Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v9 Dash Cam Inconsistent Recording

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar issues, sporadic recording and its days old when I check, and only from one single day. Despite showing the recording icon. Thinking it could be from using a pretty old drive? Trying out a new 32gb drive to see if it makes any difference.... either way think there are some bugs needed to be worked out.
In my case, I thought the dashcam icon had disappeared after I took out the stick while powering off the first time, but know it didn't the second time, so I restarted the MCU to make sure it was gone before re-inserting. So ATM, I don't yet know if it is sporadic or if I just locked up the process by using power off to remove stick without corruption. Using a Samsung BAR (not Plus) 64GB for this.

perhaps a USB to SD card converter would be better suited. Not sure many USBs are meant for handling dashcam footage with constant deleting/recording
I don't think the single dash cam recording currently provided by Tesla puts much of a load on flash drives to begin with. There isn't much flash storage that is "meant for handling" regular rewrites available in the consumer market, and I'm not certain there is any evidence that any random SD card is necessarily going to be better suited to it than any other random flash drive. Either solution will eventually fail due to the limits of the memory and should work fine until it doesn't. IMO, any failure to function properly while performance specifications are good enough and the device is otherwise working fine is far more likely to be the result of a bug in the programming or a compatibility with the OS than the result of a given form factor.

From experience, it seems like when you hit icon to save, it doesn't save the current 1 min of recording. A few times, I tap to save a few seconds after I saw something "interesting", only to find out that the last file of the 10 files I saved was just before it happened. So now I wait at least one minute before I hit to save.

Also if you park for a while, you will start losing the 60 minutes buffer files. Even though there is nothing new to record to overwrite, the car seems to delete out-dated buffer files.

My 2gb usb worked fine the first time I used it . The second drive it was not recording, despite touching the camera multiple times and watching the download aarow. when I plugged it into the computer it showed that the files were corrupt. I reformatted it again fat 32, when I plugged in the USB light flashes for a few seconds and then stops. The camera no longer shows up on the Screen. I have tried several times, and reformatted using several different apps.

It doesn’t seem like at this point it’s worth a whole lot of energy until they fix some of these bugs.

Recordings were working properly until I unplugged and connected to a desktop. Then the icon showed the gray X and I couldn’t get it to work again. I ended up reformatting the drive and creating the folder again. That seems to have done the trick, but I shouldn’t have to reformat it every time I disconnect the drive.

Reactions: UncaNed
I don't think the single dash cam recording currently provided by Tesla puts much of a load on flash drives to begin with. There isn't much flash storage that is "meant for handling" regular rewrites available in the consumer market, and I'm not certain there is any evidence that any random SD card is necessarily going to be better suited to it than any other random flash drive. Either solution will eventually fail due to the limits of the memory and should work fine until it doesn't. IMO, any failure to function properly while performance specifications are good enough and the device is otherwise working fine is far more likely to be the result of a bug in the programming or a compatibility with the OS than the result of a given form factor.
There are actually “Endurance” micro sd cards from Sandisk and Samsung that are specifically designed for dashcams. Now I don’t know what’s the difference in hardware but they market them as such (Samsung says theirs use MLC). They cost more than the non-endurance counterparts.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
I'm confused on how the dash cam works. Please clarify:
- Camera will record 1 mins videos and when full it will loop over the older files
- when you want to save a file, one has to press the camera icon and it'll save the current 1 min footage
- Camera will only record when car is on, meaning no parked footage (unless your sitting idle with car on)

are these correct?

I'm confused on how the dash cam works. Please clarify:
- Camera will record 1 mins videos and when full it will loop over the older files
- when you want to save a file, one has to press the camera icon and it'll save the current 1 min footage
- Camera will only record when car is on, meaning no parked footage (unless your sitting idle with car on)

are these correct?

Nope.
  • It makes 1 minute video files.
  • It keeps up to the last hour of video files. (That is a clock hour, so if you drive 30 minutes and wait one hour you will have no video left on the thumb drive.)
  • If you want to save files you tap the camera icon and it "archives" the prior 10 minutes of files. (But not the current minute.)
  • Yes, the camera only records while the car is on.

Defective/corrupted file recording issues seems to have been resolved in 2018.42.2, which I received yesterday.

It appears that when you press the icon to 'save' the last 10 minutes of footage, what it does is rename those last 10 "recent" files to "saved" files. It goes on overwriting to "recent", and doesn't touch the "saved" files until manually deleted on a computer.

Defective/corrupted file recording issues seems to have been resolved in 2018.42.2, which I received yesterday.

It appears that when you press the icon to 'save' the last 10 minutes of footage, what it does is rename those last 10 "recent" files to "saved" files. It goes on overwriting to "recent", and doesn't touch the "saved" files until manually deleted on a computer.

Seems fixed for me too

How about media files (mp3)? In my case, the camera records fine. But since V9 came on the scene with dash cam support, I cannot get any media files to play at all. Tried on a single stick, a partitioned stick, multiple sticks, and a single stick with only media files on board. Did we lose USB media as a source? It still shows up in the media player, although completely blank

How about media files (mp3)? In my case, the camera records fine. But since V9 came on the scene with dash cam support, I cannot get any media files to play at all. Tried on a single stick, a partitioned stick, multiple sticks, and a single stick with only media files on board. Did we lose USB media as a source? It still shows up in the media player, although completely blank

Works fine for me with 2 partitions--one for TeslaCam and one for music.

Tesla worked on this problem remotely for a while but could not clear the problem. They then asked me to bring the vehicle in. They did a full power off restart (drop 12V), updated the firmware, but still could not clear the problem. Ultimately they asked me if they could do a full factory reset on the car. I agreed, and that fixed the problem. All USB based files now show up and work fine. Now (of course) I m re-configuring the car to my preferences again.

Currently on 42.2. Using an 8gb SanDisk Cruzer, TeslaCam has worked. However, at about 1gb of usage, I get the grey camera with the x. Only way to resolve is reformatting the drive. This has occurred 3x now. So far as I can tell, there is no corruption when checking from a computer and the drive light pulses as if there is an attempted read/write activity when plugged in the vehicle.

Curious if people continue to experience this type the of failure.

Currently on 42.2. Using an 8gb SanDisk Cruzer, TeslaCam has worked. However, at about 1gb of usage, I get the grey camera with the x. Only way to resolve is reformatting the drive. This has occurred 3x now. So far as I can tell, there is no corruption when checking from a computer and the drive light pulses as if there is an attempted read/write activity when plugged in the vehicle.

Curious if people continue to experience this type the of failure.
Yep. I’ve been on 42.2 for a while and have the same experience. I am not holding my breath that this becomes usable anytime soon.