, and same problem... stuck on trying to initialize.

So my suspicion is maps did not get downloaded over wifi at all. I've heard it's a long (big) file so it takes quite a while to get maps downloaded. Based on how fast the update finished... I'd say no maps happened within that session.

I let the car sit overnight thinking a long slow burn while connected to wifi might let the maps happen overnight.

But nope, in the a.m. still no joy.

Called Tesla again. Gave them a status and I brought up discussion about maybe forcing maps download, or scheduling just maps for a forced download, and not the whole firmware package. Was told, they can't do that OTA. Maps march to their own tune and download independently of firmware. What we tried here was to try and tease maps into coming down again. The only way to forcibly get new maps onto car "right now" is bring it in to SC and hook it up. Not OTA. I wish they could force maps, it would save me 3 hours drive each way to SC....

What did I learn? Up thread I implied this particular firmware version has been bundled with new maps... probably not the case. My car just so happened to get into a maps request and failed at the same time or nearly the same time as firmware was updating. Causing obliteration of maps file because I wasn't connected to wifi at the time all this was going on, or just too much was going on at the same time. The firmware finished fine the first time too... as it did the second time.

I am going to remain wifi connected every night.. hoping maps will re-trigger themselves. While I wait for an SC appointment date. If the maps find their way to my house and solves the nav issue before the appointment comes up, I'll cancel.

Last edited:
Tesla called me on their own initiative.

They've been dipping into my car a couple times today, and have reported that the map download status of the car is "in progress".

This is a good thing!

I learned a few more things while on the call
- the wifi connection was good, otherwise it wouldn't have gotten to "in progress" state
- map download "in progress" state is visible to Tesla (but not me)
- so the map download had began but is not finished, either I drove away, or it's a real slow pace
- the download process can be interrupted and does resume from where it left off
- once "in progress" there is no % done indicator, just that it is not done yet
- the file is large "data volume equivalent to a DVD",
- she mentioned the unix file format/tool that is used to move the file to the car and unpack it... but I didn't hear this clearly

So the current course of action is correct - leave the wifi enabled on the car, and hopefully after next few nights of parking at home the map download will have a chance to complete. I'll wait until end of week before booking SC appointment.

It's worth noting, this is the level of service I'm getting while off warranty. Nobody has put up any roadblock in my face saying I'm off warranty, and no expectation has been set there would be a charge for continuing to address this software issue with the car. They're just doing stuff to make it better.

I think I have the same problem as you.

I had my car at the service center this weekend for another issue and while it was there, it updated to the latest firmware (probably not on wifi). I just picked up the car and tried using the navigation to get back to work. The problem is the same as yours, I get the "Navigation system is initializing" message. I still see the map and where I am on the map, just not the blue line for the nav route.

I tried rebooting the MCU and IC. Still does not work.

I'm guessing I have the same issue as you and it needs to download the maps. My problem is I live in a condo and my wifi cannot reach my parking spot.

If I have the same issue as you, will my maps download OTA without wifi? Like right now I am at work, is it constantly downloading OTA or does it need to recognize I'm on wifi to start the download?

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
@sp2pac yours sounds just like my nav issue, no blue line routing, no left panel mini-nav window, and no battery projection status about trips in the energy consumption app, or center console when trying to route a trip (but can't).

I'm told maps download over wifi only, not via 4G/LTE OTA like we get firmware.

I think all Tesla service centers have wifi in them. I see my car has a wifi profile called "Tesla" that the SC added, or maybe comes from the factory that way. Hm..

But if you get the car to a SC, they can directly connect their tools to the car and probably do a quicker more assured job of loading maps "right now" with no wifi involved.

In the meantime, you are war driving for wifi hotspots... public or open networks (jeez that brings back memories) where you can park your car for hours. At work? Can you buy a wifi repeater and hang it out your condo window or plug it in near the car and try to make your home internet a bit better reach?

Last edited:
@scottm yes I think we are in the same boat, except for me not having wifi. Repeater is out of the question, too far from my unit.

Would I be able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot and have my car connect to that? Then i'll leave my phone in my car overnight and see if that will work. I have 50GBs of data on my phone so that should not be a problem. If I try this, will there even be any indication that it has downloaded the maps or will I just have to test the navigation again to see if it works? I guess I will call Tesla and schedule a firmware upgrade again.

There has to be a better resolution for this besides doing the above or going to the service center, where I just was hours ago. uggh.

@scottm yes I think we are in the same boat, except for me not having wifi. Repeater is out of the question, too far from my unit.

Would I be able to use my phone as a wifi hotspot and have my car connect to that? Then i'll leave my phone in my car overnight and see if that will work. I have 50GBs of data on my phone so that should not be a problem. If I try this, will there even be any indication that it has downloaded the maps or will I just have to test the navigation again to see if it works? I guess I will call Tesla and schedule a firmware upgrade again.

There has to be a better resolution for this besides doing the above or going to the service center, where I just was hours ago. uggh.
I’m an apartment dweller and kind of a wifi geek. I was going to set up a mesh network at my complex down to the garage, and offered to pay for the equipment and permitting for it, but management backed out. Oh well :)

At any rate, this is exactly what I do. I just hotspot my car to my phone while it’s parked outdoors during the workday.

Reactions: MelaniainLA