Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 Dash Cam Inconsistent Recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After doing some additional research, ArsTechnica pointed this out and said the fix was to manually stop recording (see How To Set Up The Dashcam In A Tesla Running Firmware v9.0 | CleanTechnica). Sorry for the long link and possible repost. I don’t see this posted anywhere. I will try this and share results.

RE: Drive size

Perhaps I missed a drive size requirement. However, I am leaning more toward theory that there is coding issue for stop/start of video. There may also be something to the USB drive performance specs. More observation/testing needed.

Last edited:
After doing some additional research, ArsTechnica pointed this out and said the fix was to manually stop recording (see How To Set Up The Dashcam In A Tesla Running Firmware v9.0 | CleanTechnica). Sorry for the long link and possible repost. I don’t see this posted anywhere. I will try this and share results.

Perhaps I missed a drive size requirement. However, I am leaning more toward theory that there is coding issue for stop/start of video. There may also be something to the USB drive performance specs. More observation/testing needed.
Thanks for this post.

Reactions: aloha1906

It only retains an hour of video, so only a couple of GB is necessary. Maybe more in the future, but anybody’s guess. I use a 32 stick myself, partitioned to roughly 24 and 8, with the 8 used for media files. The media partition never fails. But I have to reformat the TeslaCam partition frequently.

It only retains an hour of video, so only a couple of GB is necessary. Maybe more in the future, but anybody’s guess. I use a 32 stick myself, partitioned to roughly 24 and 8, with the 8 used for media files. The media partition never fails. But I have to reformat the TeslaCam partition frequently.

Interesting that you only have to format the TeslaCam partition. Please try the manual start/stop and share any success. If the issue is coding, that will be very nice.