Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vandalised Battery Pack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another possibility could be that they did intend on towing your vehicle for whatever reason, realized they damaged the vehicle and stopped to not be liable for damages.
That's the most reasonable thing we could think of, the strange thing is we know it happened within a particular time frame which was during lockdown. We went to maybe three places outside of home and none of those areas we parked were illegal or past the time restrictions. We think we know which location it was at, but really wish we had the sentry footage to know which company.

It was confirmed by multiple professionals that is wasn't something we drove over or there would be scrapes is certain areas. All marks were equal distance from the outside edges and the back wheels. The all said a tow truck.
Having looked more at the photos it doesn't appear obviously to be tow truck damage. Did anybody go over a speed bump too fast?
This is not a speed bump, or the car going over anything - the mark goes laterally from left side to right side, on both rocker panels (one more intense than the other).
6906FE7F-6ECD-4F4F-8407-68208B25BDB9.jpeg

An update. After A LOT of investigation, we confirmed the following: A tow truck picked it up not using the jackpoints or wheel dolly, and then put it back down. We don't know which tow company it was, or why it happened. The repair autobody shop and some other professionals opinions guessed it might have been a case of mistaken identity - ie: they got the wrong car, maybe a repo, or they thought is was illegally parked but then realised it wasn't. It really was the strangest thing to happen. The repair was made to the underside of the battery and the side panels that were warped. I'll include photos. I'm updating this because I'm about to make a post on what happened to the car last Friday. What a string of bad luck we've had! Anyway, I'll try add the photos in case anyone wants to know what happens when your car gets lifted by a tow truck incorrectly.
View attachment 607422

So the damage is how far from the wheels?

I don't understand what kind of tow truck picks up cars near the middle of the car. They usually have forks that go around the wheels, and wouldn't extend that far to the middle of the car. How are you suggesting they picked up the car?

• Disagree
Reactions: katbc
So the damage is how far from the wheels?

I don't understand what kind of tow truck picks up cars near the middle of the car. They usually have forks that go around the wheels, and wouldn't extend that far to the middle of the car. How are you suggesting they picked up the car?

Here is a good video example of an illegally parked car getting picked up in the middle. This spot has a youtube channel for all the cars that get towed from it. Quite a few of the tows fall in the category of that's gonna leave a mark. These trucks are brutal.

Fast forward to 4:15 seconds

Here is a good video example of an illegally parked car getting picked up in the middle. This spot has a youtube channel for all the cars that get towed from it. Quite a few of the tows fall in the category of that's gonna leave a mark. These trucks are brutal.

Fast forward to 4:15 seconds

Yikes, I didn't realize those monkeys did that. Hopefully that's illegal. There's no way to lift a car like that without causing damage.

Nothing malicious here. Rocker plastic bowing is common - happened to my 2020 shortly after delviery.
The scrape on the underside is an impact of some kind - most likely something in the road you didn't notice.

RTFT :rolleyes:

Having looked more at the photos it doesn't appear obviously to be tow truck damage. Did anybody go over a speed bump too fast?

RTFT (again) :rolleyes:

I read the whole thread and just realized you're in BC. Yikes!!!
Are you surprised we have tow trucks that would do that? I am.. I thought Canadians were meant to be polite ;)
Insurance fixed it in the end and turned out the actually battery wasn't damaged.. just the covering and rocker panel which were cheap fixes for the insurance company. It really was unnerving though given we hadn't parked anywhere illegal.

Good to hear the battery wasn't damaged. Nothing surprises me with tow trucks and\or the drivers. Just took my M3 in yesterday to get the bumper repaired from a parallel parker playing bumper cars. Seems like they hit hard enough to require a bumper extrusion to be replaced whatever that is.

Are you surprised we have tow trucks that would do that? I am.. I thought Canadians were meant to be polite ;)
Insurance fixed it in the end and turned out the actually battery wasn't damaged.. just the covering and rocker panel which were cheap fixes for the insurance company. It really was unnerving though given we hadn't parked anywhere illegal.

I’d really like to believe that it’s very illegal for them to damage a car by picking it up like that just for a parking violation. Again, any car would sustain damage being picked up like that, maybe even more than a Tesla would be damaged.

The pictures look to me like it was caused bu improper jacking of the vehicle why would you jack your own car when we have the Tesla Tech service. Doesn't make sense to me I have been jacking cars all my life I bought my Tesla to get away from that stuff I use use the Tech service its very cheap and fast. My cars use to look like your from not taking the time to jack them properly. Good luck your damages do not look that bad

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The pictures look to me like it was caused bu improper jacking of the vehicle why would you jack your own car when we have the Tesla Tech service. Doesn't make sense to me I have been jacking cars all my life I bought my Tesla to get away from that stuff I use use the Tech service its very cheap and fast. My cars use to look like your from not taking the time to jack them properly. Good luck your damages do not look that bad

Why? Because the SC and an independent alignment shop both couldn't get the alignment right on my M3, so I had to do it myself. Found some the dreaded loose suspension bolts that the SC missed too. I just changed the suspension to MPP because the stock ride was so low quality with the springs and shocks Tesla choose for this car. More like, why not??

Haha, I see what you did there.

Read the whole thread. It was not improper jacking.