Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver BC VIN .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really seems like a car that begs to be driven in the Summer and not spend it's first 6 months with me playing in the rain.

Yes, and I really hope you get your vehicle soon. I'm so glad we got ours before summer, instead of "late 2018" which is the date I was first told.

We took our 3 to Osoyoos yesterday, and today my wife just left our cabin in Tulameen for Whistler with her brother and his wife from New Zealand. It's too bad the Chademo adapter doesn't work yet for it yet, especially with the supercharger barren Hwy #3 -- but it has a Chademo in every town we can't use yet. Fortunately, the 3 has such good efficiency (compared to my S85) especially with the aero wheels, that just the time spent in town at the L2, then at the HPWCs at the wineries, no superchargers were required -- and even without them we would have made it from Tulameen and back. But it was good to keep it parked at a L2 and keep it cool at near 40 degrees yesterday. With only a 30 amp L2 and air working hard, it barely charges, but at least you don't lose any charge and don't come back to a burning hot vehicle. I would toggle on/off the climate from the app to allow it to charge, then cool, as we were on the beach or in town. Three of the four public L2 EVSEs were ice'd yesterday (at the foot of the town beside the Watermark hotel) -- but only two of them have signs that read "2 hour parking only unless charging". So I guess they are allowed to park there and parking was sparse since it's right on the beach. I was lucky one was open and cursed the people who ice'd them but as my brother-in-law pointed out, he wouldn't know not to park there -- so they really need better signage unless the plan is to also allow them to be used just as parking.

As someone who has been in outside sales for close to 20 years...

Practically all experts said it was next to impossible to start a new car company in the US that could survive and compete with domestic and imports. You need service centers, sales reps, and so much more that the costs are through the roof, and the cash burn to get started still may be impossible to get over -- since Tesla is currenly teetering on the brink -- and I doubt the companies most people have worked for in sales are comparable at all. Tesla is flying by the seat of its pants and plans change daily -- in uncharted territory few companies have been -- and even fewer sales' staff.

That's not to excuse the lack of information and delays you are getting but, unfortunately, that's part of the package with Tesla. If there were not these growing pains and associated complaints, I would be surprised. What surprises me more, is that Tesla is still alive in its present form, with Musk at the head (especially lately -- but don't get me wrong, I want him there). It will not go bankrupt, in my opinion at least, since far too much is invested, but the vultures are definitely circulating and hoping to pick up a carcass that will pay off huge in the future, like Mel Karmazin of Liberty Media did when he made a last-minute deal with Sirius XM, whose impending bankruptcy would have been the second biggest Chapter-11 filing of 2009 -- but that never happened. It also won't with Tesla either (again, in my opinion) but what we know as fact is that Musk is hanging on to a cliff by his finger nails while who so many companies have record cash holdings looking for a deal to invest in --- all while you're concerned about getting your car and criticizing how bad Tesla is compared to the companies you've worked for. In reply, I say unfair comparison. Still I feel for you. I'm just providing some perspective.

Last edited:
all while you're concerned about getting your car and criticizing how bad Tesla is compared to the companies you've worked for. In reply, I say unfair comparison. Still I feel for you. I'm just providing some perspective.
i'm not really sure you read my post. Yes, i'm disappointed with the lack of communication, hopefully it improves over time. And yes, I do believe that Tesla should hire more experienced sales professionals to help the overall sales experience for their customers. I'm pretty sure I made no mention or comparison to any company I worked for vs Tesla.

I don't think things are as bleak at Tesla as the picture you've painted but if they are, I really hope that they can pull things through as companies like them are what will help drive our planet into a new direction of sustainability.

Reactions: T3l5aFan
I don't think things are as bleak at Tesla as the picture you've painted

All the ways that Tesla could go bankrupt in the next year

I said "It will not go bankrupt, in my opinion at least..". So to call the picture I've painted "bleak" - when it is actually a favourable one -- compared to many, such the article above, gave me a chuckle. I guess that's because I've been ready too many articles from the shorts lately while looking at Tesla's financials. How Tesla can sell a $35kUS vehicle and make enough of a profit to survive is beyond me. I guess that's why you still can't buy one, and they likely will make every effort to sell very few of them, at least for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
All the ways that Tesla could go bankrupt in the next year

I said "It will not go bankrupt, in my opinion at least..". So to call the picture I've painted "bleak" - when it is actually a favourable one -- compared to many, such the article above, gave me a chuckle. I guess that's because I've been ready too many articles from the shorts lately while looking at Tesla's financials. How Tesla can sell a $35kUS vehicle and make enough of a profit to survive is beyond me. I guess that's why you still can't buy one, and they likely will make every effort to sell very few of them, at least for the foreseeable future.
A 35k car that has been proven to be 30% profitable goes a long way towards that.

A 35k car that has been proven to be 30% profitable goes a long way towards that.

I'm not sure I consider a tear down and pricing parts a true reflection of profit since there's so many other variables that it fails to take into account but let's hope so.

Back on topic... those waiting on RWD Model 3s please keep us posted. If they really are transporting ones from back east that missed out on the rebate and were cancelled, we should hopefully see them arrive soon. I doubt they'd take them down south since they're made specifically for Canada.

As it's the first of the month I decided to call Tesla today to get an update and this is what I was told.

- Typically it will take 3-6 weeks for a VIN to be generated
- They are contacting people via email predominantly right now due to the volume of deliveries.
- The estimate of 2-4 months for delivery isn't realistic and we should have our vehicles faster than that

I still don't have a VIN assigned but based off what i've been told it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks.

I'm taking all of this with a big grain of salt and am not getting my hopes up at this time.

As it's the first of the month I decided to call Tesla today to get an update and this is what I was told.

- They are contacting people via email predominantly right now due to the volume of deliveries.
- The estimate of 2-4 months for delivery isn't realistic and we should have our vehicles faster than that

I still don't have a VIN assigned but based off what i've been told it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks.

I'm taking all of this with a big grain of salt and am not getting my hopes up at this time.

Tesla store or internal sales queue?

Thanks man. We configured at the same time so hopefully in next two weeks we will have the good word.

Reactions: Koflach

We never got our VIN until shortly before delivery, but people here posted that you could see your VIN before they told it to you by logging in at the Tesla store and putting a HPWC in the basket. Sure enough, when I did that it was there and that was a couple of weeks before delivery or perhaps longer -- I can't really recall now -- but it was there first. Can you see a VIN there?

We never got our VIN until shortly before delivery, but people here posted that you could see your VIN before they told it to you by logging in at the Tesla store and putting a HPWC in the basket. Sure enough, when I did that it was there and that was a couple of weeks before delivery or perhaps longer -- I can't really recall now -- but it was there first. Can you see a VIN there?

They apparently fixed that trick a while ago.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I remember back in Apr/May, I came across Tesla hiring posts. There were looking for temporary delivery assistant or something. (I forgot the term). In the description, it says working in a delivery center. I wasn’t paying much attention because I was not planning to get the car until standard battery rolls out. If they were to do a batch like PNE last time, i think we can keep an eye on their job posting as a hint.

I remember back in Apr/May, I came across Tesla hiring posts. There were looking for temporary delivery assistant or something. (I forgot the term). In the description, it says working in a delivery center. I wasn’t paying much attention because I was not planning to get the car until standard battery rolls out. If they were to do a batch like PNE last time, i think we can keep an eye on their job posting as a hint.
i'm not sure if we'll see something like that this time as the number of people still waiting for their model 3 is significantly reduced. Good idea though.

If I heard it correctly from the financial call yesterday the current margin on these cars are at 5%? I wonder with margin this low, does it make sense for Tesla to ship cars up to the North. Of course I hope that’s not the case.
Why not? it's like shipping cars to the Washington State. Like T3I4aFan has pointed out, the price we pay already accounts for the exchange (high end I might add) and delivery fee should cover the transportation cost. I listened on the call too and margins are expected to be 15% by Q3 and higher later on. They still need funds to keep the moving forward, the additional expense was the initial ramp up, but once things have been ironed out, margins should improve.

Reactions: T3l5aFan