Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet gave my card key to another Tesla driver. It’s gone.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CSB: at a job, for several months, we had more employees than parking and no easy way to get more parking. the company hired a 'valet company' and we'd have to let them park our cars (in 'our' own company lot). they parked 2-in and even 3-in (deep) and had to keep all the keys, to shuffle cars around, anytime an employee had to leave early or for any reason. it was a huge hassle and costed a lot of time in the AM and PM.

one of my co-workers had his keys lost (ICE) by the valet. I think he had his wife drive in with a second key, else he'd be stuck there.

fortunately, they solved the problem a few months later, but during that time, we could not say 'no'. if you worked there, you had to give them your keys and then you could head up to your office and start your day.

(not a very common thing, in my experience. sometimes a company grows too fast; and this was their only real option, at the time).

• Disagree
Reactions: Char
He was tracked down by the restaurant, is now 2 hours away, and says he “deactivated” the card.

First of all, he didn't do anything.
It's up to you to deactivate the card's access to your car, and only YOU can do that.
He still has it, and should be able to mail it to you. Unless he is a total douche-bag.

Secondly, did you claim HIS card from the restaurant to have something to trade? If not, why not?

Tell the valet mgmt they owe you $10 plus shipping.

It was $16, plus tax, last September.
And I doubt the restaurant will do anything about it.
And the $$ amount involved is just not worth the hassle.

I agree the the valet service needs to compensate you for their mistake...

Oh, yeah, hire an attorney and go to court.
Someone will definitely be a "winner" in that process, though probably not you!

If a place is valet only, I'll walk, uber, or take public transit.

Or find another place!
Then tell the owners that they will not see any more of your business until they open up self-park options.
Customer feedback does wonders!

a

Look, if he has your card and you have his, who cares? Add his to your car and he does the reverse, delete the other card, and you are done. You have another card, right? They come with two.

The cards are interchangeable. As long as you have one that works, you can add all the cards and phones you want. Delete your ‘lost’ card he has and add his card you now have. It’s not like an ICE metal key, he can’t have a copy of it anywhere.

Yes, this should not happen. But unless he has his name engraved on the key card or something, who cares. They are interchangeable.

And as for valet treatment of cars, yeah, wish we could limit valet mode to 20 MPH (30 KPH) lol.

That sucks.

I bought this on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z372GSP

I used a label maker to put my phone number and make/model/color of my car on it + a keyring. I keep it in my center console and will slide in my key card when I need to valet.

I use this with a key ring attached so valets can hang it at their stands and attach tags to it like they sometimes do: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ3YU02/

The card holder has a label with the make, color, and license plate on it. I don't care that it identifies which car it belongs because that's the entire point, so there's no confusion. If someone is taking keys from a valet stand with the intent to steal cars, it's not like it's hard to figure out which keys open which cars by pressing buttons on the remotes anyway.

Most importantly, it'll be very obvious to the other driver that it doesn't belong to them if they get my card holder handed back to them.

He was tracked down by the restaurant, is now 2 hours away, and says he “deactivated” the card.
So, I have to spend the time to get a new one. ☹️

Haven't seen any response from you and do hope you deleted the key card from your car. Safest thing to do.

This is the key card holder with key ring I bought for valet purposes when I got my Model 3. As someone mentioned the valet station can have hooks and the ring gives it a place to hang from. The card stays in well. I keep it in my glove compartment and if I would need to I'll slip my key card into it. Haven't done valet but use it at our detailers and Tesla sevice center when dropping card off. I also later bought a key fob for my own use (for when it's cold and rainy and when the phone wasn't working as well as a key). I also believe in avoiding valet parking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9KJSCF

If you need extra key cards, Tesla's online store has them in stock. 2 for $25. I picked up a set sometime ago just to have on hand in case my husband or I lost ours.

Model 3 Key Card

Last edited: