TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vampire drain

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Simbul, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Simbul

Simbul Member

Hi,

I am getting my P90DL on Friday, but as soon as l get it, I have got to head to the airport and be away for 1 week.

120km drive to airport
    1 week at airport (no charging at airport)
    120km drive home

How bad is the vampire drain on the model s? Will it make the trip no problem?

Thanks

2. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

I lose about 10km (typical range) a day, with "energy savings" off and "always on" selected (which can be changed in the settings->display menu on the car) plus I have a dashcam running 24/7 and software that continuously talks to my car via the API and prevents it from sleeping (VisibleTesla)

Even in that worst case scenario you'd use 310km so you won't have any issues.

If you need to leave it longer you can turn on energy savings and disable the "always on" and resist the urge to use the phone app to check on your car while you're away :D

Also see where Bjørn left his car unplugged without issue for 27 days

3. cynix

cynix Member

I recently left my P85D unplugged for 18 days. "Energy saving" was on, and "always connected" was unticked. The car was parked underground so it did not have internet connectivity. It started with ~320km typical range, and it had 195km left when I came back.

4. Mark E

Mark E Member

I've parked at the airport for 5 days with energy saving on, always connected turned off and resisted checking the car to let it sleep. The range drop was less than 20km typical.

Which airport?

5. Simbul

Simbul Member

Thanks for the info everyone.

Will be at Brisbane International.

6. Keiron

Keiron Member

Hi Simbul

I leave my Model S at Tullamarine(Jetport) regularily. Often leave it for 7-14days with about a 10% loss rate when left static over 14 days.. Although not an issue at Jetport now they have a destination charger. :D

7. Mark E

Mark E Member

There is a Tesla charger at the QANTAS Valet parking if you are really in trouble.

8. cynix

cynix Member

10% over 14 days is amazingly little. What am I doing wrong?