Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am getting my P90DL on Friday, but as soon as l get it, I have got to head to the airport and be away for 1 week.

120km drive to airport
1 week at airport (no charging at airport)
120km drive home

How bad is the vampire drain on the model s? Will it make the trip no problem?

Thanks

Hi,

I am getting my P90DL on Friday, but as soon as l get it, I have got to head to the airport and be away for 1 week.

120km drive to airport
120km drive home

Thanks
I lose about 10km (typical range) a day, with "energy savings" off and "always on" selected (which can be changed in the settings->display menu on the car) plus I have a dashcam running 24/7 and software that continuously talks to my car via the API and prevents it from sleeping (VisibleTesla)

Even in that worst case scenario you'd use 310km so you won't have any issues.

If you need to leave it longer you can turn on energy savings and disable the "always on" and resist the urge to use the phone app to check on your car while you're away :D

Also see
where Bjørn left his car unplugged without issue for 27 days

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
My S is losing about 3% a day now. I have heard a low humming sound from under the front "tub". The circulating pumps are operating continuously. You can feel the lines vibrating. I suspect the pumps are three phase and run at medium frequency. It is the inverter that drives them that I can hear. A job for Tesla to fix.

Hi,

120km drive to airport
120km drive home

Thanks
You are about to get your first lesson in range anxiety control.
Assuming you start with your P90DL at 90%, you will get back home a week later with almost enough range to turn around and do the journey again....just dont do too much Ludicrous work.

Hi,

120km drive to airport
120km drive home

Thanks

It depends on what airport you are leaving the car at. Your Avatar Location only says Australia.
If you are parked outside in a cold climate, then I would say you may not make it back home.
Your P90D, depending on how the battery has been looked after and how many K's the car has done, will give you around 320K's of real driving. If you use 240 to the airport and return, you will only have around 80k's left. Depending on the outside temperature, you have just over 10k's per day to allow for vampire drain. Switching all power off from your settings will help. Should be just ok, but you also should have a plan B in case - look at Plugshare to see if there is a public charger on your way home - even if it just tops up 10 or 20 k's extra if you aren't going to make it.
You should start your journey with 100% of charge.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman
It depends on what airport you are leaving the car at. Your Avatar Location only says Australia.
If you are parked outside in a cold climate, then I would say you may not make it back home.
Your P90D, depending on how the battery has been looked after and how many K's the car has done, will give you around 320K's of real driving. If you use 240 to the airport and return, you will only have around 80k's left. Depending on the outside temperature, you have just over 10k's per day to allow for vampire drain. Switching all power off from your settings will help. Should be just ok, but you also should have a plan B in case - look at Plugshare to see if there is a public charger on your way home - even if it just tops up 10 or 20 k's extra if you aren't going to make it.
You should start your journey with 100% of charge.
My old 85D used to give me a lot more than 320km of country driving, not that it happened often. A 90 should be slighly more.

My old 85D used to give me a lot more than 320km of country driving, not that it happened often. A 90 should be slighly more.
That's about average to what I get after 4 years. SC mainly, not afraid to go 100% if needed or 0% With hypermiling if necessary. Terrain, tyres, wind, cold etc all have effects on range. Calculating at 320 for me is prudent. Having said that, I did drive from Mitsubishi HO in Adelaide with 100% to Horsham at 0% once by hypermiling.