Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet gave my card key to another Tesla driver. It’s gone.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t worry too much. Tesla does not screw you on keys like other car manufacturers.

When I got my model 3 they were like $5 each. I think I got four extra because they were cheap and I am paranoid. Now I think they only sell them in the nice packaging and so they may be $20 each or something. Still stupid cheap...

I hope Tesla does not turn the screws on things like this later. It makes me happy to be a Tesla owner!

That sucks.

I bought this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z372GSP

I used a label maker to put my phone number and make/model/color of my car on it + a keyring. I keep it in my center console and will slide in my key card when I need to valet.

This is a really good idea. I've only had to valet once and they pretty much didn't know where to store my keycard. I was pretty surprised they didn't misplay it since they couldn't hang it on their key hook.

This is a really good idea. I've only had to valet once and they pretty much didn't know where to store my keycard. I was pretty surprised they didn't misplay it since they couldn't hang it on their key hook.

Yeah, I'm hoping my method with the labels on the card case will make it idiot-proof. We'll see!

I was at an event and saw the way valet was parking the cars. They were lunatics. I forcefully told them I am not handing my car over to you and that I’ll park in a spot where it won’t block anyone so they won’t have to move it. If I can help it, I will never valet my car.

I try to avoid valet at all cost. But sometimes it's just not possible.

Reactions: beto83
Oh it is avoidable...just don't drive anywhere that has a valet.

Sometimes I'm with my wife, it's cold/rainy and the place/restaurant only has valet parking. I don't mind street parking and walking a quarter mile, but my wife often has different priorities ;)

I've had pretty nice cars (BMW M3/similar) over the past 8-9 years, that I haven't wanted to valet. I think I've only had to do it once or twice since 2012.

He was tracked down by the restaurant, is now 2 hours away, and says he “deactivated” the card.
So, I have to spend the time to get a new one. ☹️

Make sure to go into your car and remove the key that was lost in the Locks menu. You will need a key card that you currently have that works in order to remove the key card that was lost. This makes it so that the key you lost can no longer operate your car.

I'm not sure how the other person "deactivated" anything. o_O

She picked a hotel a few month back that was valet only. Whole drive I'm nervous and GF is upset I keep talking about it so I shut up. Fast forward a few days when we get the car, I am grabbing something and come out and she is as white as a ghost and talking to the manager. Some how my passenger and back passenger white seats had black stains, looking like grease, on them, very noticable and of decent size.

We didn't even have to say a word to each other on the matter.....

Gotta fight hotel now. Still on the to do list.

Sometimes I'm with my wife, it's cold/rainy and the place/restaurant only has valet parking. I don't mind street parking and walking a quarter mile, but my wife often has different priorities ;)

I've had pretty nice cars (BMW M3/similar) over the past 8-9 years, that I haven't wanted to valet. I think I've only had to do it once or twice since 2012.
See you have options. New wife...that cooks. Problem solved.

You can see I was popular as a consultant.

No way he deactivated it. All he could do is add it to his car and then remove it. A card is a card. . Lol. Good grief people. What BS.

Yeah, just get another one. As long as you have one original one, you can add all the cards/phones you want.

Do delete it from your car and write it off as lesson learned. Labeling cards you give to people is an excellent. We never use valet.

I never trust any valet with my cars.

When my Model 3 was very new, I took it to the service center for some small due bill items. They gave me a Model S loaner over a weekend that my wife and I were taking a short trip out of town. The hotel had only valet, and I decided to use it only because they told me they had Tesla chargers down there and would charge it up for me.

The next morning the valet manager took me aside to apologize, their employee backed the Model S into a pole trying to charge it. Completely mangled the right rear quarter panel. He must have been reversing at a rather fast speed, it wasn’t a small dent.

They paid for the repairs, but it cost me many hours of time moving paperwork between the hotel and Enterprise over the next 3 months.